Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Gray Tank Mystery

While dumping this morning our black tank drained as usual but the gray tank was just a slow stream instead of the usual full blast. We had two showers and a few dishes washings since the last gray tank dump and the reading on the control panel shows 2/3 full. The kitchen sink and shower dump into the gray tank. I’m not sure if the bathroom sink dumps into the gray or black. Each of the drains have strainers so I can’t think of anything of any size getting into the gray tank. We drove home 70 miles and maybe that loosened up whatever is holding back the gray tank. We have a sewer clean out in our front yard, going to try again over the weekend. Any suggestions?
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
While dumping this morning our black tank drained as usual but the gray tank was just a slow stream instead of the usual full blast. We had two showers and a few dishes washings since the last gray tank dump and the reading on the control panel shows 2/3 full. The kitchen sink and shower dump into the gray tank. I’m not sure if the bathroom sink dumps into the gray or black. Each of the drains have strainers so I can’t think of anything of any size getting into the gray tank. We drove home 70 miles and maybe that loosened up whatever is holding back the gray tank. We have a sewer clean out in our front yard, going to try again over the weekend. Any suggestions?
Couple of ideas.

First, being a relatively new coach, a remnant of the drilling for the pipe inlets into the tank could have fallen in and worked its way to the drain opening. This would not be the first time this may have happened. You could attach a drain connection that allows for a hose to be attached. Then, shoot a strong stream of water back into the tank from the drain outlet side. If that frees up the flow, something was likely blocking the outlet from inside the tank. Of course, you could get a plumber to scope the drain with a camera.

Second, there may be a blockage of the tank vent pipe, preventing air from easily entering the tank as it is drained. Given how the tank also has air admittance valves in the plumbing, air should be able to vent the tank, but it could be slower.

It will be interesting to see how the tank drains after you reach home. Please keep us posted.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Get one of these:
https://www.campingworld.com/flush-k...er-drain-flush

It will allow you to back flush and maybe knock what ever is causing the blockage out, if there is anything blocking it. Any cause can be the valve is not opening all the way.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #4

Could be a simple air lock.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Get one of these:
https://www.campingworld.com/flush-k...er-drain-flush

It will allow you to back flush and maybe knock what ever is causing the blockage out, if there is anything blocking it. Any cause can be the valve is not opening all the way.
I question how effective the backflush would be, since the water inlet is not lined up to shoot water straight into the dump pipe. We have a 90-degree clear fitting with the flush inlet that lets me shoot water straight into the pipe!

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Trai...%2C1164&sr=8-8
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like the valve didn't open all the way or something is blocking it. You may need to run a plumbers snake up the pipe.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #7

I know couple of showers and dish washings wouldn't come close to 2/3 a tank in mine, is that normal for yours? For that much water it would probably whoosh out for a few seconds, but it would turn to a dribble quickly.

I'd fill a 5 gallon bucket a few times, dump it down the shower and see what the gauge reads compared to the capacity of the tank, drain it and see how it flows.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I flushed my grey tank a few months ago just because I had my external macerator pump on it and it has flush capability. I was glad I did because I got a lot of weird flakey black stuff that looked like decaying leaves (probably algae) and what looked like TP (maybe previous owner had both valves open while hooked up?). Anyway I was glad I did - all that nastiness is gone and it did look like the kind of stuff that could eventually cause a plugged drain.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Often when the mfg drilled out the tank to install the vent or drain line, they just let the round plug drop into the tank. Eventually it works it way to outlet, clogging it as you describe.

If that is the case, the only way is to remove the drain valve.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Couple of ideas.

First, being a relatively new coach, a remnant of the drilling for the pipe inlets into the tank could have fallen in and worked its way to the drain opening. This would not be the first time this may have happened. You could attach a drain connection that allows for a hose to be attached. Then, shoot a strong stream of water back into the tank from the drain outlet side. If that frees up the flow, something was likely blocking the outlet from inside the tank. Of course, you could get a plumber to scope the drain with a camera.

Second, there may be a blockage of the tank vent pipe, preventing air from easily entering the tank as it is drained. Given how the tank also has air admittance valves in the plumbing, air should be able to vent the tank, but it could be slower.

It will be interesting to see how the tank drains after you reach home. Please keep us posted.
Finally found time to work on this gray tank issue. Hooked up the sewer hose to our sewer clean out at home, pulled the gray tank gate and everything came out like usual. We have a clear connection on the end of the sewer hose and didn’t notice anything coming out that might have caused the blockage. We did purchase the Camco Flush Out attachment for the future. Thanks to all for your advice.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Finally found time to work on this gray tank issue. Hooked up the sewer hose to our sewer clean out at home, pulled the gray tank gate and everything came out like usual. We have a clear connection on the end of the sewer hose and didn’t notice anything coming out that might have caused the blockage. We did purchase the Camco Flush Out attachment for the future. Thanks to all for your advice.
Good news and thanks for the update.

What you described when you got home is consistent with the remnant from the hole falling into the tank. I suspected all would be well after you churned things up in the tank during the travel.

The easy draining eliminated the partially opening valve and vent blockage as causes. That leaves the remnant, literally, as the on-going problem. Until you actually can remove it, as I suspect it was the cause, just be prepared to back flush should it happen again. As usual, now that you are prepared, it will probably never happen again.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, tank