Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #1

Half my outlets don't work!

I posted a few weeks ago about my GFCI, that the buttons wouldn't push to reset. I have now replaced the outlet....still no power to about half my outlets (including the one the fridge is plugged into. )

The new outlet is in, but the wires it connects to still have no power. I've reset all the breakers. This is a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H. I only find breakers on the side of the bed frame. There is a batch of fuses next to it...checked those too, but they seem to be fine. Am I missing something?

I sure hate to take it to a repair shop for something that seems like it should be a simple fix. I know there are some fuses under the steering wheel and more inside one of the bins. Could it be one in there?

I spent nearly $10K last month between a mechanic recommended by a friend who raped me on fixing my generator. He charged me $3,000 for labor because he put it back together and put it back into the RV - the front of the RV needs to come off to get to it - after just replacing a broken belt, only to find it still didn't run, which the second time he took it apart found it was the water pump. He was in a hurry to get it out of his shop and didn't want to wait for the other new parts I had coming that I wanted replaced as long as it was taken apart.
Then I had a pop in the right front brake. Freightliner couldn't do it for a couple weeks, so I went to a truck repair, Pro Fleet, and they said they could replace the brakes. They did brakes, drums and airbags for $2,600. After traveling 300 miles from Vegas to Phoenix, it started pulsing and pulling to the right when I braked. I continued to my destination in So. Cal and then a week later drove it home to Vegas. I took it back to them to figure out what was wrong and they kept it for two days and said it was a bushing and I needed an alignment. By then Freightliner got me in and found the shoes (?) had overheated from over-adjustment and crystalized and now needed to be replaced. Between that and a couple other things (the generator guy also did an oil change and overfilled it and it came out the slobber tube all over my tow vehicle , so they checked the level and cleaned that up for $200), the total came to another $2,700. Soooo...please feel sorry for me and help me figure out this electrical issue without needing another mechanic!!

If anyone has any ideas, please help! I have my fridge plugged into an extension cord and am getting by with extension cords and power strips. Heading out again Wednesday for another trip and am tiring of the extension cords all over.

Thanks in advance!!
Helenozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Have you checked the breakers on your inverter?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:02 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
It won’t be a fuse, as those are just for the 12vdc systems. Find the breaker that is supposed to power those outlets. Turn shore and generator power off, remove the panel that covers the breakers and check the wire on the breaker, and the neutral wire as well.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Have you checked the breakers on your inverter?
I did not even know about those. I will check in the morning...thanks!
Old 08-16-2021, 12:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
It won’t be a fuse, as those are just for the 12vdc systems. Find the breaker that is supposed to power those outlets. Turn shore and generator power off, remove the panel that covers the breakers and check the wire on the breaker, and the neutral wire as well.
I will check that. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2021, 01:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you may have two issues. Do you have a volt meter? Assuming that the GFI has wires hooked to the load side that may go to the kitchen outlets. Disconnect the load wires and see what happens and test for power.You can also disconnect the Black wire from the breaker and test for power. WITH the power disconnected you can do continuity test also.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:09 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Just noticed that you are in Vegas. I would be happy to help if you need it.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:03 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When a GFCI won't reset, it typically doesn't have power to it.

Check breakers on the inverter.

Failing that, check voltages and trace with a test meter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:10 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Best offer yet. It is so much easier with hands and eyes on versus chasing words on a forum.

You could have a J (junction) box with a loose connection. The Gfci needs input power to reset/work. You can push the button all day but if there is no input it will just give your finger a work out.

Chasing a J box is a miserable task for sure and having a good "fox and hound" is essential if you are going to maintain a monster that lives on a fault line shaking like a bridge in California during an earthquake.

As mentioned, the path may be through your inverter. Mine has two breakers on it. Magnum 2012?? Anyone, mine is a 2000 watt modified sine wave model. On some Magnums there is only one breaker but the two breaker ones trip up lots of us.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:37 AM   #10

I had a similar issue with my coach and it turned out to be a loose neutral wire where it was attached to the converter. Disconnect your power cord and check each connection for tightness.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
WOW!!! Thanks! I was in Flagstaff until Saturday, and my son put the outlet in. He's no expert but he did have a meter and said the wires going to it had no power. If you could help me, that would be AWESOME!

I think I can private message you...I'll try.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:35 PM   #12

Inverter breaker was flipped...but 3 outlets still don't work...including the new GFI

So most of the outlets work now, but 3 still don't. One that doesn't work is the new GFCI installed by my son. There is a light that is lit on it, but it does not work.

The good news is the refrigerator outlet does work, so I was able to remove that extension cord.

Thanks for all the good advice...I'm going to see if I can accept the generosity of fcbbob15 to figure out the last bit.

Thanks again! I now find I have a leak in a fridge hose that's spraying water. Off to find a new one of those. Always something!
Old 08-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
what did you do to get the outlets to work?
Old 08-16-2021, 03:53 PM   #14

I turned the breaker on the inverter to the "on" position. One was on and one was off.