RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack View Post
Tiffin 31sa. Is the v10 have enough power to get the job done
given the low gear ratios these new units have and the small size and weight of a 31A u will be fine.
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #30

One last quick thought. Need to run, but it woul seem odd to me that the 20.5/22k chassis on 19s would have the same rear ratio as the 22k on 22.5s, so if interested, probably need to spend more time on that. Maybe Danny is correct that the 22k on 22.5s is the same as the 24/26k.........
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Oh please, you must have had some serious insulation problems or your engine was about to die if you can't hear yourself talk at 3,500 rpm. These kind of statements are so far from the truth and misleading to the general public.
Actually, I owned a 2013 Coachmen Mirada for only 6 months due to the same problem. We liked the design and the interior of that motorhome, but towing our Jeep Unlimited up hills meant that my wife would lie in bed and leave me alone in the driver's seat for hours on end. The sound of the engine right next to my right knee was deafening. No kidding, and not trying to "diss" other gassers. My assumption then was that the entry level Gasser Class-A's have to make them inexpensive somehow, and low insulation around the engine compartment is an easy and invisible way to cut costs...

We upgraded to a DP within our first year of ownership. We took a hit financially too, but now we can carry on enjoyable conversations without raising our voices at all, and my head no longer hums after long drives.

I would encourage the OP to take a long ride up hills, towing a vehicle of similar weight to what they plan on towing. Listen to the sound... If it doesn't bother you, then that's one thing off of the check-list.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #32

Guts

The noise , heat and fuel used turns me off regarding Gas engines. Heavier units that are towing should have a diesel........they are designed to do the job.
Drive both.......you will soon be convinced.
I have years of experience towing tri axle equipment trailers with Ford 450 dual wheel types with V-10 gas engines..........very disappointing performance in anything but flat travelling. Company changed fleet to 6.7 Ford diesels and some of the new Cummins diesels and life was good. Very limited breakdowns,more power,better fuel economy and less driver fatique.
I realize as we get older life isn't a race and big panic to get anywhere , but performance is satisfying. JMHO
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
had 35 foot suncruzer with v10 for6 1/2 year, traded for 08 40 foot Ellipse with 400 cumming... world of difference.
DANandJoella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #34

The six speed is supposed to be remarkably quieter than the previous standard 5 speed.

for some, going with a DP isn't practical for numerous reasons
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
The six speed is supposed to be remarkably quieter than the previous standard 5 speed.

for some, going with a DP isn't practical for numerous reasons
Exactly what I was going to say - I researched this pretty extensively a few months ago and folks with the 6spd are very happy. The best comments I found were from the few people that had driven both older 5spd v10 and newer 6spd v10 on the same roads. They reported better shifting, lower RPM and improved sound deadening.

One other thing worth noting is the HP rating dropped from 362 to 330 with the newer setup but rumor has it there's no difference. The lower rating is at a lower RPM and I think there was some emission thing or other reason for doing it this way. Basically, don't think you're getting a lesser v10 in a newer F53 chassis. It's the same thing as before.

In the end my take is gas and diesel have obvious differences but improvement with either is a good thing and consumers win.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #36

I don't know
Old 12-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Absolutely not. You will need to ad one of these
Just be sure to mount it sideways..

😂😂😂

This is by far my favorite MH. Hope to own one some day.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
The unit will get you anywhere you reasonably want to go. May not be the fastest but you will arrive within minutes of the guys that pass you. It has to do with power to weight ratio and how far you want to stick your foot in.

We are satisfied to do around 60 and to climb hills with the transport trucks.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Add a Banks Power Pac to that V-10 along with a transmission shift chip and run with the big boys.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote