Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #1

Goodyear G670 295/80r22.5 blowout x2

As many have previously posted I would strongly encourage anyone running Goodyear G670 295/80r22.5 to immmediately remove and replace them. We suffered (2)! Blowouts this weekend on rear tandems. We were enroute home after replacing 1 when the other blewout about 200 miles later - to our disbelief!

Both rear tires are coming up on 6yrs old and 40,000 miles. Always had them covered with wheel covers, check pressure (105psi) every fuel stop, and no signs of unusual wear and not even slight cracking. Still 50%+ tread depth left. Was thinking about replacing before trip (even though tires in great shape via inspection) but replacement tires back order and scheduled to arrive till end of week after return from trip.

I saved both tires from the blowout and will be sending them to Goodyear PDC for full replacement + repair for the damage caused by their defective tires. If they choose to not handle then I am looking for an attorney that needs my evidence to take on Goodyear with another Motorhome tire class action lawsuit. These tires are deadly and should not be sold any more. Stay away from the G670 - I’m giving the Toyo M144 a try next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1491A6CB-EDED-4B7B-9BDD-63A82BDCB6D3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	334988   Click image for larger version

Name:	C429B2A0-87EA-4E27-B2C7-298171B9EF27.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	334989  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4AB62D8E-C690-4F4E-845C-869CCB3AFD0A.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	334991   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4DADCAC-5607-44F9-8129-41826DE98E15.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	334992  

MikeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did you have TPMS, and if so, what brand and what were its indications?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

All data indicates the 2nd tire failure was to be expected; when the 1st one failed it put the entire load on the 2nd tire/dual.
FWIW the vast majority of tire failures are the result of underinflation/overloading.
Read this Goodyear pdf, the tire loading section. It states, "Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."

Many here have had a reliable experience with Goodyear RV tires, I know i have.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know you're mad, but you won't get far with Good Year. They're six years old and it would take an examination by Good Year, which usually turns out in their favor......funny how that works.

Only once did I get Good Year to replace a G70....it had a knot in the sidewall. Their adjuster told me it was an alignment problem.....I was able to prove that it only had 3K miles on it.....he had a different story then and replaced it no charge....idiot!

You have your own issues, the two tires you're showing have been running underinflated, not severely, but you can see that in the shoulder wear, on the inside and outside tread, on both tires. It was known that the G670's required 5 more psi than their chart called for, to solve some of their wear issues, like "rivering" and underinflation.

Your best bet, let the insurance company resolve your damage and move on. For me personally, I will never own another set of Good Year tires, both RV and automotive. Just my way of protesting their products. I won't even buy their wiper blades.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sorry to hear of your incident and glad to hear everyone was safe but I have to ask why you would still be driving on them if you were aware of the many incidents of failure, especially considering that they we're six years old. The only driving I would do on those bombs would be to get it to a tire shop to have them replaced.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
"Always had them covered with wheel covers, check pressure (105psi) every fuel stop"

Which means that if you were checking them hot at a fuel stop - you under inflated the tires. Then on top of that - as others noted -once the first one blew - the second one became overloaded and thus it was doomed as well. Sounds like time for new tires all around.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
OP says psi check was at every fuel stop with a just off the road tire temp he's @ 105 psi....I wonder what cold tire air pressure was... Hate to be a buzz killer, I ain't a fan of Goodyear either, I'm running a set now... but ain't no tire gonna make it low pressure.

Maybe OP will update it, but 1st post was just to flame tire mfg....

Edit: me and waterman above was typing the same time!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #8

That exact size and model tire is a KNOWN problem and unfortunately was used on hundreds of DP chassis. I had two sets of them on the steering axle of my Spartan K2 chassis (Entegra) and nobody, including multiple GY Wingfoot truck service centers, could get any of those 4 tires balanced. I got rid of the second set after reading many, many posts about blowouts and crashes caused by this particular tire.
I don’t know if they still make that tire and model, or not, but I will never buy another GY tire. Period.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #9

what about other sizes?

Is this an issue with all goodyears? I'm currently running 245/75 22.5 on my gasser. Should I be worried?
jeff0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #10

The problems are only with the G670 AFAIK, and underinflation is always the issue. SIDEWALL MAX ALWAYS.

If the sidewall max isn't enough for your load, then you need a stronger tire.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #11

If you haven't done so, you might consider sending your pics to Tireman9 for his expert opinion. He has a lot of experience in post analysis of tire failures and may be able to provide some insight.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #12

Amazing how many archchair experta like to chime and place blame. This was posted to remind everyone that like many others have seen first hand, these Goodyear G670 tires are a safety risk and I have seen two failures within 2 days in 2 tires. Ignore or respect , but sharing to help encourage others to ditch the G670 as soon as feasible. After the blowout I googled “G670 blowout” and wa surprised at how many had similar issues recently.

- Tire pressure always checked daily COLD before travel and set to 105psi. Monaco recommended 100psi for this chassis but I always felt that was too low for a tire with max load rating at 125psi. Fuel stop checks typically averaged 115-125 psi depending on air/road temps. Mostly check warm to lensure no PSI drop between fuel stops but absolute PSI not as relevant.

- even running them 5 lbs high, that is the way they wear in my rig, slightly more wear on outside which I’m told is due to the crown within the worn right-hand traffic lanes from traffic wear (outside of tires wear faster on the concave lane) Take a close look at right-hand travel lanes and you’ll see the “rut” clearly on most roads

- tire load rating is 7810 lbs per tire, and coach weight is 23,000 lbs on rear axle, so they were not undersized.

- i previously had a steer G670 blow out in 2017 within 15,000 miles (1 yr) and thought it was a fluke. I don’t recall or I didn’t Google back then and since It was covered by Goodyear PDC claim and I put two more G670 on to replace. Now I know better and pulling those 2 steer tires off with about 25,000 miles on them.

- inspection of failed tires shows exactly same break of radial cables - visible rust is seen starting on the non-broken cables and I believe there is a true design and manufacturing defect with these tires just like the G159.

Personally I won’t risk my families life with a tire that appears almost guaranteed to fail. I hope you won’t either - and if you run the Goodyear G670 without issue consider yourself very lucky. I don’t have personal experience with Goodyear RV tires outside the flawed G670.
MikeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #13

Typically when one dual lets go, the other one is smoked too. So the second failure really doesn’t surprise me. Too many variables to say why the first one blew, it’s hard to blame poor manufacturing when they lasted 6 years.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeATX View Post

- Tire pressure always checked daily COLD before travel and set to 105psi. Monaco recommended 100psi for this chassis but I always felt that was too low for a tire with max load rating at 125psi. Fuel stop checks typically averaged 115-125 psi depending on air/road temps. Mostly check warm to lensure no PSI drop between fuel stops but absolute PSI not as relevant.
Rust on the cables is a severe flaw in the tire casing, but the inside and outside wear patterns does still suggest underinflation b/c the centers just aren't pressing as hard on the roadway. The inflation at 105 is probably still low - and underinflation leads to excessive flexing in the sidewalls, more heat absorption, and this is exacerbated by hot summertime roads which are easily cooking at 150 degrees or so.

Then there is the tire itself - I haven't looked it up specifically, but are these listed as a "regional service" tire? That means LOW SPEEDS and SHORT TRIPS, neither of which an RV is likely to do. I know there was a problem with Goodyear regional / delivery tires being put into service on RVs, and subsequently many failures. They might also not have the speed rating for what you were doing with them, although that is usually not an issue with RVs..... If they are city / regional rated, they could be 55mph rated which just adds to the problems.

I have 5 Goodyear tires and one Continental on my coach right now, but they are all Marathon RSA (one RST) which are specifically designed for 75mph highway operation and long trip duration. I bought them used, from delivery service and they were pulled b/c they were starting to river. With my Centramatic balancers and full inflation, the rivering has been all scrubbed off the surface and they run smooth now.

I plan to look for more of the Continental tire though when I need more, as I like the fact that that one seems far stronger in holding the load, much less obvious bulge at the bottom.