RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Gray tank sensors

Recently, our Itasca MH started reading 1/3 full when emptied now it reads 2/3 full when emptied. I noticed the lower sensor on the gray tank was loose so I went to the local Winnebago dealer for the right mounting tape and cleaned the outside surface and remounted the level sensor. Our tanks have the sensors that don't pierce the tank? I believe. The black tank had a loose sensor issue with the 2/3 full sensor (loose) so I remounted it and all seems well with it. I am confused. Does the "sensor package go bad as a unit or individual parts stop working? Is orientation when re applying these sensors critical or can one just attach them? Our coach is a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35'.
smarks911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

Could be you have a scum build up on the inside of the tank causing your false readings. When I first bought my coach it had the same issue as you describe. After trying a few Magic Potions I tried HC Extreem on recommendation from a friend. Problem solved. Works as advertised when used as directed.

Then, for regular tank maintenance use the HC regular product. I buy the large bucket that treats 130 tanks. The best and most cost effective product I've used.

https://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-CLEAN...MS4FQ83167N608

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Camper-...tank+treatment
Old 02-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

The sensors are often not reliable. Many ignore them and just get used to how long it takes to fill the tanks. I have a wand that attaches to a hose and the rotating head goes through the toilet and washes the black water tank. Then my sensors all reset. Hope that helps.
Bowserdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

We also have a 2005 Itasca with the external truelevel sensors, and they give us incorrect readings, too. The black is't too troublesome; when empty, it often still says 1/3. Black readings increase as you use the facilities. The grey, on the other hand, when empty can say anything but empty...sometimes it reads 1/3, sometimes 2/3, sometimes even full right after various dumps. So we are just careful about water usage and dump each time we relocate to a new location (typically every two weeks; we full time, so tanks are constantly in use)

Sensors seem tightly attached to grey tank exterior last I checked, though your post will cause me to check them again. I have tried various cleaning methods for the grey tank (including two method and commercial products) though I do not really think it is very dirty; I think the sensors are misreading the levels.

We manage OK timing our dumps, and our grey tank sensor is a running joke between spouse and me. Still, it would be nice if it worked better.

If by chance you find a great solution for this brand of sensor, please post it. If I miraculously find a solution, I'll share it, too.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2016 Suncruiser 38Q with the same problems. I have tried different things, but the one most successful thing was to tape a piece of metal to each of the sensors to make it think it was full and then unplug the control panel from its power source and hook it back up. It goes back to a recalibration process and that seem to work the best.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #6

dennis45 is correct on his post. If you do not use an enzyme to clean the inside of both tanks, your sensors will not give you a true reading.

I use Happy Camper and have never had any more problems. Discovered that many years ago at a FMCA rally and it works.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, tank