Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
"H" Pattern Chassis Misalignment

2005 Alpine Coach with air bag suspension. Escapee SmartWeigh results:
Front end: 1200 lb right front higher than left front. With air bags deflated the difference shrinks to 500 lb.
Rear end: With rear bags inflated left side 2600 Lb higher than right. Air bags deflated, the imbalance reverses - right side now 2000 lb higher.

I need to find a really experienced alignment shop in or near Texas with equipment to solve the problem. Recommendation?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Don't know if your around Fort Worth if so rays champion springs just south of down town I believe it is on 287 they did mine they do big trucks
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
2005 Alpine Coach with air bag suspension. Escapee SmartWeigh results:
Front end: 1200 lb right front higher than left front. With air bags deflated the difference shrinks to 500 lb.
Rear end: With rear bags inflated left side 2600 Lb higher than right. Air bags deflated, the imbalance reverses - right side now 2000 lb higher.

I need to find a really experienced alignment shop in or near Texas with equipment to solve the problem. Recommendation?
Hello Alpine owners,
Have you checked ride height on level ground? You have 4 valves on an Alpine.
Robhend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for responses. Front valves were way off >1 inch. Adjusting them closer to spec worsened the front imbalance. My 2005 has one valve for both sides of the rear axle. Might have stuff in the lines. ???
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

If you have independent front suspension this could be a "weight jacking" problem. Set the front ride heights equally, then raise the opposite rear to increase weight on the light front side.

That works on cars with springs - the air bags probably complicate things by attempting to re-adjust.

What is important for consistent handling, especially braking, is to get the front weights equal. Depending on the effective spring rate of the bags, the ride height difference may be inconsequential. If you can't get it equal working from the rear, try adjusting front ride height until the weights are equal and if there's no noticeable tilt, you may be home free.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
@ Van Diemen, Thanks for the input. I can adjust front independently, but not rear. If I understand you correctly, adjusting the front light side higher than the left (1/2-3/4") should be equivalent to raising the opposite rear. I'll try it.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #7

let me know if it works. Another way might be to put a spacer between the rear air bag and the mount plate.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis