Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #43

I don't like paper plates and I wash dishes like I shower. But first, food scraps and grease gets wiped off with paper towel and thrown in the trash. Then I soap them all up with detergent on a sponge, then rinse them all off with hot running water. But I never fill the basin with water, either to soak, wash, or rinse.
Guzzimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #44

We only go 2 days/4 showers with our Gray Tank

I've learned that even though we take Navy showers, it takes some water to get it hot and if we go over 2 days /4 showers the tank cracks! Despite repairs and supports... so now we never stay over 2 days in a park or campground that does not have full hookups.
We can easily go a week or longer on our Black and Galley Tanks.
Wish I could convert our Fresh Water Tank into Grey as we've only used it twice in over 12 years of RVing...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #45

Ours is around 40 gal and I can run two loads of clothes, the dishwasher, several showers and general washing before dumping. I was told by Tiffin that the 100% full reading is actually closer to 80% full.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
That is a pretty small tank. I have to continuously remind the DW that we only have 100 gallons of fresh water. When boondocking, we can usually drain our grey tank where ever.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #47

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
You guys are scaring me. We have a 55 gallon grey tank, and can normally go 5 days before dumping. If we are staying a couple of weeks at a COE or state park with no sewer hookups, I've got a blue tote to dump into. But, we are currently staying 11 days in a national forest with no sewer, and I didn't know it when I booked, but there is NO dump station here. The nearest place to dump is a pay station across town, 5 miles away. We're trying to stretch it out by taking showers only every other day. When summoning the hot water, we put the shower head in a bucket, and dump the clean cold water outside on the ground. We're using paper plates so we don't have to wash dishes. Hope we can make it the full 11 days without have to drive the coach across town!
Why oh why would you dump perfectly good water on the ground?? We use a pitcher to catch the cold water and use it for drinking or washing dishes.
MDFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #48

Mid Atlantic Campers
Showers

I have to say what is the deal with all these showers? You’re camping! When we camp, it’s a shower every other day. Sometimes it’s every third day. Unless it’s extremely hot, a shower is not required every day. Also, if not boondocking, using campground showers is a good idea. Have a nice long shower with no worries.
MDFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFiver View Post
I have to say what is the deal with all these showers? You’re camping! When we camp, it’s a shower every other day. Sometimes it’s every third day. Unless it’s extremely hot, a shower is not required every day. Also, if not boondocking, using campground showers is a good idea. Have a nice long shower with no worries.
We all have our different ways. Me,,, I sometimes fish, clean fish, swim, hike, bike, sit around a smoky campfire, apply bug spray, and even do some work around the campsite. One of the reasons I bought the motorhome was to have my own clean bed. I wanna keep it that way...

Ours is a family of three that showers every evening before bed. We use paper plates and plastic cutlery most of the time but with cooking, there's usually a pan/pot/bowl or two and cooking utensils to wash. We can go three days easily with this before having to empty the gray water tank.

What really helps us is that the bathroom sink drains into the black tank. Teeth brushing and most of the washing of hands takes place there.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 PM   #50

So did the original poster actually have 40 gallons drain out when he emptied the full tank or does he need to check that the low flow shower head has been changed out with a high flow unit that could fill his tanks in 10 minutes?

Best thing I did as far as the shower is concerned while traveling with my wife and two adult daughters was to install a low flow Oxygenetics Shower Head which greatly reduced the rate at which the grey tank filled up.

As for dumping grey tanks on the ground that can get you an unfriendly visit from a ranger or environmental officer in some locations so I would not recommend that.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My grey tank doesn't completely empty on level ground. I have to lift the front with the jacks to get the last 1/4 of the tank emptied.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
So did the original poster actually have 40 gallons drain out when he emptied the full tank or does he need to check that the low flow shower head has been changed out with a high flow unit that could fill his tanks in 10 minutes?

We may never know, it appears the original post was his last. I did research that he had a 19 Holiday Rambler which would translate to a Fleetwood. This information appears in one of his other 4 posts.

The gray tank sensors in my 2015 Storm are very inaccurate so I did the gallon at a time test. If he has the flat short gray tank like I have that could be the issue. My 30 gallon gray tank only holds 23 gallons when the indicator registers 4/4, and water starts appearing in the Lav drain at 30 gallons. Sure wouldn't want to drive around like that.

Amazing this is the 51st response to the OP that is AWOL
Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the informative discussion. We just got back from our 1st trip. 5 nights, six days. The grey tank (62 gal) gauge said full the morning of the 6th day and the black (45 gal) never said anything but E. I was wondering about that but now I understand better why we used so much grey water. The gauges are in 1/3 increments so the black was less then 1/3 full but the gray was full (the owners manual says full means full).

We'll have to use some of the suggestions here and work on using less water. We had full hookups but wanted to practice water boondocking. Unfortunately, I got fed up with the water pump kicking on & off all the time and the shower flow & temp changing every time the pump went on & off. So I hooked up the the city water supply after two nights. The fresh water gauge said it was 2/3 full at that point. I think I'll add a pressure tank. My house has one, why not my RV?
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #54

Our old 95 Bounder has a 50 gallon gray tank and a 50 gallon black tank. I installed a pump to transfer gray water to the black water tank. We can now store all 100 gallons of our fresh water. Gota love those old Fleetwood klunkers.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
You guys are scaring me. We have a 55 gallon grey tank, and can normally go 5 days before dumping. If we are staying a couple of weeks at a COE or state park with no sewer hookups, I've got a blue tote to dump into. But, we are currently staying 11 days in a national forest with no sewer, and I didn't know it when I booked, but there is NO dump station here. The nearest place to dump is a pay station across town, 5 miles away. We're trying to stretch it out by taking showers only every other day. When summoning the hot water, we put the shower head in a bucket, and dump the clean cold water outside on the ground. We're using paper plates so we don't have to wash dishes. Hope we can make it the full 11 days without have to drive the coach across town!
There may be a local company that will "pickup"...no way we go 11 days.
guyshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyshp View Post
There may be a local company that will "pickup"...no way we go 11 days.

We actually made the 11 days with room to spare in the gray tank. It was only showing 2/3 full when we pulled out. We did stretch out the showers to one every 3 days, though. Good thing the weather turned cold and we didn't sweat!

Tags
ems, gray tank, tank