Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

GVWR Question

So I just picked up my new 2019 Fleetwood Bounder 35K. While I am not new to RVing I am new to ownership, been renting them for several years and never really paid any attention to weight. The MSO from Fleetwood states the shipping weight is 20580 lbs, I assume this includes full fuel. This basically leaves me with 1420 lbs cargo, persons, water etc., (22K chassis).

I weigh about 180, wife weighs about 130. If I travel with half a tank of fresh water (tank is 100 gal) 50 gal would be an additional 420 lbs. With just fresh water and two people on board I'm down to 690 lbs of cargo left. Now I haven't weighed any of my gear, but I have been preparing and have purchased 95% of what I think I need to live full time. I have been conscious about the weight of items I'm buying, but a few things are just heavy by nature like the grill, VIAir compressor, assortment of basis tools, etc. Of course I have sewer hoses, fresh and black tank hoses, camp chairs, small table, and multiple other items. I did buy melamine dishes and high end plastic drinkware (as high end as plastic can be) all in an effort to be weight conscious. None of this includes groceries, clothing, etc., but I'm sure it will be more than 690 lbs. I guess my question is, does any leeway exist on this 22k load? I'm sure I won't be 23k, probably somewhere closer to 22.5k. I take the blame for not thinking about the weight prior to purchase, but when the say it sleeps up to 8, that is extremely misleading. Even if everyone weighed 100 lbs, 8 people and a full tank of fresh water would put you over the limit. Other than cutting off a couple of limbs I just don't know where I can reduce the weight.
Triple H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Gross
Vehicle
Weight
Rating

Maximum weight of RV set by MFG---for warranty issues
Axle/Tire Weights are the DOT Legal Ratings
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #3

Old-Biscuit - You are incorrect. Both GVWR and GAWR come from the manufacturer and recommend neither should be exceeded. And I didn’t need you to tell me the definition of GVWR.
Triple H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

TripleH
Welcome to the world of RV mfgs and their optimism about weights...
The only real worry I would have is weight on individual tires--you should get the unit weighed and see where each tire/axle is compared to ratings.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
I guess my question is, does any leeway exist on this 22k load? I'm sure I won't be 23k, probably somewhere closer to 22.5k. I take the blame for not thinking about the weight prior to purchase, but when the say it sleeps up to 8, that is extremely misleading. Even if everyone weighed 100 lbs, 8 people and a full tank of fresh water would put you over the limit. Other than cutting off a couple of limbs I just don't know where I can reduce the weight.
Legally, no. The GVWR is the GVWR. Can't be changed unless the manufacturer does it. You really need to get the coach weighed, as factory numbers are notoriously inaccurate. Are you pulling a toad or trailer? Don't forget to account for that as well.

Many people travel with almost empty water tanks because of GVWR limitations. That's a problem if you're boon docking, but not for most campgrounds or RV parks.

How many seat belts does it have? Because that's the number of people that need to be accounted for in the GVWR. You won't be driving if all the sleeping positions are full.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #6

Get it ready to travel, full fuel, as much water as you think you need, all your stuff And people, and go weigh it. By axle ! Thats the only real way to know where you are.... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

GVWR has no legal basis.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
GVWR has no legal basis.
Kind of off the subject a bit, but yes it does. There are a couple of states, if I'm not mistaken that will ticket you for over GVWR. And it certainly comes into play in other states as far as Driver's License Classification.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
GVWR has no legal basis.
For all states, the GVWR is a legal number for CDL. From what I have heard some states use it for drivers license need for RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Kind of off the subject a bit, but yes it does. There are a couple of states, if I'm not mistaken that will ticket you for over GVWR. And it certainly comes into play in other states as far as Driver's License Classification.
I would like to see your list of states that will write a ticket for even a commercial vehicle over any rating other than tires. The tire rating is a legal limit... But some owners weigh their RV, nobody else does.
The manufacturer sets the ratings for a level of performance based on the lightest duty part. Any changes after production can reduce the rating, but not increase it. And most parts, you would not know you reduced the rating unless something failed.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post

GVWR is NOT covered by any Statue

Drivers License Classification is a infraction of not having the correct DL not being over GVWR
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I would like to see your list of states that will write a ticket for even a commercial vehicle over any rating other than tires. The tire rating is a legal limit... But some owners weigh their RV, nobody else does.
You dont want to fool with Tennessee. At all. They wont impound a vehicle but they will write a ticket. A couple guys i work with were driving from pa to tx in a ram 4500 with a gooseneck that was close to 30k. The one kids dad told him DO NOT GO THROUGH TENNESSEE! what did he do? Went through Tennessee and got himself a nice fine.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #12

gvwr

First,you will never be weighed,you don't have to go over scales.The vehicle won't break in half if you are a thousand over.Make sure you have enough air in tires to carry the weight.The cops don't care about you'they are looking for trucks that are overweight,sometime they check for tires[front]that can't carry the weight.I know I'll be flamed for this post,ex fleet manager for a dump truck and trailer operation.Take it easy and be safe!
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
So I just picked up my new 2019 Fleetwood Bounder 35K. While I am not new to RVing I am new to ownership, been renting them for several years and never really paid any attention to weight. The MSO from Fleetwood states the shipping weight is 20580 lbs, I assume this includes full fuel. This basically leaves me with 1420 lbs cargo, persons, water etc., (22K chassis).

I weigh about 180, wife weighs about 130. If I travel with half a tank of fresh water (tank is 100 gal) 50 gal would be an additional 420 lbs. With just fresh water and two people on board I'm down to 690 lbs of cargo left. Now I haven't weighed any of my gear, but I have been preparing and have purchased 95% of what I think I need to live full time. I have been conscious about the weight of items I'm buying, but a few things are just heavy by nature like the grill, VIAir compressor, assortment of basis tools, etc. Of course I have sewer hoses, fresh and black tank hoses, camp chairs, small table, and multiple other items. I did buy melamine dishes and high end plastic drinkware (as high end as plastic can be) all in an effort to be weight conscious. None of this includes groceries, clothing, etc., but I'm sure it will be more than 690 lbs. I guess my question is, does any leeway exist on this 22k load? I'm sure I won't be 23k, probably somewhere closer to 22.5k. I take the blame for not thinking about the weight prior to purchase, but when the say it sleeps up to 8, that is extremely misleading. Even if everyone weighed 100 lbs, 8 people and a full tank of fresh water would put you over the limit. Other than cutting off a couple of limbs I just don't know where I can reduce the weight.

I can’t blame you for being upset about this issue. Realistically, your main concern should be your tires and if they are rated for the load. You can’t know this unless you weigh your coach. Chances are, you are over weigh on one axle or the other and an even greater chance that you are over weight one one or more wheel position. Until you are able to have your coach weighed, inflate your tires to the psi on the label at the driver’s seat.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #14

At least your new Motorhome has 1420 lbs extra cargo capacity . My brother has a 30 ft class c toy hauler with a 450 ford chassis. He has lost 4 rear tires in the past year. I had him weigh his coach and we found the Coach is over the gvw. The rear wheels are where the excess weight is. The 16” tires are 200 lbs each over the tire rating. It had an empty water tank and quarter tank of fuel. The only load in the cargo area is a 250 lb motorcycle and his tool box. This coach was sold new with little or no excess carrying capacity and it is a toy box ?? He should have been more aware of gvw like you are.