RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #29

Find out what the limiting factor is for each GAWR. If it's the tires, you can remedy that with higher load rated tires. More than likely GVWR is a combination of brakes, tires, transmission and axles. I would want to know what the limiting factor is before suggesting a way to gain load carrying capacity. In my case the front axle rating is 16,000#, but the tires can only carry 15,680#, so it has the lower rating for the weakest component.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
GVWR is based on any number of factors and determined by the manufacturer. My prior RV, 36 DP, Freightliner chassis- had a GVWR of 22,000# Front axle 8000 and rear 15,000. Tires had 3-400 lbs leeway above the axles... The weight limit was due to the Allison 1000 transmission which had the 22,000 pound limit.
It's very unlikely you will be weighed in an RV. but as mentioned several times, the extra weigh affects handling, braking distance and overall wear. How much over and for how long before something gives..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #31

If you can get separate weights for the left and right side of each axle (aka corner weights), that will be even more helpful in terms of how to pack your RV for the best weight balance.
For instance, my passenger side front corner weight is lighter than the drivers side by about 600 pounds, and the total front axle weight is 2,200 pounds under GAWR so I have some leeway to pack heavier items towards the right front of the coach. The rear axle is the opposite and the tag axle is about even left to right.
I was a bit surprised to find my coach with a full tank of diesel fuel, full fresh water, plus passengers and cargo came in at 9,000 pounds under the 44,100 pound GVWR. Knowing the axle weights allowed me to reduce the air pressure in the tires yielding a softer ride.
Hopefully once you get weighed you'll have a pleasant surprise as well.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote