Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2020, 05:22 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Handling Tweaks & Mods - What Have You Done

We have had our rig for 9 month now. When we got it, it had significant room for improvement in the handling department. What we have done so far and in order is:

1. Added a Saf-T-Plus - helped a bit, but not a dramatic difference
2. Learned to read/use a tire inflation chart - much better ride and tires hold the road better, especially in the wet.
3. Changed to Koni shocks and added a 2” Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar at the same time - MAJOR difference in handling and the side to side rocking of the coach is pretty much gone.

What was a grueling 300 mile a day coach is now a pleasure to drive. We went 450 miles yesterday and, had we started earlier, could easily have gone more. Trucks don’t push us around much any more, although that Dutch Star that flew by at 90 last night moved us a bit. Now to do something about those pitiful headlights ...
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #2

When we got our new-to-us 2008 Tiffin a Saf-T-Plus was already installed so we loaded up, got four corner weight, verified weight distribution side-to-side and axle-to-axle were all within Freightliner's recommendations.

We did get an alignment and balanced ALL the tires.

After that we simply adjusted PSI to the Michelin RV chart recommendations and the MH drove like a dream.

No need to add anything else or change out the shocks on our rig - I can drive with two fingers even with cross wind and truck traffic.

Generally, we only drive about 150 to 200 miles a day - but have done the long hauls as does OP. However, as prior full-timers, we learned that we are already home and enjoy the travel as much as the destination.

OP - please include year make and model of your gear in your profile so it will show when you post - that way, folks can jump in easier with more accurate comments.

And - of course - stay well and on the road!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
It’s a 2012 Phaeton. The shocks were worn out.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #4

Handling Tweaks & Mods - What Have You Done

Our 04 Hurricane was getting a little tail waggy. Looked the rear sway bar over and the bushings were worn/gone. Got a set off eBay, the blue neoprene ones, replaced and lubed. We go down the road rock solid now. A cheap fix, check them out.
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDoggy View Post
Our 04 Hurricane was getting a little tail waggy. Looked the rear sway bar over and the bushings were worn/gone. Got a set off eBay, the blue neoprene ones, replaced and lubed. We go down the road rock solid now. A cheap fix, check them out.
What did you have to search for on eBay to find the right bushings for your RV?? Or did you just find some with the right sized hole in the middle?
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #6

New shocks and a total alignment(4-wheel) made our MH drive as easily as my Silverado pickup.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #7

Our Workhorse gasser rode ok when I got it but had a bit of tail wag from passing trucks. Front and rear trac bars fixed that.

Pavement transitions were still a bit scary though so I added a rear anti-sway bar and Sumo Springs. That fixed everything except that there were still too may steering corrections required, especially in crosswinds, and narrow two-lane roads made me nervous. Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer fixed that-- feels like a (really big) pick-up truck now --and I'm a happy camper.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

For my Coach I have done the following,

8 New air bags
6 New shocks
6 New tires with balance beads
Air Tabs
Safe T Plus with a Super Steer trim kit- ( great addition )

I do not know what had the greatest effect since I did them all at the same time, but I do not get blown around near as much and the ride is much better. Porpoising is also a thing of the past.

I am seriously considering adding air control valves to the air bags since I have heard from others that the improve the ride even more, but with covid and limited travel have not pulled the trigger on those yet.

The ride improvement over when I bought it is night and day.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote