Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

Handling the mountains

We're on vacation by yellowstone, my MH is a 36ft Thor hurricane. We're pulling a car and have found that a lot of the long semi steep inclines are difficult to to maintain a good speed. Is using the tow haul the best method of conquering these hills. Even then my engine seems to run at a high rpm or is this normal. Please give me your 2 cents worth. Thanks
Budsm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
We're on vacation by yellowstone, my MH is a 36ft Thor hurricane. We're pulling a car and have found that a lot of the long semi steep inclines are difficult to to maintain a good speed.
What do you mean by "good speed"? Are fully loaded tractor trailers passing you? Do you have a gear left at the top of the pass? If so you are going fast enough in my seldom humble opinion. Just kick back and enjoy the ride together.
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Good speed meaning 35to40
Old 08-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

High RPMs are not only normal but necessary to keep the energy from over heating.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

Best thing you can do is just start dropping gears. I assume this is a gasser?

Living in Colorado I do this plenty.

Last weekend on Eisenhower and Rabbit ears pass I was running 1st gear @ 30-35 mph @3200-3800 rpm (4k redline) with 34 foot bounder w a 454 towing a 17.5 foot boat.

Last thing I would do is try to run that thing full throttle all the time because you will eventually find you can't cool the engine fast enough. Find a good gear manually and run her at a good pace. The less shifting under load that thing is doing the longer it will last you. Watch the water temp.

Typically the saying whatever gear you go up(the hill) in is the gear you go down in. Some flexibility there but for the most part accurate.
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is a good speed? For me 35 MPH is a good speed but on a long climb I don't mind tucking in behind the semi's and taking my time at a slower speed. I'm an east coaster so I don't have the climbs you maybe experiencing but step out of the race to the top. Stay to the right, turn on the four way flashers and take your time. Try and avoid, if possible, flooring the engine. Down shift, keep the RPMs up and back off the gas pedal a bit if you can.

The Ford V10 is a screamer. Max RPM is electronically limited to around 5250 RPM so you can't hurt the engine with the gas pedal. It won't let you. High RPM on a long climb is your friend. Engine torque is higher past 3500 RPM plus the engine water pump and transmission oil pump are approaching peak performance pulling heat out of both.

Tow/Haul will change the shift pattern but isn't a magic button to increase engine power. The assistance the mode provides will be felt more on deceleration with a more aggressive downshift when slowing down using engine compression to help slow you down. It will also hold a gear long when accelerating before up shifting.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:44 PM   #7

As I'm driving I'll drive in overdrive and when we get to the hill and I hear here drop to 3rd I'll shift manually out of OD.

When she drop her left to 2nd again I'll shift manually to second as well. Sometimes I can hold good RPM there and I'll leave it there. If RPM is falling still then it's time to follow her to 1st gear. You will have no problem keeping RPM here so get comfortable and ride to the top.

In 1st gear you won't even need full throttle.
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

As long as your not being passed by people on bicycles or people walking don't worry about it.

It's not a car but a 20k lb brick going up a hill thus low speeds are fine. Back in 09 when I had my Fleetwood Bounder 38P (38+ ft plus Wrangler unlimited) going up hills sometimes I would go under 30mph at the top of the mountain, yes I could of put my foot down more and gone 35+ but to me there was no need.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

4,500 + RPMs is normal, climbing a hill with a Ford V 10 engine.

You need HP and torque to climb hills, the V 10 makes it at a higher RPM then the V8s of older units.

A 5 Star Tune will help the transmission use 4th gear and keep some of the high RPMs down, on lesser hills. Fords programing downshifts from 5th to 3rd.

If you don't want to do that, turn on Tow/Haul and let it work for you.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
,,, more aggressive downshift when slowing down using engine compression to help slow you down.,,,
Need to correct myself before the diesel drivers and maybe a few purists flame spray me.

A gasoline engine uses vacuum caused by the closed throttle butterflies in the intake to slow a vehicle. A diesel engine braking assistance is by close off the exhaust or in effect compression braking.

In other words technically: gas - vacuum braking, diesel - compression braking.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #11

I wouldn't ever consider "conquering" mountain passes. That is a flatlander concept. Won't happen in a coach like that, be happy getting up and over, then back down safely.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #12

I do have the 5 star tune
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Also, gear that got you on the upside should be the same one you use for the downside. Safetely speaking.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As Twinboat said 4500 RPM is your friend in a hard climb. Best HP, good torque and good cooling for motor and transmission. If you can climb at a lower RPM and hold speed fine use that gear. As to gear depends on a 4,5,6 speed trans. On my older 4 speed with the 5 Star tune I can climb almost any pass at a good speed(6%-7%) in 2nd gear to 7000' then I slow. At 8000' and 7% I'm down to 40 MPH towing. With the Scan Gauge I can monitor true motor and trans temp(not a swinging needle) and all has been fine.

LEN