Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The best thing to do is leave your firearms at home .
mark8061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once again this thread has wandered off the original topic Guns in Motorhome traveling to Canada resulting in several posts being edited or deleted. If this thread continues to go off topic it will be closed.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To the original poster. If you are going to be leaving at the same entry point as you went in. Call one of the local banks in the area and see about renting a safety deposit box. This is just a spur of the moment idea and not sure whether that would be an option but if you can do that it will be the safest place you could leave your gun and you rent those boxes by the year.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
To the original poster. If you are going to be leaving at the same entry point as you went in. Call one of the local banks in the area and see about renting a safety deposit box. This is just a spur of the moment idea and not sure whether that would be an option but if you can do that it will be the safest place you could leave your gun and you rent those boxes by the year.
I had a first hand experience with this just last summer. We were crossing into Canada at the Sault Ste. Marie crossing and I had forgotten that I had left my pistol in the MH, duh!

When asked by the Canadian Border Patrol if I had any firearms I told them yes. They had a couple of suggestions, I could go back to the US side and mail it home or leave it with them for safekeeping. I would have 45 days to come back and pick it up.

I hadn't planned on going back through there but what the heck. So after going through Canada and down to Niagara Falls we went back through New York, through PA and Ohio and back up through Michigan and picked the gun up at the same crossing. Pretty easy and simple with no hassles.

In all it turned out very well as we got to go up through Michigan again, only by a different route, and then through the Upper Peninsula and on through Wisconsin and back home. We had never been through the U.P. so that was a definite plus.

On the U.P., nice place for a lunch stop!:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5848.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	61972  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I had a first hand experience with this just last summer. We were crossing into Canada at the Sault Ste. Marie crossing and I had forgotten that I had left my pistol in the MH, duh!

When asked by the Canadian Border Patrol if I had any firearms I told them yes. They had a couple of suggestions, I could go back to the US side and mail it home or leave it with them for safekeeping. I would have 45 days to come back and pick it up.

I hadn't planned on going back through there but what the heck. So after going through Canada and down to Niagara Falls we went back through New York, through PA and Ohio and back up through Michigan and picked the gun up at the same crossing. Pretty easy and simple with no hassles.

In all it turned out very well as we got to go up through Michigan again, only by a different route, and then through the Upper Peninsula and on through Wisconsin and back home. We had never been through the U.P. so that was a definite plus.

On the U.P., nice place for a lunch stop!:
My first trip to Canada I entered at the entrance point you mention. They asked me if I had a pistol I told them no. The guy looked at my Arkansas drivers license and told me that since I was from ARkansas he did not believe me and wanted to know why I did not have a firearm with me( This was before concealed carry permits.) I told him a friend of mine from Detroit warned me to not take one with me. The guard was getting ready to search my car when I told them about my friend warning me not to do that. When you are from certain parts of the country the assumption is that you have a gun.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
My first trip to Canada I entered at the entrance point you mention. They asked me if I had a pistol I told them no. The guy looked at my Arkansas drivers license and told me that since I was from ARkansas he did not believe me and wanted to know why I did not have a firearm with me( This was before concealed carry permits.) I told him a friend of mine from Detroit warned me to not take one with me. The guard was getting ready to search my car when I told them about my friend warning me not to do that. When you are from certain parts of the country the assumption is that you have a gun.
That is very true. While I was at the crossing checking my pistol in for their safekeeping, my wife and granddaughter were talking with a lady border patrol officer. The border patrol officer told them that they assume that travelers that are from Texas probably are carrying a firearm and that lots of them do. She also said that Texans tended believe that they could take their firearms with them anywhere they go.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #35

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Has anyone crossed into Canada after declaring a Kel-Tec KSG Pump Shotgun?

This bad boy is 26.1" in overall length. It is a 12 gauge with capacity of 6+6+1 3" shells or 7+7+1 2.75" shells. Barrel length is 18.5".

If legal to take into Canada, is it legal then to have with you while hiking the Grizzly, Mountain Lion and crazed-Moose outbacks of Canada. I also wanted to be relaxed while panning for gold and not be thinking of how surprised I would be by a visit from a Grizzly.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
If I can't have a gun on my hip then there is nothing worth seeing in that state or country.
I believe in your right to carry; since I'm from miami and did 30 yrs fire rescue exposed guns make me really nervous. I have several weapons myself and my wife is a retired leo ; yes strange combo! She made the mistake at the buffalo border crossing by innocently telling the guard she was retired police officer. He had a cow and yelled out she has a gun ; SHE DID NOT. They sent us over in line with all the terrorists and stripped our car to the bones. grrrrrr Lessen learned say nothing and dont even think of cheating.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfishin View Post
You can NOT mail gun anywhere. Has to be shipped, UPS-Fed X by someone who has a FFL.
Not correct, it is quite legal to ship a gun, what is illegal is to do a transfer of owner without shipping through an FFL dealer.
You can also ship your gun back to the manufacturer for repairs, and warranty work without an FFL.

That must ship by FFL is a myth perpetrated by less than honest FFLs
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #38

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	61996
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #39

Taking a handgun into Candada is illegal.Alaska state troopers compete with Canadian Mounties every year with handguns. The troopers are not permitted to bring their handguns over the border. In addition, from my own personal experience, rifles and shotguns though you are allowed to bring them into Canada there is a misconception by Americans as to what they may do with those weapons. In Canada you cannot under any circumstance use your rifle or shotgun against a HUMAN. You will be arrested and will stay as their "guest" for a long time. I found this out on my very first crossing years ago. As I was leaving the office they got my attention and informed me of this fact. Targets and animals yes, humans NO. Knives bats and frying pans are ok to defend yourself.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #40

Woodydel,

Just for clarification...Alaska State Troopers competing against the RCMP can take their duty handguns to Canada for "The Shoot". I was on the team for nine years. We needed a letter from the RCMP Superintendent to present to Canadian customs when traveling to Whitehorse, YT. Weapon had to be secured and unloaded.

HoboBob

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
The border patrol officer told them that they assume that travelers that are from Texas probably are carrying a firearm and that lots of them do. She also said that Texans tended believe that they could take their firearms with them anywhere they go.
Smile when you say that, pardner.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Although I am unhappy with the Canadian Rules on Hand Gun ownership I respect the peoples rights to disagree with my stance. I also like that those in the states have a multiple choice style of gun ownership and that's OK too.

The point is that because of misrepresentations on both sides of the argument on both sides of our borders we are all being disallowed a choice one way or the other. Think about it.

BTW years ago I was a member of a shooting club and we took pistols back and forth over the border all the time. BTW at the Sault Ste Marie crossing aforementioned. Proper documentation of an official shoot being attended and proper gun permits etc.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome