Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Well I just finished up the Freightliner school at the Gaffney training center, and got an M3 service performed at the same time. I have to say that Gaffney is hands down the best service experience I have ever had, car or MH!! The level of professionalism is top notch, and the experience and qualifications of the techs are amazing.

As a matter of fact, our tech caught and repaired a problem that we may well have never caught until it was too late and caused a major safety issue. They pulled the wheels while changing the oil in the hubs the tech noted that the front pads were cracked all around the rivets. It was obivious to the tech that the pads still looked like new after 21,000 miles (I use the exhaust brake and the tranny to slow me down religously). They were obiviously not overheated, and the cause had to be a problem with the way that the rivits were installed, or the pads themselves were faulty. In either case, Freightliner called the pad manufacturer, Meritor, and requested to cover the pads under warranty. And this was after I have owned it for 2 1/2 years! Freightliner did not hear back in time, so they put on a new set of pads and lubed everything up anyway, no charge. Their position was that although that they had not heard back yet from Meritor, they felt that it SHOULD be warranty and would not charge me for it. If Meritor declined to cover the pads, they would pay for it. Now that is customer service! They also caught a loose wheel bearing on the right front wheel, and replaced a damaged wheel stud on one of the wheels.

I would recommend Gaffney to anyone for service in their Freightliner Chassis anytime. What an outstanding operation.

I also got to meet and go through the Freightliner school with Jim, from JimandSue here on IRV2 site. What a great guy!

There is a good moral to this story. DON'T put off your scheduled maintenance. There is a reason there is a time/mileage requirement for all the service requirements on these heavy motorhome chassis. They take a lot of punishment every day and keep rolling. The little cash you spend now in service is WAY cheaper than repairing some major issue down the road.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Well I just finished up the Freightliner school at the Gaffney training center, and got an M3 service performed at the same time. I have to say that Gaffney is hands down the best service experience I have ever had, car or MH!! The level of professionalism is top notch, and the experience and qualifications of the techs are amazing.

As a matter of fact, our tech caught and repaired a problem that we may well have never caught until it was too late and caused a major safety issue. They pulled the wheels while changing the oil in the hubs the tech noted that the front pads were cracked all around the rivets. It was obivious to the tech that the pads still looked like new after 21,000 miles (I use the exhaust brake and the tranny to slow me down religously). They were obiviously not overheated, and the cause had to be a problem with the way that the rivits were installed, or the pads themselves were faulty. In either case, Freightliner called the pad manufacturer, Meritor, and requested to cover the pads under warranty. And this was after I have owned it for 2 1/2 years! Freightliner did not hear back in time, so they put on a new set of pads and lubed everything up anyway, no charge. Their position was that although that they had not heard back yet from Meritor, they felt that it SHOULD be warranty and would not charge me for it. If Meritor declined to cover the pads, they would pay for it. Now that is customer service! They also caught a loose wheel bearing on the right front wheel, and replaced a damaged wheel stud on one of the wheels.

I would recommend Gaffney to anyone for service in their Freightliner Chassis anytime. What an outstanding operation.

I also got to meet and go through the Freightliner school with Jim, from JimandSue here on IRV2 site. What a great guy!

There is a good moral to this story. DON'T put off your scheduled maintenance. There is a reason there is a time/mileage requirement for all the service requirements on these heavy motorhome chassis. They take a lot of punishment every day and keep rolling. The little cash you spend now in service is WAY cheaper than repairing some major issue down the road.

Sarge
Old 10-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Glad to hear you had such a positive experience with Freightliner, Gaffney. We were there for the first time in June, for the class and service. Like you, we left there with great respect for the folks in Gaffney.

As you move South, if you find yourself down this way let us know. Stop off at TGO and say Hi.

Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Will do Mike, we are expecting to be in Florida after the new year, if I can afford the camping spots!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #5

Sarge, my experience with FL Gaffney is the same. I just regret that they are a little too far to do all of my repairs. It would be worth a 500 mile drive one way though for something local dealers can't handle. The good news is that between the reliability of my XCS chassis and my own handyman work I very rarely see a dealer except to change tires. After living near Washington DC for a long time I appreciate the southern attitude at Gaffney. Too bad some of the FL people are being laid off.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
I must agree. These folks know what they are doing and do it all the time. Not like some shops who might work on an over-the-road tractor on day, a medium duty truck the next and a MH the next. Not that the mechanics are not competent in a regular Freighliner Shop The Gaffney shop is clean as are the mechanics (or is it technicians now?) and they take special care to keep grease and grime out of the coach.
Our last stop was sort of an emergency when we were on the road and the SmartWheel module went out, leaving us with no info on the small screen, ABS and bright light indicator on and no tachometer. We called and they worked us in. The tech explained what he had done, why and had even discovered a bare wire that sometimes caused the horn to blow when turning the wheel. This was a brand new coach and they kept apologizing that their product had given us problems and delayed our trip. What a great bunch of people!!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
We were in Gaffney for our M3 service in March '07. While there they discovered a small radiator leak and a broken exhaust bracket, fixed both under warranty 1 month before it expired. Since neither was causing problems at the time I was unaware they were there. Had they not caught them I would have ended up paying later. Great folks who know how to deal with RV folks, taking the time to explain what and why they are doing things. Just an out and out positive experience.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #8

I've got to get a punch list together and go see those folks. I'll happily drive the 2000 miles to see a happy face working on my motorhome.

The local Freightliner dealer has as much as said they don't like working on motorhomes - and they made it evident when they did my steering recall. The local CAT establishment isn't much better.

I haven't tried Allison. Ironically, the local Cummins / Onan dealer is a delight to work with.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've got to get a punch list together and go see those folks. I'll happily drive the 2000 miles to see a happy face working on my motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will not regret it. We can drive there in a day and, based on my experience there last fall, we are planning to stop for service at least annually on the way to Myrtle Beach. I do some of my own maintenance/repairs but, as I get older, it is nice to have those folks to rely on. I just hope that the current economic conditions do not result in their demise.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The local Freightliner dealer has as much as said they don't like working on motorhomes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've had the same experience with our local FL dealer. If it's not a semi tractor, they don't want look at it. I'll be going to Gaffney for my annual service. It's worth the trip.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #11

Sarge

Where is this place. Do they work on other Chassis'? Do they let you learn with the students? s/Toby
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've got to get a punch list together and go see those folks. I'll happily drive the 2000 miles to see a happy face working on my motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will not regret it. We can drive there in a day and, based on my experience there last fall, we are planning to stop for service at least annually on the way to Myrtle Beach. I do some of my own maintenance/repairs but, as I get older, it is nice to have those folks to rely on. I just hope that the current economic conditions do not result in their demise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because of the level of service that they provide, I really doubt that their livelyhood is in danger. While I was there a waiting list of folks were waiting for service. They had driven in without appointments hoping to get in. Gaffney was going to handle them, but was going to take care of their appointments first (hint, hint).

My next trip around the country I would definetly wait and get serviced there. They are that good.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We stop there every year for our annual service. Been doing it since 2000. Awesome folks to deal with. Also attended the class a couple of years ago and it is very worthwhile. Got schematics that were for my year coach/chassis. Not a generic set.
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We stop there every year for our annual service. Been doing it since 2000. Awesome folks to deal with. Also attended the class a couple of years ago and it is very worthwhile. Got schematics that were for my year coach/chassis. Not a generic set. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acker, then you remember their old shop and the parking area for overniting. This new place is quite and improvement. I recall overniting for early morning service at the factory a few years ago. Loudest place I have ever tried to stay in. All night long.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote