Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Using a 3M eraser wheel in a drill the decals will come off fairly quickly. There will still be a good bit of prep work once all the decals are off plus the labor involved in manufacture of the decals. The there's installation which will probably take a crew just to get them straight and bubble free. Under $1K is a good price.
A little off topic, but I have a little experience removing decals (when I worked as a mechanic we would have to remove the decals on the old police cars and maintenance vehicles before they went to auction).

I remember my first time trying to scrap them off and it was a nightmare (they are very brittle and chip off in little slivers/chunks) then an old-timer mechanic showed me the heat gun method. You just heat the decals and they soften up nicely and peel off in one stretchy piece like a fresh bumper sticker.
Of course the more area you can heat at one time the larger the piece is that will peel off. No damage to the paint as the heat gun does not get hot enough to burn paint.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
and they soften up nicely and peel off in one stretchy piece like a fresh bumper sticker. t.
A few do. Many do not. BTDT
Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

Just got a quote of 825$ to remove and replace
all the beat up Decals on my 2005 Damon Daybreak 35ft class A.

Material is Metalic vinyl and has a 6 year durability.

I probably woild go with a differenet colour.

How does the price seem?

Thanks,

Edit: Its 725$ for non metallic ones.
In my opinion, if I had to replace the decals, I would do a full paint job and include any design features I wanted. Moby Dick and the New Bedford waterfront, or maybe an Alaskan mural. Just a thought. Your money not mine. Spend wisely because you will have to redo them again.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Here's a link to what I did on our last rig. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/new-graphics-178796.html

Did it all myself, and I'll just say that old baked on graphics are a TON of work to remove. But, got consistent compliments on the end result up until we sold her.

Wow, I like what you did and that companies website. Think I will contact them.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #33

[QUOTE=DGundy;4123059]In my opinion, if I had to replace the decals, I would do a full paint job and include any design features I wanted. Moby Dick and the New Bedford waterfront, or maybe an Alaskan mural. Just a thought. Your money not mine. Spend wisely because you will have to redo them

Paint would be nice but not worth it on a 20k coach.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #34

[QUOTE=1stMH;4124376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
In my opinion, if I had to replace the decals, I would do a full paint job and include any design features I wanted. Moby Dick and the New Bedford waterfront, or maybe an Alaskan mural. Just a thought. Your money not mine. Spend wisely because you will have to redo them

Paint would be nice but not worth it on a 20k coach.
I was thinking the same thing. Although, there are places in Mexico you can get a whole coach done for $7,000 which is a pretty good deal and they do a good job.

I have partial paint on the lower half and my graphics are paint so they look pretty good. Except for the front, I think on the hood is stickers. The gelcoat on the other hand is aging, which sucks. Next coach...full body paint. By the time I get a new one, the full body paint ones will trickle down to my all cash price range.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
A few do. Many do not. BTDT
Mine were emphatically in the latter camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Wow, I like what you did and that companies website. Think I will contact them.
Thanks! Despite all of the work, it really updated the rig. Definitely a sweat equity item.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
I had thought about a wrap too, much like we see on our buses. My question with this idea was with regard to how long it would hold up. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this?

DJ
My Son had his Jeep Wrangler 4 door wrapped. Said it was good protection for paint and can be removed if sold. Original cost was about 2 grand I think.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
I got a quote a few years ago for the full replacement graphics set (4 colors) for our 2005 34' National Dolphin and it was $2200 US, not including shipping them to me from California to Canada or any labor to remove old & install new ones. Though the graphic set was more and larger pieces, I think your quote is very good.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
I just got quoted almost $3000 for a complete set of the original Damon Daybreak decals. Therefore below $1000 seems to me like a steal!
Thinking out loud I thought maybe if we get 5+ Damon Daybreak (ours is a 2006) owners together who want to replace the decals, we order one set and make another 5+ to split the cost. Anyone?

Tina
busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi DJ,

I just googled rv wraps in my hometown in Michigan.

Not sure if we are going to go ahead yet.
Where? I'm not that far from Michigan, and that could be worth the trip.

Tags
ace, class a, replace