Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hair line cracks in siding

I have a 2005 Winnebego Adventurer with full body paint. I have hair line cracks in the fiberglass siding all over the place. At first I noticed a few spider web type cracks around windows, now there all over. Has anyone expirenced this or know what is going on? There does not appear to be any lifting or rising in the siding. Where will it end?
jrchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
HERE's a link to an older thread about cracking/checking on Winnebago RV's. Although, if you do a search on cracking paint or checking paint, you'll find there are plenty of other manufacturer's with the same issue.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

I had a 99 Itasca diesel what you are seeing is called checking, it will continue over time. Winnebago will not help you, back in 99 Kim-Lite made the fiberglass siding materials they would not help either. It will not hurt anything just looks bad. Some paint manufactures where 5 years ago when I was looking into it where working on a filler primer that would cover the problem. You would need to talk to someone who repaints motorhomes, but it is EXpensive for a full body paint. More than likely you will need to just ingnore it and enjoy your M/H. You might also do some research you may have some legal remeady as your coach is only 6 years old, lawyers can do wonders some times. Good luck getting resolution to your problem.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hair-line cracks

Thank you for the thread, looks like I had a long road to go down.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #5

It is a shame that the RV manf and their suppliers don't stand by the products they sell for us lots of our hard earned $$$$. You might look in your owners manual it should tell you what supplier made the siding and contact them. And I know there was a class action suit with Fleetwood about the finish yellowing on some of thier products, although I don't know the outcome. The problem is also called crazing, sad to say the only real fix is to replace it which is very costly, and time consuming.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchep View Post
I have a 2005 Winnebego Adventurer with full body paint. I have hair line cracks in the fiberglass siding all over the place. At first I noticed a few spider web type cracks around windows, now there all over. Has anyone expirenced this or know what is going on? There does not appear to be any lifting or rising in the siding. Where will it end?
YOU .. Have THERMAL FATIGUE .. It will never stop .. The resin and catalyst
in your fiberglass .. DUE TO HEAT .. Has caused THE COMPONENTS TO
RE CATALYZE .. It will only get uglier .. and keep cracking / checking ...
Let me know if you require more information ... winnebego won't help ..

there is a fix however you will need to get a loan to pay for it

thanks /.. Dave
dave47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #7

I have owned or looked at a good many Winnebago's dating from a 1988 unit (my current) to a 2001, 2003 Brave and each of them have delam issues, bubbles in the siding and it appears that they and other manufacturers have yet to solve the issues. I've heard that it is a quality control issue as many/most units are just fine. I get mad enough having paid just a few thousand bucks for this kind of problem, I'd hate to see how I'd feel if I paid mega-bucks.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #8

I have an 03 Adventurer that has "checking" too. I think when the time comes I'll have it all sanded out and fully repainted. Other than that the RV has been flawless.

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your reply Dave, and your very right, Winnebago won't help at all, we went round and round. They say (get this) " If you leave your motorhome out in the sun to long this can happen". huh? When I bought it no one told me I could'nt take it outside!! It's going to be a long road to go down, thaks Jack
Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Already had a quad by-pass, wife wants me to calm down, how can I , every time I look at it, it drives me insane. Local RV place wants to peel the outer layer of siding off-all the way around- re-apply new layer and re-paint, time for another by-pass!! Their talking five figures hands down. I think I'm going to cover it with vinyl shelf paper, maybe leopard or camauflage what do you think? thanks Jack
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Already had a quad by-pass, wife wants me to calm down, how can I , every time I look at it, it drives me insane. Local RV place wants to peel the outer layer of siding off-all the way around- re-apply new layer and re-paint, time for another by-pass!! Their talking five figures hands down. I think I'm going to cover it with vinyl shelf paper, maybe leopard or camauflage what do you think? thanks Jack
A lemon color might get Winnebago's attention. We also have some of the aforementioned hairline cracks.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi JC, thanks for your reply, question, what is the ultra-power upgrade on the 8.1? thanks, Jack
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Hi JC, thanks for your reply, question, what is the ultra-power upgrade on the 8.1? thanks, Jack

It is where the ECM is reprogrammed to allow the 8.1 to run more efficiently. I believe it was originally created/offered by Brazels RV Performance Center Brazel's RV Centralia Washington. Ours was done in 2007 @ the IRV2 national Rally in Branson, Mo. I immediately notice quicker acceleration/power when starting out from a standstill and fewer tranny downshifting on hills. Our mpg increased after 2000-2500 miles, going from 7.5 to 8.3 @ 63-65 mph. IMO it was money well spent and significantly cheaper than a Banks kit. I will send you a PM with some names of forum members who can do this if your interested.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a Vectra with 12,000 miles on it and returned it for the same reasons. After many calls to dealers I found out Winnabego was discounting $22,000.00 on a 2008 new unit so I call Winnabego and talked to the Vice President who told me they have had 5 sidewall companies in 4 years and still have the issues and the only way to fix it was to take it to Winnabegos plant and replace the side walls. If you can imagine that. He would not give me an estimate so after no consideration at all I bought Monaco.
starvin is offline   Reply With Quote