Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 02:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Stream diesel pusher

We’ve been looking for a class A to upgrade from our class C and we found 2004 Gulf Stream Atrium that, in pictures, looks like it could be perfect for us. I don’t know much about the brand though. Any thoughts on Gulf Stream?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I remember correctly they no longer make class A RV’s and haven’t for many years. I’m thinking 2010 was the last of the Gulfstream class A’s
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKimmel View Post
We’ve been looking for a class A to upgrade from our class C and we found 2004 Gulf Stream Atrium that, in pictures, looks like it could be perfect for us. I don’t know much about the brand though. Any thoughts on Gulf Stream?

Thanks
Don’t know anything about them but here’s a brochure

https://dreamfindersrv.com/Literatur...m-Brochure.pdf
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Any thoughts on Gulf Stream?
We own an 2006 Tour Master. Would I do it again, the answer after owning one now is a maybe. I would look for a side radiator RV first and would look at something in the 36' range. I can work on ours but without the knowledge found on here you would maybe need $$ if you get the wrong one. GS has somethings that are very easy to get from just about anywhere their are RV parts online. On the other hand, no so. It really can be a he said, she said on any maker from what I have earned being on here for a couple of years as to a brand. Just my thought...
SgtJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Well with having had a 2004 Gulfstream Atrium we have first hand knowledge about these coaches. It was a great coach and we loved it dearly especially the Atrium, the view through all those windows was amazing, loved it.
They are well built coaches but do have their flaws and that's why we upgraded. The biggest issue, (in our opinion) was all the windows, although being nice to look through they had a tendency to let the cold / heat through. Being single pane window and not being well insulated all over sure didn't help. It was a fantastic "Warm Weather" coach. When it got cold below freezing, like when we drive down to Arizona in late Oct then come back in the spring the 2 furnaces ran constantly to keep it warm. Also when it was really hot it was hard to keep it cool in the blazing heat. It was the perfect unit for Canadian summers and Arizona winter. It was great!

The Cat 330 Hp C7 was enough to get us where we wanted to go and the Freightliner chassis gave a decent ride and it actually handled quite well for a 42 footer.

Our new to us unit had to check off a few must have boxes, minimum of 3 slides, got 4, tag axle, (not a deal breaker but got one) bath and a half, again not a deal breaker but got them too. side rad, Aqua Hot, minimum of 400 hp, got (425) and a king size bed.

We got all of this and much more with the coach we bought, a 2009 Monaco Camelot 42DSQ 425 Hp ISL Cummins on a Road Master Raised Rail 10 chassis, it has 10 air bags and 10 shocks for an amazing ride. Has dual pane windows and much better insulated over all, and the build quality is second to none. All the cabinetry throughout the coach is top notch, found out when I drilled a hole to mount a USB power port that the entire interior is made of 5/8" cherry veneered plywood, no thin flimsy paneling, even the big long walls are the 5/8" plywood. (contributes to the curb weight of the coach that's for sure. The drawer slides are roller slides like on a tool box.
Everything in this coach impresses us more every time we use it. Being a mechanic I work on my own stuff and this is much easier to work on with the side rad and such.

I installed 790 watts of residential solar panels on the roof run into a SNRE, MPPT charge controller and does it ever work nice, charges up all 10 of my 6V batteries in no time no matter how much they are depleted over nite. Generally all charged by 9:00 to !0:00 in the AM, even when it's cloudy or smoky like it is now.

To say we love this coach is an under statement, but we sure loved our Atrium. The million dollar question is, would we go back to an Atrium? Probably not, but we sure don't ever regret owning it. We did sell it for $10,000.00 more than we paid for it 7 years ago but that's because I took very good care of it and it was better and improved allot from when we bought it.

We did get a smok'in good deal on our Monaco but it still cost us "Twice" what we sold our Atrium for. We got it for about $50,000.00 to $60,000.00 lower than NADA listed it's value at so we are happy with that. When I'm done getting it fixed up to my standards the value should be up there a little bit more. Fingers crossed.

Don't know if my post will have any influence on your decision, you have to look at everything closely and make sure that the unit is in good condition before you lay the money down. Good luck and let s know how you made out.

You won't regret buying the Atrium, it is a better coach than allot of the other's out there and you "Will" love the Atrium, can't beat it for the money.

If we did have to down grade for what ever reason and get a cheaper coach we probably would consider another Atrium, you never know.

Good luck on your search!!
Old 08-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks
LOTS of info over HERE: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f110/
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks mdpuff. It's good to hear from someone with first hand experience. Now if the seller will just respond we might be able to check it out in person.
CLKimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks edgray.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks SgtJac. The one we are looking at does have the side radiator, I have heard that before and I do look for that feature.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Barneyb,
The fact that this is basically an orphan brand, at least for the Class A DP, is one of the reasons for me asking about Gulf Stream.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #11

With some exceptions after 15yrs old and brand buy outs , bankruptcies. Info drawings , support, special parts and panels ect. can all be hard to get from factory. I'm sure its still pricy coach and would still take it into consideration compared to similar less orphaned rigs. As well as or more so the floor plan to accommodate the Atrium slide to other 4 slide MHs.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks
Hi- we recently purchased a 2005 GS Atrium 8410, 41' with Cummins 400, side radiator, built on a Freightliner air suspension chassis. It has 3 slides and 39K miles. It seems pretty well optioned. We really loved the overall floorplan, sunroom, and bedroom space. All in all, it is very bright and airy which we like. We don't camp in the winter nor in AZ during the summer so the extra windows are not a problem. Ours our double paned. Runs and drives very smoothly and quietly with plenty of power. We have not had any problems with it so far with the exception of the Norcold frig (1200) takes a long time to get cold but once it does get cold, it's very cold. The quality and craftsmanship is good....not "Country Coach" great, but very good. Yeah, I would have liked to have a top of the line Country Coach with tag axle, 50amp power reel, electric cargo slide out trays, power awnings and maybe even a fancy ceiling treatment designed in Vegas but I wasn't quite ready to pay 3-4x more of what I paid for this GS Atrium coach. In addition to the floorplan, I happen to really like how it looks. I think it' sharp. We are very satisfied and happy with the rig and how much we paid for it. Maybe when we are ready to upgrade, down the road, I'll spend a little more for the bells and whistles.

Good luck with your search! Sorry but I dont know why the last pic is upside down? User error for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GS 2021 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	339254   Click image for larger version

Name:	GS 2021 3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	339255  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GS 2021 4.JPG