Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #1

Goodyear Tires

I just saw an ad for "Full Measure with Sharyl Attkisson" discussing defective Goodyear truck tires. Several of the photos appeared to be of Motorhome crashes. Our local Fox station has it scheduled for Sunday morning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Wish I could find more info on that. Don’t have TV but maybe I can get it on my iPad. Any idea what time? And time zone? Thanks!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:01 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Not available on my Dish but check fullmeasure.news looks like that episode will be available online after Feb 16th.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m having some issues with my G647s so I went here: https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/recall to check my tires, and here:
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/company/register-tires to register them
Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
This link looks like it will get you to the story tomorrow

Coming Up: February 16, 2020 | Full Measure
Old 02-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

Perhaps this is the background: https://thomasjhenrylaw.com/blog/pro...dhesion-issue/
and, https://www.newsomelaw.com/goodyear-tire-recall/

I cannot think of a tire mfgr. that has never had tire recalls.
Then there is this: https://www.mediamatters.org/sinclai...nformation-and
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I had terrible experience with my Goodyears, including irregular wear, poor ride, and ultimately a front tire blowout at 65 mph which caused $10,000 in damage to my coach. I threw all the other tires away, even though they were less than 5 years old and had most of their tread remaining. In my opinion, Goodyears are junk.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

The ad for the show made it sound like Goodyear knew of the defects and failed to report to the NTSB as required by law.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
The ad for the show made it sound like Goodyear knew of the defects and failed to report to the NTSB as required by law.
IMO, hype to suck in viewers, isn't that the purpose of adds? Did you open my last link?

I suppose the same may be said of Michelin tires: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mic...ly-440163.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
No I didn’t but I think I’m done with Goodyear tires
Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
No I didn’t but I think I’m done with Goodyear tires
X2. To many other good options like Toyo.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #12

Highlights from the show:
G159 tire, early 2000's version originally designed for stop and go local delivery trucks, not speed/temperature tested for long distance use. Temperature rating was OK for local use but high speed use for long distance generated excessive heat.

Over 250 highway speed accidents.
98 injuries or deaths and over 600 property damage claims.
NHTSA evaluation: "Failures may stem from a safety related defect"
"Claimants contend the Goodyear G159 tires were allegedly not designed for extended use at highway speeds as would be experienced during motor home operation."

Allegations of cover-up.
Draw your own conclusions. I'm only passing on information.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
Highlights from the show:
G159 tire, early 2000's version originally designed for stop and go local delivery trucks, not speed/temperature tested for long distance use. Temperature rating was OK for local use but high speed use for long distance generated excessive heat.
This brings to light a good reason to read the mfg's documentation on what a tire is designed for. I once had a tire dealer quote new tires for my motorhome and I was not familiar with the model so looked them up. Those tires were for stop and go type activity and limited highway use...mostly on garbage trucks. He may have been trying to get rid of some inventory that hadn't moved and since the size was right, quoted them hoping I wouldn't check. I don't know for sure, but I am glad I took the time to look.

So don't trust a tire dealer to pick your tires for you. Like every other highly important purchase, do the homework to understand what is being purchased.

FWIW, I've had several motorhomes with Goodyears and never had an issue. I have had two sidewall blowouts, both on Michelins that were getting to the maximum age for RV tires. I'm sure it could happen with any brand, this is just my experience.

Tags
tires