Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Handicap lift-not wheelchair lift

My wife and I have bad knees and stairs are a problem. We have a 40' DP with front door. Does anyone know of some kind of lift that you just stand on? Neither of us needs a wheel chair.
Thanks for any input,
Mike and Kay
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

Handicap Lifts

We are in the same situation. We have had various RV units from a camper on a truck, class C units and a class A gas unit. The wife developed knee and leg problems over the years. As a result she could not ride comfortably the in our 2001 35' Allegro Bay gas unit because of the passenger seat configuration. This resulted of her not wanting to travel.

The Allegro Bay was traded for a 2005 Kountry Star diesel pusher which has more leg room for the passenger. As a result we made three major trips and verious local short trips last summer.

I have searched the web for handicap lifts (not wheel chair) and found several different sources. There seems to be more lifts for Class A gas units than for Class A diesel pusher units.

I have not found a lift that would meet my requirements for our unit but maybe I'm too particular. I'm still looking.
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a look at post 5 in the link.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/pleas...fe-113738.html

It is "the solution" but as another posted - doesn't seem just right, either. If you are tall, you will need to either duck - or stop short of the full ride. It would be a short step up. Also - while I wouldn't expect it to a fast ride - 90 seconds cycle up / down time is pretty slow. Still - beats not going. Hope this helps.

Edit - found another...
http://www.coachlift.com/rv-handicapped-lifts

Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They make lifts, where the person stands and the unit lifts the person up.

The best place to find information about the RV lifts is to contact a vendor who specializes in Wheelchair lifts, ramps and vehicle modifications for the handicapped.

Also, depending on your insurance... it may be covered! Don't accept the being turned down immediately. There is a thing called *depression* that often sets in as people age. This *depression* can often be treated without medications when the person(s) are able to be part of society and be able to travel and see things... I know a few who have had their doctor write script for such a lift and the doctor wrote a letter on the persons behalf. Insurance paid all but 20% of it... Much cheaper in the long run as the couple were able to continue a active lifestyle who would have otherwise, sat at home and their bodies would have become stiffer, and their minds would have started deteriorating which would have cost the insurance company a whole lot more when you think about the mechanics of the body. Therefore, they agreed to buy and install a lift for the RV. That was 7 years ago, and they still RV!

Needs tips just ask... where there is a will... there is a way!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles - Handicap Vans - Mobility Equipment or Burr Engineering | Handy Lift would be worth look.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would check with a local source who deals with handicap vans. My wife and I have each owned one for our last spouses who were disabled. My wife discussed modifying a class A with the van dealer and he said that it could be done.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Send a message via Yahoo to MdMDesigns Send a message via Skype™ to MdMDesigns
Of course, there are lifts. Can be done. Can be added. Dealers should really add this to comply with ADA laws that if a dealer selling an RV and they need a lift, they should really add that. I know that converted vans for Disabled are more common to add lifts.

I have seen somewhere in past about the stand up lift. I think I saw that at an automobile show.

So, talk with dealers about those need accessbility to be added on when purchasing at the dealers only. But if you are buying from a private owner, then you have to take it to a custom shop to add that. I mean by a supplier who sells disabled equipment can install it.

Some RVs have narrow door and a wheelchair accessbility is way off. There are Toy Haulers you can use or you can use motorcoaches/bus conversions that were Greyhound/Trailways or whatever, they have them already installed when they were running city to city or you can buy those motorcoaches and ask them to install lifts.

The standard doors on Class A and Class C are narrow. You will need to get to a custom shop to make doors wider. Since most RVs are stick-built, it is like you doing the work on a house, you can easily have them made wider. Becareful because some floor plans have kitchen cabinets and/or dinette backing right at the steps. You will need to make it wider by opening up more on the right side when you are facing from outside toward your motorhome or trailer. All depends. If the door is right by the tire on the right side.. not good one. Be sure you look at the floor plan to see if you can modify the door. I will have to draw and add pictures here using an existing RV as an example and then show a rendering of a converted version of the wider door. And floorplans. You will have to come back here later about that.
MdMDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't believe the stand on system will work. In order to reach the top step you would stand so tall you would not be able to fit through the door. Looks like the only one to work would be the sit in a chair style.

I am still shopping.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

http://www.travelliftchair.com

Try this it looks simple enough
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Eck

This is the one we use.

Home
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #11

I once saw a HDT with a lift installed on the drivers side of the truck. It was made to stand-on, and folded flat against the truck for storage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMDesigns View Post
Of course, there are lifts. Can be done. Can be added. Dealers should really add this to comply with ADA laws that if a dealer selling an RV and they need a lift, they should really add that. I know that converted vans for Disabled are more common to add lifts.

I have seen somewhere in past about the stand up lift. I think I saw that at an automobile show.

So, talk with dealers about those need accessbility to be added on when purchasing at the dealers only. But if you are buying from a private owner, then you have to take it to a custom shop to add that. I mean by a supplier who sells disabled equipment can install it.

Some RVs have narrow door and a wheelchair accessbility is way off. There are Toy Haulers you can use or you can use motorcoaches/bus conversions that were Greyhound/Trailways or whatever, they have them already installed when they were running city to city or you can buy those motorcoaches and ask them to install lifts.

The standard doors on Class A and Class C are narrow. You will need to get to a custom shop to make doors wider. Since most RVs are stick-built, it is like you doing the work on a house, you can easily have them made wider. Becareful because some floor plans have kitchen cabinets and/or dinette backing right at the steps. You will need to make it wider by opening up more on the right side when you are facing from outside toward your motorhome or trailer. All depends. If the door is right by the tire on the right side.. not good one. Be sure you look at the floor plan to see if you can modify the door. I will have to draw and add pictures here using an existing RV as an example and then show a rendering of a converted version of the wider door. And floorplans. You will have to come back here later about that.
Are you an expert on ADA designs? Your suggestion that dealers should add this to comply with ADA laws suggests you don't understand the law. Because no dealer is required to add accessible features in order to comply with the ADA law. This kind of statement can be very misleading to people.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

handy-lift

I have a burr handy-lift for sale. it is not designed for wheel chairs
came with my MH. took it off 3 years ago and stored it in my garage.
from Kelown BC
dros_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
HI Dros d:

I'm interested in your handy-lift. How was it attached to your motorhome and what type of motorhome was it? I live in Osoyoos and am looking for something for my wife who is unable to walk without assistance and is having great difficulty getting in and out of the motorhome (class "A" Discovery).

Thanks.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled, handicap