Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Hail / Hailstones size of softball - Experiences?

I was reading about a Hail event in Colorado Springs here:

Holy ****, Look At The Size Of The Hail That Hit Colorado Springs Yesterday - Digg

Not sure they were softball size (maybe golf ball size) but I'm curious to read about experiences with your Coach during a storm like that.

What damage did you experience, if any?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
I was reading about a Hail event in Colorado Springs here:
Not sure they were softball size (maybe golf ball size) but I'm curious to read about experiences with your Coach during a storm like that.
What damage did you experience, if any?
I know of one couple who were in a hailstorm in a Texas RV Resort a couple of years ago with baseball to softball size hail. Bottom line, there was $35,000-40,000 damage to their Tiffin Zephyr and it totaled their tow vehicle.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

Back a long time ago, we had hail damage to our first class C. It was a Mini Winnie model with an aluminum roof. The hail was a bit smaller than golf ball size but was large enough to "dimple" the roof. The air conditioner shroud was also a casualty. Replaced the shroud but lived with the dimples since they weren't really hurting anything. Luckily, the hail was coming straight down, otherwise we'd have probably had damage to the aluminum siding, maybe even some of the glass.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
In south Texas a few years ago, while we were gate guarding, a neighbor coach a couple miles from us had holes punched through the RV in many places, blasted out the windshield, besides destroying everything on the roof (but not their toad, fortunately).

The rig was totaled.

We were most fortunate that the hail that hit our own coach during that storm was no more than thumbnail-size.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Colorado has more hail and hail damage than any other state. We have lost three roofs on our homes and countless windows and a few totaled cars to hail when we lived there.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
There was another thread in the last week about a hail storm in Colorado. Smaller than golf ball size hail stones. AC and frig covers damaged, trucks roof & hood messed up.

On the ORV thread
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hail is never a good thing. I just had our roof re-shingled for the 3rd. time because of hail since I have lived in it. Soffits and gutters took a hit last year. Had my 5th. wheel trailer totaled in a hail storm in 2002. Had to have my vinyl pool liner replaced 3 years ago because of hail. Hail damage to 2 vehicles. Noticed in our MH last Sunday water standing in the shower floor, yup skylight was pretty well wiped out - didn't even know about it. Just when you think you have seen it all there is something else to deal with weather wise. In the city where I live, we have had blizzards (w/20 foot drifts), straight winds of nearly 100 mph with rain! A 9 inch rain in less than 12 hours, flooded nearly everything. Oh yes, don't want to forget the tornado that hit our community a few years back (May 2008) either causing millions of dollars in damage. Was camping twice when tornados hit the area where we were. I have been in Colorado when they have had hail storms and they are definitely worse than bad.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #8

My previous MH received substantial damage 30k dollars from hail damage in Georgia.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Colorado has more hail and hail damage than any other state.

Interesting, is there a official statistic about this somewhere?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #10

In June I Colorado Springs got hit in hail storm, all plastic on roof smash, one hail stone came thru sky light into shower. Multiple dimples on roof. About $21k to repair. Talk about being loud inside. Skip
Old 08-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes It is an official statistic. I am not sure where I saw it but check the NWS, NOAH, or insurance stats. But it is there somewhere.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #12

There were pictures of the hail damage and hail drifts in the streets in Manitou that were on the net and in the news stories. Many damaged homes, cars and of course campers.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #13

I own an auto glass company here, yes the hail was softball size at Cheyenne Mt. Zoo. The buildings were really screwed up bad..lots of sky lights. The zoo is closed until further notice. Gotta go, glass to install.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote