Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
My Goodyear 661 HSA's will be seven years old next summer so I will be looking for replacements. Wanted to resurrect this old thread to see if there is additional feedback on these tires. I am very happy with mine and plan to buy again but wanted to see what others were finding with more miles.
Vettenuts,

Thank you for resurrecting this thread, as it is crucial to give feed back of tires at the end of their life cycle. I have had my 661 HSA (265/75R22.5) tires for 4 years now and 14K miles, they have been flawless. This year especially, they really got put through their paces on dirt roads (disbursed camping), very rough roads (I90-Indiana Tollway), and real heavy rain. The tires are impressive and durable, I was very surprised how they did in heavy rain. Some sections of road even had standing water, and they sliced right through. I did notice that when going through heavy rain the tires get noisy, but it actually works like a warning bell to let you know the road is loaded and to slow down. One of my friends has these same tires for five years/20K miles, and he is very happy with them and has had no issues.

Are you having any aging issues (weathering, cracking) showing up on these tires? The reason I ask, is GY tires age extremely well, and unless you are mostly in places like AZ during the summer, 7 years is a bit premature to change for a GY tire. I know many who use GY tires and they usually change them out every ten years with zero issues and no signs of aging, inside and out. My own experience has been the same on my last set of tires. I know of one extreme case, where the crazy RVer has 15+ year old GY tires on the rear of his rig, and they are only now starting to show a tiny hint of aging. I would never take that kind of risk, but I am monitoring these tires to see the durability limits of this brand. It is foolish from the operator side, to take that kind of risk, but impressive from the GY tire side, to see how resilient they are.

Ultimately, it is up to you on when you want to retire your old tires, but I don't think you will have any regrets with buying the 661 HSA tires if you choose to.

When you do retire the tires, please give a detailed review of them, as in, how old, how many miles, any weather checking/cracking on side wall and in-between the treads. Also, please look at the condition of the tire on the inside, once they are removed. This often gets overlooked/forgotten, but is equally important.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #30

I replaced the front Goodyear 670s with 661HSAs in Jan '13 due to uneven wear (alignment issues). Had it aligned with the 661HSAs and have put approximately 22k on them. Still look great and handle great in west weather.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach house View Post
Vettenuts,

Thank you for resurrecting this thread, as it is crucial to give feed back of tires at the end of their life cycle. I have had my 661 HSA (265/75R22.5) tires for 4 years now and 14K miles, they have been flawless. This year especially, they really got put through their paces on dirt roads (disbursed camping), very rough roads (I90-Indiana Tollway), and real heavy rain. The tires are impressive and durable, I was very surprised how they did in heavy rain. Some sections of road even had standing water, and they sliced right through. I did notice that when going through heavy rain the tires get noisy, but it actually works like a warning bell to let you know the road is loaded and to slow down. One of my friends has these same tires for five years/20K miles, and he is very happy with them and has had no issues.

Are you having any aging issues (weathering, cracking) showing up on these tires?

Ultimately, it is up to you on when you want to retire your old tires, but I don't think you will have any regrets with buying the 661 HSA tires if you choose to.

When you do retire the tires, please give a detailed review of them, as in, how old, how many miles, any weather checking/cracking on side wall and in-between the treads. Also, please look at the condition of the tire on the inside, once they are removed. This often gets overlooked/forgotten, but is equally important.

In actuality, my tires look new. I don't have any cracks or signs of age. However, I am in New England and bought the coach from the original owner in June 2014. He stored covered outside whereas I now store the coach in an indoor facility over the winter. So now the tires are completely devoid of light for almost six months of the year.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again based on my experience and had only planned on next year due to the recommended seven year replacement cycle. Maybe I need to get input from Goodyear prior to swapping them out. While I don't mind replacing if they are a safety concern, I certainly don't want to prematurely replace them either.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #32

Quote:
In actuality, my tires look new. I don't have any cracks or signs of age. However, I am in New England and bought the coach from the original owner in June 2014. He stored covered outside whereas I now store the coach in an indoor facility over the winter. So now the tires are completely devoid of light for almost six months of the year.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again based on my experience and had only planned on next year due to the recommended seven year replacement cycle. Maybe I need to get input from Goodyear prior to swapping them out. While I don't mind replacing if they are a safety concern, I certainly don't want to prematurely replace them either.
Considering that you are also from the northeast and you store your coach inside and the rubber is GY, the odds are very much in your favor for the tires to last a lot longer than the average RV tire. Many coach owners spend a lot of time down in the hot south and often use other brands, that is why the average is 7 years. If you are not sure, you can always take the coach to an authorized Goodyear dealer, and have them inspect the tires. Maybe even have them inspect it yearly every spring...

Are the sidewalls of your tires smooth or is it starting to look/feel leathery?
Do you have a tendency to drive in excess of 65mph on your coach?

If the side walls are still fairly smooth and your speeds are usually 65 or less, and given the region your from and storage of coach, you should easily get another 3 years out of them. But again, do what you comfortable with.

BTW, if you do decide to change them, consider keeping the old ones and selling them on Craigs List. Tires in that good shape with sell quick. Sometimes the tire dealer will offer money for them too.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #33

Wanted to resurrect this thread again with an update. Have been looking to replace my Goodyear G661's with the same tire. They have been replaced by the Goodyear Endurance RSA. Supposed to be a better tire than the G661, but I haven't found much feedback on them. Dealer buys directly from Goodyear so the date codes "should" be recent but are out of his and my control.

Anyone have any feedback on the Goodyear Endurance RSA?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #34

Happy to see this thread back up and running, not happy to hear that the 661s are no longer available. My rear tires are Michelin which were installed in 2011 but still look great. I had intended to replace them with 661s as I did the front tires given that I'm extremely happy with them. My storage is indoors all the time other than vacation weeks, so perhaps that will allow them to run beyond this season? Either way I may call around to see if I can find some 661 rubber available.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #35

Goodyear still makes the G661. I checked with my local dealer and he said they are still available. He said the RSA is a good tire too (but he sells them so take that with a grain of salt).
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #36

Goodyear G661 HSA 12R22.5 tires

I will check with my dealer on the 661 (maybe it's my specific size) although Goodyear does indicate advantages of the Endurance RSA over the 661 and until the end of March they have a special on them. I have been very happy with my 661's so if the new design is better I may just give them a try. Also sent an email to Goodyear about the G661. Will report back what I find.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #37

The RSA’s look interesting. Price is good too.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by b17drvr View Post
The RSA’s look interesting. Price is good too.

Yes. I can’t install until April but may order and pay for the tires this month to catch the promotion.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Happy to see this thread back up and running, not happy to hear that the 661s are no longer available. My rear tires are Michelin which were installed in 2011 but still look great. I had intended to replace them with 661s as I did the front tires given that I'm extremely happy with them. My storage is indoors all the time other than vacation weeks, so perhaps that will allow them to run beyond this season? Either way I may call around to see if I can find some 661 rubber available.
Monkey Run,

Your location (CNY) is much easier on the tires, you could easily get 1 to 3 more years out of them. With inside storage to boot, you could easily exceed that (no sense in throwing away money replacing good tires). Goodyear 671RV tires age extremely well in the northeast, the HSA seem to age just as well. When I had my last set (aged 10yrs.) replaced, the tire guy said that the tires looked great inside and out, with no signs of aging.

the G661HSA tires are still made and are a good bang for the buck.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #40

Quote:
I will check with my dealer on the 661 (maybe it's my specific size) although Goodyear does indicate advantages of the Endurance RSA over the 661 and until the end of March they have a special on them. I have been very happy with my 661's so if the new design is better I may just give them a try. Also sent an email to Goodyear about the G661. Will report back what I find.
Vettenuts,

It seems the main plus of the new RSA over the HSA is the tread compound that enhances fuel mileage, which is not a bad thing. With the promotion, is the RSA less money than the HSA?
Also, the HSA tires can be had in the same size as the RSA's and then additional size too, so its possible that the tire shop told you a small fib, because he is trying to promote/push the new tire.

How old are your current HSA's?
How are the aging wearing?
Please provide a detailed review/feedback on these tires, to help others know how the worked for you. If you can, and don't mind, when you have the tires removed, have the tire guy inspect the interior and exterior of the tires for aging issues and other potential issues, as this will help us know how well these tires age.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #41

Goodyear G661 HSA 12R22.5 tires

I just spent some time on the Goodyear website and it appears the only size available for the G661 HSA is 285/75R24.5, which isn’t the size I need. Probably need to verify with Goodyear but I did read the G661 HSA production was in limited sizes. If this is true, those available online in other sizes may be older stock.

If you follow this link and select “View all sizes and specs” they only now show one size. Retreads are available.

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...rodline=160617
Old 03-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #42

Quote:
I just spent some time on the Goodyear website and it appears the only size available for the G661 HSA is 285/75R24.5, which isn’t the size I need. Probably need to verify with Goodyear but I did read the G661 HSA production was in limited sizes. If this is true, those available online in other sizes may be older stock.

If you follow this link and select “View all sizes and specs” they only now show one size. Retreads are available.

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...rodline=160617
Hmm. Maybe they are phasing them out, which would be a real bummer. I'm going to try and make some calls Monday and see if I can find more information on this.

Tags
tires