Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Handicap RV Information & Class B & Coach Conversions & Newmar 2021 Mobility Group

NEW IRV2 SEARCH ENGINE

CORRECT TIRE INFLATION VERY IMPORTANT & SOFT TIRES

THE NEW NEWMAR 2021 MOBILITY GROUP MOTOR HOMES ARE HERE Canyon Star DP, Kountry Star DP -- Have been added to group.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEWMAR OWNERS - SLIDES,JACKS,BATTERY CHARGING,RECALLS,MODS AND MUCH MORE

BUILD SHEET FOR 3911 CANYON STAR

NEWMAR CORP sticky

OTHER RV's & LIFTS

REMOTE CONTROL FOR NEWMAR CHAIR LIFT INFORMATION by Jim T.

================= RECALL's ================

CANYON STAR 3911 COACH 2011 THRU 2017 = This recall has to do with bolts for platforms, if you had it done fine, people buying used 3911's should check to see if done, we do not need people injured.
If you have the latest DSDP OR VENTANA models I would check them also, you can find all recalls in the COM_NET network for any coach, explained here.

2012--2013 Canyon Star Recall

SOMETHING FOR NEWBIES

THE NEED TO KNOW FOR NEWBIES

"Quick Tip's for Newmar Owners or any one else interested.

THE MANY MODERATORS OF NEWMAR QUICK TIPS AND SOME HISTORY OF IRV2.

TECH INFORMATION TIPS FOR MEMBERS

DEWINTERIZE OR WINTERIZE YOUR COACH.

""""IRV2 DISABLED RVers FORUM LINK""""

Google Handicap link

MOBILE DISABLED -- CLASS B

Company to add lift into RV.

YOU WILL FIND MANY MORE LINKS IN MY SIGNATURE BELOW QT's 1 & 2 & 3 and RV SYSTEMS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

My hubby is disabled and we are full timers...class A Monaco Lapalma...we installed a long pole just inside the door..(right hand side)..PVC with a wooden dowel down the center for extra strength..mounted it to the floor and then to the bottom of the small cabinet...you could also install one on the other side...helps my hubby get in and out of the motor home safely..

We also attached a wooden dowel to the blind valance along the bed so he can hold onto it as he walks along the bed...we used inch and a half size...

Also took the door off the toilet room..installed grab bars in the shower...

Built a platform as you exit motor home ....with steps 6 inch...
with rails...platform and steps are separate ...when we need to move them it makes it easier...we still have access to our front bay when steps are in place..

Those are a few things we did to make things easier

Steps and platform have hand rails...

My hubby has had to go by ambulance a few times and the platform makes it easier for fire rescue...

Take care
time2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A belated thanks for your post time2rv, safe travels.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2rv View Post
My hubby is disabled and we are full timers...class A Monaco Lapalma...we installed a long pole just inside the door..(right hand side)..PVC with a wooden dowel down the center for extra strength..mounted it to the floor and then to the bottom of the small cabinet...you could also install one on the other side...helps my hubby get in and out of the motor home safely..

We also attached a wooden dowel to the blind valance along the bed so he can hold onto it as he walks along the bed...we used inch and a half size...

Also took the door off the toilet room..installed grab bars in the shower...

Built a platform as you exit motor home ....with steps 6 inch...
with rails...platform and steps are separate ...when we need to move them it makes it easier...we still have access to our front bay when steps are in place..

Those are a few things we did to make things easier

Steps and platform have hand rails...

My hubby has had to go by ambulance a few times and the platform makes it easier for fire rescue...

Take care
This is inspiring. I don't imagine it is an easy task to modify an RV in such a way, so kudos to you, and I hope all goes well for your husband and you. It is also good to see there are so many options being offered by manufacturers. Cheers!
kowaprou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #5

Thought i would comment here. We have a severely CP handicapped niece. Although Newmar is not our manufacturer of choice; we are purchasing an Entegra Cornerstone.. We think it is fantastic that Newmar is providing a floorplan to a very specialized market. We think its awesome that Newmar offers ALL the ability to get up and go. Unfortunately our niece's handicap is so severe traveling in a motorhome would not work well for her. If it were the other way around for her we would be ordering Newmar solely for the ability to bring some joy in her world. Keep up the good work Newmar Corporation! Im sure others will take notice.

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem or Cornerstone
Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #6

My husband was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease) 2 years ago. So far he still drives and is walking unaided. We chose to Amp up our dream of traveling the US in a Motorhome by purchasing a 2006 Winnebago Journey in March of this year. We took it out to California from our home in Michigan for three weeks and every day something fell apart. The windshield wipers broke off whilst driving in blinding snow through the mountains, in June! Our step motor stopped working. We made it home. Took it out to Virginia where the engine blew on expressway where we sat for three hours until a second tow truck arrived. The first one was too small! Had to stay in Virginia because the place we needed to have it repaired wasn't open, it having been a Sunday. We ended up leaving it for a week and driving 11 hours home with most of our perishable items, 2 rotties and three adults in our Jeep Cherokee. My husband and his brother were driving home after picking it up and needed to stop for one night at a campground and the slides wouldn't work. Needless to say we traded it in for a newer Motorhome, 2013 Itasca. We are having minor issues but nothing as bad as the problems we encountered with the Winnebago. I've sort of digressed, but now I'm thinking we should have had some aftermarket work done so as to be prepared for the future when my husband is fully wheelchair bound. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with handicap add ons? One being lift at the door? If so, is there a company specializing in aftermarket improvements or add ons?
susieb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Susie welcome to irv2 and Handicap forum.
Sorry for all your problems with MH's you have had something that might have discouraged you to keep going with your travels.
Here is a link to many company's that will add lifts if you coach has the capability to do so.
In the first post there have been people that have done what your are contemplating may want to read their thoughts.
In that post is information about a company that builds new Handicap RV's for a wheel chair if needed in future.
Which ever you decide good luck in your dream's to fulfill your travels in the future.
Safe travel's to you both.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
PLEASE! PLEASE! Check out the Newmar Canyon Star 3911. Maybe, just maybe, you can find a used one. We couldn't in 2013 & bought new. Traded in a Winnebago '03 Brave that had been aftermarket modified. Glad we did. Newmar builds great products.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winnebago MAY still do aftermarket accessable work. They once did.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #10

You may find this company helpful. We took our 2010 Fleetwood Revolution LE 43' to Ride-Away in North Attleboro, MA. They installed a Brawn lift to put me into the coach and another lift to put me into bed. They did a great job. If you want more information on them let me know.
brooksbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Update links for 2017 year, safe travels everyone.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #12

I would interested to see a photo of any handicap ramp installs anyone has done. I am looking for a good way to help my mother get in and out of the RV. She has serious walking problems, so I'd like to see when anyone else might have done.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look in the first post and the irv2 handicap link may lead you to what your looking for.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #14

I read someplace that Newmar had the most leg room in the driver seat. I am 6'5 with a artifical lower part of my right leg. Hard to use in our class C ford is this true on newmar. I want a gas Class A around 33' Thanks Ron
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, newmar, handicap, mobility, class b