Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Gravity water fill

The gravity water tank fill will not accept water. My manual doesn't say anything about a open/close valve. I assumed I could just attach a hose and wait for it to overflow. In this case I am trying to add a bleach/water mix to disinfect the tank after a short period of non-use. Am I missing something or could it be plugged? The coach is a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser.
1sttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I use an attachment like this to put water in the gravity fill. Sometimes a hose in the opening is too strong a flow, the attachment works to bypass the initial opening.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the same attachment as BFlinn and dial the pressure/flow way down so that it fills slowly.

Something I learned from putting water into a boat water tank too fast, years ago.
The tank expanded from pressure and put a small crack in one of the corners of the tank.
I was putting water in faster than then vent line could let it out.
So now I put in water at a rate that the vent line can handle, rather than at a rate that the fill tube can handle (which is much more).
That way if I get sidetracked doing something else and the water overflows I'm not putting the tank in to an over pressure situation.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #4

In preparation for Harvey, i just went and filled my Mom's tank. Went to add water and it immediately backed up. That's when i noticed the smaller vent hole between gravity fill and the city connection. It was plugged with dirt (a dirt dobber was the culprit). Cleaned it out and gravity fill worked fine.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

All good replies, thanks. I wasn't using a hose but was pouring the solution in EXTREMELY slowly from a pitcher. After about a cup or so it wouldn't take any more. The tank is empty and has a 78 gallon capacity so it shouldn't have needed a vent at that time, I wouldn't think. My gravity fill is located on the passenger side and the city fill is on the driver side. The attachment looks familiar. I just might have one. I don't see a vent hole but I'll look some more.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #6

I located the vent hole and of course it was right next to the filler opening. I ran a wire down the vent 32" and didn't feel anything. I then ran a wire down the filler opening 36" and also didn't feel anything. I found the filler attachment I thought I had and tried to run some water in very slowly but it still backs right up runs out. I'm totally stumped. I can fill the tank with the city fill but that doesn't help me get the bleach in there to clean up the tank.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #7

if you must do this:

-use the city fill with your water hose
-before attaching the hose to your coach, add into the hose the amount of chemical you wish
-now attach it to the city fill connector
-turn on the water

voila!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimer View Post
I located the vent hole and of course it was right next to the filler opening. I ran a wire down the vent 32" and didn't feel anything. I then ran a wire down the filler opening 36" and also didn't feel anything. I found the filler attachment I thought I had and tried to run some water in very slowly but it still backs right up runs out. I'm totally stumped. I can fill the tank with the city fill but that doesn't help me get the bleach in there to clean up the tank.

Many of us pour cup of bleach into hose connect to city connection open tank fill and turn on water it goes in and cleans hose as same time
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree, putting the bleach (or whatever) in the hose, then connecting to the spigot is a good strategy. I would also suggest you try to view the hose connecting your gravity fill port to the tank. Likely you have a kink in the hose or some other obstruction preventing water flow. A narrowed hose, due to a kink partially blocking it could explain why the wire went 36" into the hose. Or... perhaps your tank is 38" down from the fill port.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you attach your hose to a fitting that's not a gravity fill. That's a pressure fill unit. Gravity fill is where there is an access port that you can add water with a funnel or direct the hose outlet into. Mine has both.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree, putting the bleach (or whatever) in the hose, then connecting to the spigot is a good strategy. I would also suggest you try to view the hose connecting your gravity fill port to the tank. Likely you have a kink in the hose or some other obstruction preventing water flow. A narrowed hose, due to a kink partially blocking it could explain why the wire went 36" into the hose. Or... perhaps your tank is 38" down from the fill port.
I have both on my MH and find it can take about as much input of water as I can deliver. it backs up when the tank if full. I think that if this is the first time every trying to fill the gravity side you must have a blocked hose. I'll venture to say that the mfg may have not even connected it to the tank and it may have a plug in the end. just my guess
Old 08-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I have both on my MH and find it can take about as much input of water as I can deliver. it backs up when the tank if full. I think that if this is the first time every trying to fill the gravity side you must have a blocked hose. I'll venture to say that the mfg may have not even connected it to the tank and it may have a plug in the end. just my guess
It's a 2014 RV. Do you really think the connection has gone undetected for over 3 years? The OP calls himself 1sttimer. I'm thinking he hasn't had it since it was new.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #13

Putting the bleach in the fill hose and using city water is an excellent idea. That's what I will do. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I will try and look for the hose from the gravity feed. I do know the tank isn't 38" down from the port.

Tags
water