Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

Green Stuff in the pipes...

Several months ago, late January, I headed into Mexico and ended up in Mazatlan until late March. Early in March I had trouble with the water in the RV. Just a dribble mostly. So I checked the supply hose and found this green leafy type stuff. Not moss like, but leafy like. Dark green.

Opps, no screen on my hose. So blew out the hose, got many big chunks of the green stuff, and added a screen on both ends. But before hooking back up to the parks water, I blew out all the house water lines. I did find lots of that green leafy stuff everywhere in the systems screens at the faucets but after blowing everything out, reconnected the water supply and everything seemed normal.

Back in the US, I ordered a new hose as mine was getting pretty old and grungy looking. Has a nice screen on the end and the shut offs and pressure reducers I have pretty much guarantee no green leafy stuff can get into the house.

Wrong!

I've repeatedly had to blow out the pipes since March. Did it once there in Mexico, and several times back here in the US. I cannot figure out where it's coming from!

Just the other day I removed my new supply hose and unscrewed the screened shut off valve and there was that green stuff blocking the screen. How can it have ended up in a brand new hose with screens on either end? Could it have come from my RV? Traveling backwards against pressure? Through two sets of screens!??

It's driving me crazy. I've blown out the system at least 5 times since March and it's getting annoying.

Like I said, it doesn't look anything like the mossy gooey stuff I've found coming from water tanks in past events in my other RV though, or that I've read about on forums. This stuff is firm, ranging from tiny to 1/2" in diameter. Really looks like parts of leafs of a plant. I never see anything like a stem or root though.

So what's the fix these days for this issue? New RV? Any advice appreciated.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #2

You've got Loch Ness Monster living in your water system.

Have you been able to determine what it actually is? Bacteria or fungi? Or could this be a component decomposing, like happens to fuel lines?
Old 09-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Souns like you don't have an effective water filter to start. I would put an inline filter in addition to the onboard filter. I also woud thoroughly sanitize the enitre system.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #4

One of those 'sump' type devices with the screen, CurtSR, or something more filter cartridge like? Got a link to what you're thinking about?

Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
You've got Loch Ness Monster living in your water system.

Have you been able to determine what it actually is? Bacteria or fungi? Or could this be a component decomposing, like happens to fuel lines?
No, haven't. I think I was fooled by it's looks into thinking it was a plant of some kind in the pipes in Mexico but it's not acting like a growing plant with roots. More like a fungus of some kind that fools me with it's benign appearance. Reproduces with microscopic spores I'd imagine. How else to explain it getting back into the newer hose through the screens and against water pressure. When water's not flowing it could drift back through the screen I guess. Then establish itself and grow.

But I don't know...that's why I came here.

It could be the Lock Ness monster though. Always after my tree fiddy.

Doubtful it's a decomposing component since I've even found it in that brand new water hose.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It sounds like you need a thorough disinfecting of the complete water system, including the hot water tank.

Just google it, and follow the directions.

I would use the bleach method.

We had a similar problem with tainted water one time, and it takes a while to get it cleaned out. Sitting with the bleach in the lines and tanks for quite a few hours is the secret. We left ours over night, then rinsed it 3 times. It's been fine since then.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #7

OP, it sounds like you are right about it being some sort of bacterial or fungal infection, apparently not harmful. The suggestion to sanitize previously is the place I would start. I would not trust anything but chlorine bleach. I know it's not very environmentally friendly, but it's probably the most effective method. Good luck and please keep us posted. P.s. please don't drain the water with bleach in it into a septic system, it will kill all of the necessary bacteria in the septic system.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #8

"Really, that green leafy stuff is just fungus from my water tank, officer...."

Officer on radio "send a K9 unit".
Old 09-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #9

Well, I guess the consensus, and my own thinking on the problem, is a fungus of some kind. It's in my system and travels around infecting and growing where it gets comfortable. So I guess the next step is a full Troubled System bleach treatment. I'm on sewer here so not too much of a worry about bleach since I'm miles from the treatment plant. And I know the formula so I won't over bleach it plus I will be sure to flush several times.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
What immediately comes to mind is a good soak in a strong-ish chlorine solution, fed in however you gotta do it, followed by numerous flushings. Then repeat for good measure.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
a inlet water filter, screwed onto your water source. This should prevent anything entering your RV. If you were in Mexico using their water, sanitize your rv's water system. Something like this that would attach to your water supply hose at the inlet. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...702331&sr=8-61
Old 09-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #12

Purogene is said to remove biofilm in tanks, plumbing etc while bleach does not.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Well, I guess the consensus, and my own thinking on the problem, is a fungus of some kind.
Can you post a picture?

Ray
Old 09-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #14

Bleach does not kill fungus spores. Going to take a fungicide or multiple bleachings if it's anything like a mold
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote