Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

Half my electrical outlets don't work.....part of the time

I've read a number of posts on electrical outlets not working, but I have an unusual situation that I haven't been able to solve. Here's the situation;
1. Half my electrical outlets don't work, but only when I'm running on the inverter only.
2. All outlets work when connected to shore power.
3. All outlets work when the generator is running.
4. I checked the inverter and have 120v leaving both on both legs
5. As best i can tell there is no sub panel between the inverter and the outlets
6. All the GFI outlets seem to be ok especially based on #2 and #3 above.

My motorhome is a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X and the inverter is a Magnum MS2000. I have considered tracing the wires from the inverter to the coach, but don't even know where to start as all the wiring is "buried" in the floor of the coach. Any suggestions on next steps? Thanks for any advice that anyone can provide.

lukesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe that is the way it is supposed to work.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukesrus View Post
I've read a number of posts on electrical outlets not working, but I have an unusual situation that I haven't been able to solve. Here's the situation;
1. Half my electrical outlets don't work, but only when I'm running on the inverter only.
2. All outlets work when connected to shore power.
3. All outlets work when the generator is running.
4. I checked the inverter and have 120v leaving both on both legs
5. As best i can tell there is no sub panel between the inverter and the outlets
6. All the GFI outlets seem to be ok especially based on #2 and #3 above.

My motorhome is a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X and the inverter is a Magnum MS2000. I have considered tracing the wires from the inverter to the coach, but don't even know where to start as all the wiring is "buried" in the floor of the coach. Any suggestions on next steps? Thanks for any advice that anyone can provide.

Totally normal. I believe on your coach the following outlets will work when on inverter only.

Bedroom entertainment centre
Living room entertainment centre
Ice maker plug behind fridge
Plugs on the fridge side of the coach below the cabinets

Microwave.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To confirm what Radar says, plug into shore power and turn your inverter off.
I suspect you will see exactly which outlets are on the inverter.

Regards,
Dan
Old 11-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. We've owned this coach for about 18 months and to be honest I don't know if I ever tested to see if they actually worked as you described. I'll used your suggestions and circle back. I hate it when I chase a problem that's not a problem in the first place! Live and learn.....
lukesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Virtually all units have circuits that are only powered from the pedestal or generator (think AC units). With an optional inverter, the circuits powered by the inverter are also Passed through the inverter automatically when powered from pedestal /Generator. This is true whether the inverter is in "on" or "off" mode.

Have a nice day - Darrel

Tags
electrical