Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
RV LIFE Support Team

Gray Tank Leaking

When we use the kithen sink or lavatory we have a drip from the gray tank. I have tried to access the top of the gray tank as that is where I think the leak is but have had no success, even with Winnebagos help.

If I can't find a solution soon I will need to take it in to get it repaired, something I would prefer to not to do.

If anyone has any ideas I am very open to them.

Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe pressure test it by blowing down a drain with outlet from shop vac cleaner outlet hose. Spray soapy water in the suspected areas (assuming you can get at it) and watch for bubbles. May involve some duct tape and inventiveness, but who doesn't like duct tape? Of course you will have to plug all the other drains (sinks, shower, washing machine, etc.) Maybe get someone to hold the hose onto the drain you are blowing into as well if the tape won't hold.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
if its a the top it is more likely the drain hose into the tank than the tank itself or it would only leak when it was full
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
we have a drip from the gray tank.
OP
is it the actual tank that is leaking or are you referring to the Grey Tank Dump Valve?
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If I found your floorplan correctly looks like both your bath and kitchen sink are on the DS next to each other. I suspect they'd have a common drain line to the tank, and that's I'd speculate is where your leak is. Try to follow your drains from the top, or lay on your back to look up from the bays to trace the hose(s).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:51 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

The problem is we can't access the top of the gray tank where we think the leak is. I finally made an appt. at an RV repair place(not a dealer) who will hopefully fix it.

I will be very curious how they access the tank top because I sure don't see any way to do it. Winnebago has sent all sorts of diagrams to me but nothing has done the enlightened me as to access.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
The problem is we can't access the top of the gray tank where we think the leak is. I finally made an appt. at an RV repair place(not a dealer) who will hopefully fix it.

I will be very curious how they access the tank top because I sure don't see any way to do it. Winnebago has sent all sorts of diagrams to me but nothing has done the enlightened me as to access.
Let us know how they accessed it. I'm sure our Adventurer 38J is similar.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

We are currently at D&R in Phoenix getting the gray tank repaired. Well, not exactly repaired. The tank shifted and the drain came out of the tank. This is not an easy fix as everything is very tight. Everything is hooked up again and we will be testing in a bit. There is Styrofoam under the tank to support it to the correct height for the drain. The repair guy says there should be 2 pieces of Styrofoam and there is only one. We are out of warranty with our rig but I will pursue with Winnebago.

We have not had any sudden stops or major bumps so I don't know how this shifted. It may be due to not enough support with the missing Styrofoam. Everything is a guess at this point.

We have diagrams from Winnie but we couldn't decipher them. For those of you who are interested the gray tank is visible on the driver side. It is close to the floor when you have your doors open and is the color gray.

Even if we could have found the tank we would never been able to figure this one out. D&R have a small video camera that they can insert in the nooks and crannies of the rv for diagnosis.

Live and learn...............

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 01-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
There is Styrofoam under the tank to support it to the correct height for the drain. The repair guy says there should be 2 pieces of Styrofoam and there is only one
Well I've never had a tank out, but it would surprise me if they expected any layer of styrofoam to support a watertank of 500 lb-ish. That would squish styrofoam. I can understand a solid support for the tank holding the weight, and then a layer of styrofoam in between the support for insulation purposes.

I'll be interested in what the mfg says in response.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

We were surprised also, It is 3" thick and on a "shelf". According to the repair guy we were missing a piece of Stryofoam. Maybe this is denser Styrofoam than we are all thinking. We now have 2x4+our piece of Styrofoam. According to the repairman the Stryofoam supports the tank when it contains water. My thoughts are that there is a shelf there and the tank didn't reach the shelf so this was the solution. Jury-rig.

I hope the mfg. responds. We shall see.

RV LIFE Support Team

Tags
gray tank, leak, tank