Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got all my windows tinted this week!!

I got all the windows tinted on my Fleetwood 40X this week. It looks amazing and is going to be really nice for rolling down the road and when camping!
I also did a 24" windshield visor and it is fantastic!!
20 pieces of glass plus the windshield. Costly but well worth it!
Hats off to Mike (owner) of Tint Works in Vernon Hills Illinois!! Great job Mike!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well show it off post some pictures !!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got pictures? Especoally the visor. I have done the driver and passenger sides to keep the heat down and sunburn at bay.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I trust your wndows are not dual pane? Windows will heat-up and lose the air seal, causing foging.
fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I trust your wndows are not dual pane? Windows will heat-up and lose the air seal, causing foging.
fred
Is this true?? They tint house windows all the time. I know motorhomes have problems with fogging windows.
Hey Craig at least you had good weather and didn't have to drive on salty roads.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here are a few pictures guys!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Billy's Bike 171.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	30504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Billy's Bike 173.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	30505  

Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is the way to go Guys!!! I had it done in my building by The Tintworks in Vernon Hills!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Billy's Bike 172.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	30508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Billy's Bike 168.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	30509  

Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
Is this true?? They tint house windows all the time. I know motorhomes have problems with fogging windows.
Hey Craig at least you had good weather and didn't have to drive on salty roads.
Normal auto tint will not work. They must use special household tint on your RV windows if double paned. BTDT.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
windshield tint

I like the windshield tint especially out here in Az and it makes a whole lot of sense to me and I will get ours done.

Thanks for the idea
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the most remarkable coincidence, I learned something about my home state this week, courtesy of a city police person

Iowa has the most stringent anti-tint statutes of any state in the union. I've been driving my pickup, bought used, for a year when I was pulled over by a local PD. Being an innocent person I inquired what had brought me to his attention. Whereupon he said that under Iowa Code, tinted windows on the driver and passenger sides of any motor vehicle must pass 70% of light: essentially they can be no darker than any OEM tinted windshield. "Eyebrow" tints darker than that are not allowed, and effective 7/3/2012, no new medical exemption for eye photosensitivity will be allowed Existing medical exemptions will be honored until such time as the individual with the doctor statement sells/trades the vehicle, at which time the vehicle must be brought into compliance (ie: strip the tinting from the side windows).

I had actually thought I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as I'd driven the vehicle for a year and never been stopped and thought maybe it was just one of the local enforcement "favorites". And I thought (being a retired LEO myself) that if push came to shove and it went to court, how could an officer determine whether 70% of light was passing through the tint without some light meter?

But when I spoke with my car dealership, it turned out the service manager had an unpleasant encounter with an Iowa highway patrolman who gave him 48 hours to get the vehicle in compliance. Further research showed that NO aftermarket tint supplier makes a tint that passes 70% of light. So all any officer would have to prove in court was that the vehicle had aftermarket window tint on the driver and/or passenger windows (rear seat and rear windows are exempt from the statute). Each tinted window constitutes a violation.

What does this cautionary tale have to do with non-Iowans? Simply this: out of state registered vehicles are NOT EXEMPT from enforcement action

So three days ago I contributed $164.37 to my Chevy dealer's body shop in return for the 2 hours it took them to remove the aftermarket tint and associated adhesive from the driver and passenger windows. But hey, it's Christmas....

So if you're traveling the fair state of Iowa...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #11

Aggie,

All may not be lost! Just last week I was reading about a tint that tremendously cuts heat and UV rays, but is almost totally clear. So clear, it's frequently used directly on windshields. I'm traveling right now, but I think I've got it at home.

I like tinting during the heat of a summer day, but hate it during long winter nights ~ it obscures too much then!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #12

Our windows have been tinted on ALL of our vehicles including the MOHO since the day or week that we purchase our vehicles new or used. We work with a local company that tints both flat glass and vehicles we make decals and wraps for them some tint is better than others the newest to hit the market is pinnacle almost total heat blockage/reflection and is offered in different levels of darkness. Tint on an rv is awesome less heat, more privacy etc etc etc.....
As for the windshield we had ours done but ended up removing it as it made me want to dink down to see under the edge but i think ours was 20 inches down

Tint rocks i say everyone should check into having it done.
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love tinted windows but I had to take the bottom half off my front ,side windows, when backing up in the dark, the tinted windows I had to look through to see the mirrors. made it almost impossible to see.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
The tinting film I bought for the stick house specifically said not to apply to the inside of dual pane windows, so I didn't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote