Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

Gray Tank Sensors

Hi all,

My gray tank kept showing 1/3 full. I assumed it was gunk in the holding tank. So I drove around with some warm water Dish soap. Still showing 1/3 full.

I ordered new sensors. I removed the old ones, wiped down the tank and placed new ones on. Now it’s showing 2/3 full (even though tank is empty).

Curious if anyone has experience re-installing these? I’m wondering if in fact it’s gunk and I need to take it on a longer trip. Or is there a trick to installing new sensors. These are the exterior sensors that stick on with 3m tape.
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 03:26 AM   #2

What did the water look like when draining the gray and black tanks?

What is the coaches history - did the tank monitor ever work?

When using Dawn soap and Borax, it takes more than 1 or 2 treatments and time depending on the condition of the tanks.

That you cleaned/replaced the sensors makes me question the monitor. You might try disconnecting all sensor wires and isolate from ground. Then touch each wire to a good ground one at a time and check the monitor.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
What did the water look like when draining the gray and black tanks?

What is the coaches history - did the tank monitor ever work?

When using Dawn soap and Borax, it takes more than 1 or 2 treatments and time depending on the condition of the tanks.

That you cleaned/replaced the sensors makes me question the monitor. You might try disconnecting all sensor wires and isolate from ground. Then touch each wire to a good ground one at a time and check the monitor.

Yes. the monitor worked until earlier this year. Water didn’t look any different than normal. I’m suspecting the treatment wasn’t long enough. I off for a 2 hr drive this weekend. I’m going to try some dish detergent and water and see if it does the trick again.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Yes. the monitor worked until earlier this year. Water didn’t look any different than normal. I’m suspecting the treatment wasn’t long enough. I off for a 2 hr drive this weekend. I’m going to try some dish detergent and water and see if it does the trick again.
Go to YouTube and search for the guy who does a couple of videos on how to treat your tanks using “the Geo method” and “poo pyramid” as search terms.

It’s good your using dish detergent - but Dawn dishwashing detergent has known characteristics about how well it breaks down greases. But without knowing how hard or soft your water is, you need to add some Borax to the water.

Your drain water could be coming out clean but there could still be an electrically conductive film inside the tank.
Saying that, since you’ve replaced your sensors with new ones - and assuming once replaced the tank readings were still wrong before adding anything to the tanks - that the problem is in the display (new sensors had not yet been exposed to anything conductive) or the wiring.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:06 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With Grey tank empty, we poured 1 1/2 cup of Krud Kutter (available at Ace) with clean water into a 2.5 gallon jug (used an old Kitty Litter container). Then poured this 12 times into the shower drain so that we then has about 30 gallons in the grey tank. Then drove around for about an hour to slosh the inside grey tank. The sensors read OK again.

Misleading sensors are usually due to soap scum clinging on inside walls of grey tank. Some use other products which they say work also.

The manual says, while camping, one can leave the grey tank open so that it empties all the time .... don't know if that assists in letting scum dry / harden on inside tank walls, so now we will keep both tanks closed (gate valves) until they show about 1/2 to 2/3 full & then drain, also using black tank flush.

It's a pain to remove the exterior basement panel (four difficult screws & awkward handling, manual water fill opening attached) to check on the
sensors on the tanks. Usually find that it's an inside scum problem so do that first.

Some owners have also added a flush sprayer on the grey tank like they may have on the black tank.

The KrudKutter then slosh around trick worked for us. Knocking on wood.
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We finally broke down and did a deep cleaning of both the black and grey tanks. We got a clear elbow that connected to the drain and then connected the sewer hose to the clear fitting. I drilled a 1 inch hole in the elbow and then used a pressure washer hose with a jetter nozzle and let in draw itself in to both tanks. Easy job, maybe 20 minutes in each tank, and all problems went away and that was 3 years ago.

We also added a grey tank flush and use both flush systems monthly. Good luck getting it resolved. We full time so we like to have accurate gauges.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:45 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
... just a quick typo clarification to my previous post.

With Grey tank empty, we poured 1 1/2 cup of Krud Kutter (available at Ace) with clean water into a 2.5 gallon jug (used an old Kitty Litter container). Then poured this 12 times into the shower drain.....

Correction to post: by this I meant only then added clean water 12 times, NOT again each time with 1 1/2 cups of KrudKutter.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:14 AM   #8

What type of Krud Kutter did you use. I just search and there are many different types for different purposes
thanx2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Attached is photo of jug. Just again travelled 600 miles after filling grey & black tanks with a little of the stuff into about a 1/3 full clean water in tanks then dumped. Sensors work again.

Now again for a week in one location. Before leaving, will do same: dump, then add a little Krud Kutter with about 1/3 tank clean water to slosh around the inner tank walls & dump again at new location. After that will just do with normal regular travel use (no Krud Kutter) until the sensors act up again.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KrudKutter photo as  jpg file.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	373706  
Old 08-15-2022, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneumann View Post
Attached is photo of jug. Just again travelled 600 miles after filling grey & black tanks with a little of the stuff into about a 1/3 full clean water in tanks then dumped. Sensors work again.

Now again for a week in one location. Before leaving, will do same: dump, then add a little Krud Kutter with about 1/3 tank clean water to slosh around the inner tank walls & dump again at new location. After that will just do with normal regular travel use (no Krud Kutter) until the sensors act up again.

Good luck.
Thanks! Yes, I keep a small sprayer of it at home. I’ll get a jug and give it a try. Thank you!

Tags
gray tank, tank