Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #1

Gulf Stream Tour Master

I know a lot of people rate Newmar and country coach and Tiffin very highly. I’m wondering what everyone thinks about the gulf stream tour master just because I really like the floor plan. I haven’t really heard anything about them good or bad. Any advice is appreciated.
Armymags1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 01:21 AM   #2

You are looking at a minimum of an eleven year old diesel pusher with the last year of the Tourmaster. The last of the series of which I am familiar were equipped with hydraulic brakes instead of the air brakes found on most competitive diesel pushers in that class.
I would verify the availability of parts for the systems like the brakes, and verify the durability of Cummins C series engines of the year you are considering. Then drive it if it appears to be what you desire.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #3

Friends of our purchased a brand new Tour Master back in 2010. It was a beautiful coach. I think it was the last year they made the Tour Master. It had a tag axle and I believe a Cummins ISL --either a 400 or 425 HP-- engine. I'm not sure about the hydraulic brakes that Oregonpharme mentioned as I just assumed it had full air brakes.

I don't think you should hesitate considering the Gulf Stream brand. It's a rock solid product ...in my opinion. Like Newmar, it had its beginnings in Napanee IN and also had ties to the Amish and Mennonite traditions of handcrafted quality interiors --like Newmar.

I don't believe --others can correct me if I'm wrong-- that Gulf Stream is currently offering Class A motorhomes any longer.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tourmasters were built on Freightliner Custom Chassis XCR motorhome chassis, so had full air brakes & suspension. The most recent years (2008-2010) were configured with Cummins ISL engines. The axles, brakes, transmission, etc. in those chassis are all trucking industry standard components.

Here's a 2010 Tourmaster brochure:
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...r_A_Diesel.pdf

And the 2010 Tourmaster chassis specs from Freightliner:
https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b...our-Master.pdf

Some other models used the MC front diesel chassis, e.g. the Crescendo and Yellowstone front diesel models. That chassis has spring suspension and hydraulic brake.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

(Just a correction to my previous post: I just emailed my friends --they are out of the country right now-- and they confirmed that they were extremely pleased at the quality of their Tour Master. They confirmed it had full air brakes BUT did not have a tag axle. I was initially just going by a rendition I had in my files --HERE-- that showed the color scheme of their coach that did have a tag. I'm not sure which Tour Master models had a tag axle.)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a quality coach.
Armymags1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

None of the 2010 Tourmaster's needed a tag - they are all 40 footers with a 32,400 lb GVWR, well within the specs for a single rear axle. Only the Constellation model had a tag.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2010 was the last year Gulfstream made class A motor homes. We bought one new in 2003 or 4 and again in 2010, they did have better quality than any other coach in the same price range.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #9

We have an 03 Gulf Stream Yellowstone and are very happy with it. Great quality interior and well built exterior. Ours has a CAT 330HP and is listed as 38.5 we call it 40 just because We did buy it when it was 10 years old and we have had it for about 6 years.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf stream