Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Guns in Motorhome traveling to Canada

I understand you cannot take a gun into Canada. So what do you do with your gun if you decide to take a side trip across the border? Are there places that will hold them for you? What if you're exiting Canada by another route?
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There is another recent thread here about this

I think the most cost effective answer to the post was to throw the gun in a lake before you get to the border if you were not able to exit via the same point.
I believe some suggested gun shops would hold them for a fee.
You should be able to search for the thread.
I think it was terminated because the discussion was off topic.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
I understand you cannot take a gun into Canada. So what do you do with your gun if you decide to take a side trip across the border? Are there places that will hold them for you? What if you're exiting Canada by another route?
look up a FFl dealer near your entry to canada on the U.S. side
and have him or her ship it to your exit location for pickup
easy peazy
might cost you 20-30 plus postage, but at least you wont be unarmed in the U.S.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

One can take rifles and shot guns through Canada, as long as they meet the requirements for Canada, declare them and pay the fees for them. We travel with a pump shot gun and have no issues. We will also be traveling with two rifles, this spring when we go to the 'lower 48'.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

You cant take side arms into canada but a rifle or shotgun is ok. Double barrels are recommended by Joe Biden.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

FOLKS: The thread topic is WHAT TO DO WITH A FIREARM IF CROSSING THE BORDER.

Please keep comments on topic. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Honest question, can you not just post your guns back to your sticks and bricks address or that of a relative? Or is there some kind of postal regulation regarding firearms? Seems that it might be a tad easier than shipping it from one holding company to another.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
One can take rifles and shot guns through Canada, as long as they meet the requirements for Canada, declare them and pay the fees for them. We travel with a pump shot gun and have no issues. We will also be traveling with two rifles, this spring when we go to the 'lower 48'.
I've been looking at the Canadian requirements on a shotgun but can't find the minimum barrel length nor magazine capacity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Honest question, can you not just post your guns back to your sticks and bricks address or that of a relative? Or is there some kind of postal regulation regarding firearms? Seems that it might be a tad easier than shipping it from one holding company to another.
Can't ship a handgun via USPS, has to go through UPS overnight and an FFL might be needed at both ends.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #10

The one we travel with is a Winchester 12 ga pump, extended mag and 18" barrel. In all of the trips we have taken this weapon through Canada, we have never had an issue. Just keep the ammo seperate while traveling through Canada and declare it at customs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've been looking at the Canadian requirements on a shotgun but can't find the minimum barrel length nor magazine capacity.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Shotguns and most rifles are acceptable provided you declare them at the border and fill out the Canadian registration form and pay $25. THe registration is good for 2 months.

TO speed up the crossing you can download the form and have it ready when you hit the border. It's never taken me more than 15 minutes to declare my firearm(s) and be on my way.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The clip capacity is 3 but if you have a plug a five shot mag is OK. I have a Mosburg with a five shot clip and I had to purchase the plug to be considered legal. I'm not sure if the regulation still is applicable as I haven't had the thing out of the closet in 20 years. Lost interest in hunting.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
cwf

Well, if the weapon is to stay on the 'free' side, er, south of Canada, and it is not very expensive, you COULD just go to a 'pawn shop'... they will give you cash .. and if you return and pick it up after the agreed to time, it is a nominal fee for the 'loan' you pay back... YMMV...

On the other hand, if you know any 'friendlies' on the sunny side of the border, you could ask them to hang on to a 'small lock box' you have...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #14

The laws here in Canada have always seemed a little confusing to me ( and I am sure other Canadians ) but did a little research tonight after coming across this thread. Here's what I found:

Overall length must be over 26"

Semi auto shotguns limited to 5 round capacity. Pump/lever unlimited.
But all must have plug to limit to 3 rounds if actually using them to hunt waterfowl.

Learned something new!!

Tags
motorhome