Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Grill to MH propane

I am buying a BBQ grill shortly and want to connect it to the MH propane when in use. What do I have to do? I have no connection on the tank. do I have to have one installed. The grill will be a Baby Weber.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
You can do it yourself.. install an Extend-a-Stay Deluxe. With it you can hook up your BBQ or/and an external propane tank.
Here is what it looks like with the external tank hooked up... the larger connection is for your Baby Q.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have same set up for my Baby Q, my first regulator on the Q went out, which Weber replace, then that failed. I contacted Weber to which I was told it was designed for the small bottles only. I replaced their regulator with a standard regulator and all seems to working fine. If you google you'll see this seems to be an issue with their regulator. Just a heads up as you may want to have a replacement handy. I was about to purchase something else but this fixed it for $25 and about the only other thing that would need to be replace is the burner at some time.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

I have an extended a stay and it works great. One modification I made was to add a quick disconnect fitting to the extend a stay. I used conventional air tank fittings with plumbers putty on all threads. It's been on for several years with no leaks. I periodically check it with a sniffer and the old standby soapy water.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second the recommendation above for the Extend-a-Stay.. Though they make a less expensive "extend-a-flow" for a motor home go with the Extend-a-Stay.

They both provide the function you want. but the Extend-a-stay allows you to use a portable tank to run the motor home propane systems should the on-board tank run dry on you.. As mine has a couple of times.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Just remember that that hose coming off is high pressure, not the 11" regulated.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I put a cutoff valve and quick disconnect after the regulator on the tank. And do not use a regulator on the gas grill. On the last coach, I had two quick disconnects, one for the grill and the second for the outdoor firepit. Lost the firepit in the sale negiotaions of the coach.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Baby Q stand

Now that i know I will connect by Weber to the MH, what is a safe stand to put it on.? Steady and fireproof and maybe light to carry.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager35L View Post
Now that i know I will connect by Weber to the MH, what is a safe stand to put it on.? Steady and fireproof and maybe light to carry.
The grill I use, has a tripod. It will never rock on unlevel surfaces. It is just a camera style tripod, but heavy duty. You may could adapt this idea.

Solaire Anywhere Portable Infrared Grill
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
OK Except

That sounds all well and good for you that never have left the gas valve OPEN
With my memory and understanding of Murphy's Law
I would ratherjust empty a small gas cylinder than my whole 39lb tank

Just a thought!

Trouble
Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble&rose View Post
That sounds all well and good for you that never have left the gas valve OPEN
With my memory and understanding of Murphy's Law
I would ratherjust empty a small gas cylinder than my whole 39lb tank

Just a thought!

Trouble
Guess you have a point, to a point. That would be 39 gallon tank. So if filled to 80%, would be 31.2 gallons times a BTU rating of 91,330 per gallon equals 2,849,496 BTUs, divided by a grill on high rating of 14,000 is 203.53 hours.

So certainly in the following 8 1/2 days, I would notice I had left it on.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
38 special How do you like the infrared grill. Looks like it might be a better companion than a conventional grill when full timing
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman607 View Post
38 special How do you like the infrared grill. Looks like it might be a better companion than a conventional grill when full timing
An InfraRed is great for steaks. We eat a lot of chicken, it that is a little harder to control the heat to get the chicken done, as the grill can get HOTTT. We love it though. I have sold Rasmussen's gas logs before and bought it from Rett rasmussen at a trade show three or four years ago. Lots of use and holding up great. I sell multiple lines of gas grills, but none have one small enough to be RV freindly.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We do a lot of steaks and marinated foods so not sure if we can justify the cost. There is no one close by where we can view and ask questions. I will call and find out more from the company. Thank you for your input. 38 special.