Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have these tires too. Accidentally ran one low (below the value where the tire is considered flat). I had the tire removed and inspected per federal requirements. The tire dealer told me that these are great tires and the RV tire, if ran low like I had done, would not have passed the inspection. He said these are very tough tires.

I am also glad to see others have said they think the ride is OK, although on a diesel coach. On my gas coach I think the tires may be partially responsible for the hard ride but I never had any basis for comparison.
I'm not that familiar with motor homes, however, on my equipment, including my diesel truck I run the pressure for the load to assist with ride comfort.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #16

I have the G661s and have put over 5,000 miles on them with no problem. Like the others have posted, if you keep the pressure right the ride will be right.

I even ran over some pretty bad roads, if you can call them roads, and the tires did fine.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:47 AM   #17

We ran almost 800 miles on the new tires in October, they performed well on some not so good secondary roads and other than the cross winds pushing us around a bit on the freeway, we had zero handling issues, nothing negative related to the tires.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #18

I had the G661 HSA installed on my coach June of 2014 and have 5K miles on them, so far very happy with them. They seem smooth and run cool. I run pressures according to weight. Only time will tell how they age, I will try to update at the 5 year mark, sooner if I have issues. My tire size is 265/75R22.5

The previous tires were GY 670 RV that were 10 years old, the tires looked amazingly well for the age, inside and out. The reason for replacing the tires is, I ended up with a deep cut in the inner left dual, and even though it didn't penetrate, it needed replacing asap.
I know of one fellow who has GY's (can't remember the model of the tire) on his drive and tax axles that were 14 years old and to my shock they still looked amazingly well, but 14 years is way too long for me. Even though we are both located in the northeast, which is a friendly climate for tire aging, that is still impressive for a tire that old. One thing is for sure, Goodyear RV and heavy truck tires won't dry rot on you like some other popular brand.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #19

I have 3500 miles on my G661's and they ride nice. A friend who drives for a living recommended them. He said they are a very durable tire.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #20

I find it very interesting that no one up to this point has mentioned rivering on the Goodyear rv tire. Not long ago there were many threads on just that problem. My steer tires ( G670 ) with about 30000 have that problem and I'm replacing them with Toyo,s.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
I find it very interesting that no one up to this point has mentioned rivering on the Goodyear rv tire. Not long ago there were many threads on just that problem. My steer tires ( G670 ) with about 30000 have that problem and I'm replacing them with Toyo,s.
This thread was about GY G661 HSA tires, which as far as I know have no rivering issues. It is well known that the GY G670 RV tires had rivering issues prone mostly on 22.5 wheels sizes, with sizes 255/70R22.5 & 275/70R22.5 H rated tires showing the biggest issues. It is less known that the key contributing factor of river wear is overinflation of these tires.
My own personal opinion and experience with G670 RV tires was, that the tires did have mild river wear in the front tires only (my front axle is very light, too underloaded), but they weathered extremely well (over 10 years) without any signs of cracking or aging from out side and in side. Considering how much these big tires cost, and how little miles we tend to put on them, I would rather put up with that odd wear and have the tire serve me ten years safely then having to change a competitor brand in three to five years because of dry rot. I have heard a lot of good things about Toyo tires, so you should be happy with them.
Just my to pennies.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by b17drvr View Post
I have 3500 miles on my G661's and they ride nice. A friend who drives for a living recommended them. He said they are a very durable tire.
Thank you for the needed feed back. I wish more people would resurrect these old posts to follow up on true experience of the various brand tires we use. It is crucial to have long term feed back, but sadly, most don't follow up.
My G661 HSA's have about the same miles and so far I'm happy too.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #23

As I mentioned previously, the PO installed them on my coach. I have 12K miles on them. Never had another tire so I can't compare but these have been great tires and I wouldn't hesitate to install them again.

Just a thought on my part, but I am wondering if the HSA design would help control the coach when a blowout occurs. Been thinking about this in light of the recent blowout threads.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #24

Commercial Member

With tread depth of 20/32"s I would expect worse fuel economy than from a more normal for RV application of 12 or 13/32.
Tread wear is seldom an issue for RV owners as tires normally age-out before they wear out.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I put a set of 1100 22.5 's on my coach. I had 295/70 22.5's on it and the 1100's are a little taller. I am ok for clearance but I don't think the 1200's would fit.
I had a class 8 truck that came with 1200 22,5's and we switched it to 1100's. The cost and availability of the 1200's were an issue. They had a very tall sidewall and I found them a little squirmy.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #26

My Goodyear 661 HSA's will be seven years old next summer so I will be looking for replacements. Wanted to resurrect this old thread to see if there is additional feedback on these tires. I am very happy with mine and plan to buy again but wanted to see what others were finding with more miles.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
My Goodyear 661 HSA's will be seven years old next summer so I will be looking for replacements. Wanted to resurrect this old thread to see if there is additional feedback on these tires. I am very happy with mine and plan to buy again but wanted to see what others were finding with more miles.
Completing a full season on mine (front only) and find that they actually have improved handling over the Goodyear RV tires I removed. My rear Michelins will be seven years old next year, so when the time comes I will most likely replace with the Goodyear 661.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I have six G661s (265/75R22.5) that were installed on my 'new to me' motorhome two years ago when I upgraded from a travel trailer. At the time, the G661s were more readily available than Michelin and Continental RV tires and about 25% lower cost. The lower cost is what intrigued me the most as the new tires would reach an age limit long before a mileage limit. My motorhome is a 39 foot overall length Damon Astoria model 3774 that has a gross vehicle weight rating of 28,000 pounds. The G661s have handled very well for all types or road conditions from dry to very heavy rain and provide a comfortable ride. I keep all six tires inflated to 100 psi. With these tires my fuel mileage is ~9 mpg driving 65 mph.

If you're like me and use your motorhome for long weekend outings and 5,000'ish miles per year, the G661s are a good, lower cost option for new tires. I also have no doubts the G661s would be a good option for much more extensive motorhome use/traveling than what I do.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires