Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #15

As sbleiweiss, we live in Sedona too. But we really wouldn't stay in Sedona with a RV (class A in particular). It's tight and there are a number of round-a-bouts. Rancho Sedona is, from what we have seen, the only place that can take a class A without being cramped. And they seemed to be always booked. You really can't drive uptown and 89A north to Flagstaff can be a handful during the weekends and some weekdays. Plus it is a pretty steep drive the last 2 miles. Not to mention the I-17 north from Sedona, is a pretty good climb of 8 to 11% for around 12 miles. So not to be a Donny Downer..... Sedona is a great place to visit but... it's not much for RV's... IMHO.... We have in the past stayed at Williams with better results in finding a RV camp park. Grand Canyon Railway RV park is right next to the train station that will take you to the Grand Canyon. It's pretty new too so everything is fresh and friendly. Great places to eat also. And during the summer months, there are a couple of KOA's that nicer than most KOA's if you can believe that. RV's in the park will limit you as to where you can park alongside the road also. What do we do when we go to GC???? We take the motorcycle.... Have fun and plan early.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you take the train from Williams, see if you can get Amber Rose's car. She is a hoot. The strolling musicians are OK, but the 'train robbery' is a hokey bit of fun...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #17

We did both north and south rim this year , south rim we stayed at koa in Williams, took the train ride to the Canyon, fun but hokie, but the north rim is specular, stayed in the park 10.00 a night large spaces that will accommodate up to 42' but the real deal is stopping at the entrance getting a map of the entire park area and finding a free sight overlooking the rim and "boondocking" for days without seeing another person only animals.
charliearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbow View Post
Any help appreciated.
We are planning a mid May trip from Mo to the Grand Canyon south rim.
Have never been. Just starting research.
Any advice or where to find travel plans appreciated.
And if you are going in may 2018 you need to book now.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #19

Was there in May of 17. Let's start with trailer village. There are no, none, nada zilch level spots in this camp ground. Be prepared for that. As said plenty of rental units and non US folks. Learn how to use the shuttles. Get on off etc. makes getting around much faster. Food places in park are okay. Nothing great. We stayed for 4 days and could have done more. Verizon worked okay but not great no other cell signals. Tv sporadic. Bring movies or satellite.
Lots of elk roam thru. Since your from Mo. and is flatish Do not bring your bicycles. You won't make it around the campground. It's 7,000 ft. Been there and about died. Take groceries before you go in. Nothing is cheap there.
Stock up in Williams. Have fun.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
One comment on Williams, I stayed there at the RV park by the GCNP rail terminal and took the train into GCNP, lots of fun. The town is very walkable from there, lots of stores and places to eat. Only down side is that Williams is on a main east west rail line and trains roll thru at night, and there are grade crossings where they must signal with their air horns, so you may get woke up a few times during the night if you stay there.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Was there in May of 17.
I'm sure there was but I'm not sure what's relevant about that. If he's going in May 2019 it's too soon to make reservations.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
If you take the train from Williams, see if you can get Amber Rose's car. She is a hoot. The strolling musicians are OK, but the 'train robbery' is a hokey bit of fun...
Train robbery was fun, my little on said Dad got a gun? I said nope left it in the camper, and I got a FOR REAL!!!! We will never forget the trip as the kid infront of us was licking all the condensation off the window in front of us, 4 years later my son still talks about the window licker.
mwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm sure there was but I'm not sure what's relevant about that. If he's going in May 2019 it's too soon to make reservations.
Don't see anywhere about 2019 and I think whats "relevant" is Slice was there in May and the OP is traveling in May.?
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:07 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Grand Canyon

Have to add a funny note -

Many, many years ago, when my kids were very young, we were fortunate enough to be able to tour about 42 or 43 of the continental United States in our motorhome - a GMC at that time. One of the many places were toured was the Grand Canyon.

To this day, I still remember when my kids saw that place, my son ( don't remember how old he was at that time ) said " that's nothing more than a big hole in the ground ". - We still laugh about that episode.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #25

senior pass

The senior pass is now $80.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly72 View Post
The senior pass is now $80.
I bought two of the $10 cards while they were available so I would have a cheap spare in case I lost the first.

We are on a monthly rate at a RV park in Flagstaff and the senior card has paid for itself many times over visiting federal parks and monuments around here in northern Arizona.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #27

Thanks everyone. Food for thought, very helpful.
We are planning May 2018.
We have our senior pass cards. Saved a bunch when we visited Glaciar National park in Montana and also Yellowstone on the way back.
Macbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #28

If you are in the Escapees RV Club: https://www.escapees.com/ Days End: www.daysenddirectory.com/ Day’s End is a splinter group of the Escapees. Days End is continually updated by its members and is a 800+ pages, word, or pdf, published “on line” 4-5 times per year. Cost is minimal.
Several places to boondock near the South Rim, in the forest. One subscription covers 49 states and Canada.

Tags
cat