Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

Goodyear G661 HSA 12R22.5 tires

I've been trying to research this tire and found where a few folks have asked questions about them but I've found no responses. Does anyone have these tires on your coach? If so, how do you like them. We have PDI scheduled for next weekend; these brand new tires on are the coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you inquiring about the Goodyear G661 tire model or the fact that they are the 12R22.5 size? Or maybe both?

The G661 is designed for heavy vehicles that do a lot of maneuvering, i.e. turning & backing. It's what tire engineers call a "high scrub" application, where the tire gets dragged sideways a lot and need to be tough. It's the opposite of a highway use tire, which runs predominantly straight ahead. City buses and local delivery trucks are considered high scrub applications. Motorhomes are typically more of a highway application, but yours may differ.

The 12R22.5 tire size is a tall tire, with a sidewall aspect ratio of roughly .85. You can think of it as a 12/85R22.5 size, so taller sidewalls than an 80 or 75 series tire.

The only important thing is whether that tire has the load capacity needed to support the axle weight of the coach. Learn the axle GAWRs and then cross-check to the max load capacity stamped in the tire sidewall. The G661 12R22.5 is rated for 7390 lb single and 6780 lb dual. And make sure the tire inflation psi is sufficient for the actual loaded weight.

I'm running Continental HSR2 11R22.5's on my rear axle, as a substitute for the original 295/80R22.5 G670's. I'm quite pleased with them. I could use 12R22.5's on the front and might do so when the time comes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

Inquiring about the tire, how it rides, wears and resists sun damage.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have no experience with that particular model, but it has very deep tread (20/32's) and so should wear for many, many miles in motorhome use. Upwards of 60k miles? Possibly more miles than you will ever put on them before they age out (8-10 years).

All modern tires have UV protection built in, though some more than others. I personally don't think there is a significant difference in sun-life between something like the G670 (which boats its UV protection) and commercial grade tires like the G661. Others will probably disagree with me.

Likewise I don't think there is any notable difference in ride quality either, but others swear their Michelin XZE (or similar) ride much softer than other brands. I suspect it has more to do with getting the psi set correctly for the load than tire model, but again, that's a popular subject for debate on sites such as this. Tires ride on air, not the stiffness of their sidewalls, and the air pressure has to be great enough to support the weight of the coach. A different tire model can't get around the basic physics of an inflatable tire: psi x tire contact area = weight supported
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

I'm a having 6 Goodyear 661's installed in my 39ft diesel pusher today. I'll report back on how they handle, noise, etc. they have a max rating of 120 psi and I am going to start at 110 and adjust as needed. Any feedback since this thread is a little dated?
Jfligner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Also following this as I'm looking at the same tire for my rv.
sc3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #7

No complaints

I've got around 5,000 miles on mine now with no problems. They ride good to me. I run 110# of air in all eight. Initially the coach wondered a bit but I found that was an alignment issue. Got that fixed and it drives great.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #8

Quick update... I've put about 1000 miles on these tires and they have been great! I found 120 PSI to be to my liking in all 6. I have a quiet, smooth ride and the tires look great.

I recommend to anyone looking for a nice replacement tire.
Jfligner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Have Goodyear tires on our coach, no complaints, 110 psi and using nitrogen as it is less effected by temperature changes and leak down is less due to larger molecules of the gas.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I had these tires on my 38" gas gulfstream and they rode out good but did rumble at higher speeds, 70's and down hills
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #11

Happy I found this thread, after reading it, I ordered new 661s for the front of my 39' coach. The Michelin are back ordered 3-4 weeks out and are almost $200 more per tire. My price on these is $510 each plus install.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #12

Put around 4000 miles on my new 661s and love the ride and feel.
Scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #13

The RV Goodyears, which is what is on the front but 10 years old, still look like new, I hate having to toss them.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #14

I have these tires too. Accidentally ran one low (below the value where the tire is considered flat). I had the tire removed and inspected per federal requirements. The tire dealer told me that these are great tires and the RV tire, if ran low like I had done, would not have passed the inspection. He said these are very tough tires.

I am also glad to see others have said they think the ride is OK, although on a diesel coach. On my gas coach I think the tires may be partially responsible for the hard ride but I never had any basis for comparison.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires