Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hard jerk when the engine brake is on and brake is applied.

We have a 2018 Tiffin 33aa, cummins eng. and eng break(exhaust brake?}

This occured yesterday after driving about 2 hours coming home. I flipped on the
eng. brake and when I applied the foot brake there was a hard jerk in the entire motorhome.

This occured about a year ago and I decided that the brake light current had something to do with this while towing a car behind the rv. Seems then that disconnecting the brake light to the tow solved this problem until yesterday coming home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. FL chassis

Bruce
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did the transmission downshift at that moment?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
This^^ was my first thought as well. How fast were you traveling when you felt the jerk? You could have coincidentally flipped ON the engine brake, applied the foot brakes, just when the coach speed was appropriate for a downshift. Did you notice any increase in rpm at the time of the jerk?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
At the right( wrong in the case of a harsh engagement / shift ) speed , my trans will go down two gears; with the exhaust brake trans downshift program ; then the word HARSH , just barely covers the feeling.
I've learned that at certain speeds , to manually downshift , before the exhaust brake engages to hold the program to a single gear down.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #5

The previous replies completely cover what happened.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #6

I think it did. The jerk was so sudden and unlike normal that I did not think about the shift of the tran.

The chassis battery if not fully charged affects the operation of the back up camera and so I wander if the state of charge of the chassis bat. may have something to do with it.

When we camp, the trips are seldom over 75 miles. Thinking the chassis bat were charged when shore power present I though chassis bat would be charged. Not the case for our coach.

Checking the bat when plug in, I found the chassis bat to be 12.4v and house to be 13.6v. So this may be a factor that could affect the electronics of this system.
thx for any of your thoughts. Oh yes, the speed was around 45mph or less.

thanks for your help.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #7

Have your alternator output checked and chassis batteries load tested , should be 13.2 minimum when running 14.2 with low batteries.
Low volts can affect all electronics.
Run the Allison trans check for codes to see if low volts comes up .

BTW ; at 45 mph with light throttle , my tans would be in 5 th gear , exhaust brake activation would cause a downshift straight to 3rd.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #8

I plan to check the rv out without my tow behind it and see what happens again.

I probably need to read up better on operation of the exh. brake, but may we leave the exh. brake engaged all the time. What do you do? Had a HR Neptune and I engaged the exh brake only when needed-never had this jerk.

After this occurred the first time I slowed down to about 30mph and engaged exh brake then I applied the brake-the jerk occurred again. Needless to say, I left exh brake off the rest of the way home. Jerk seems to occur when exh and foot brake are used at the same time. that is no jerk when exh flipped on but when brake petal is applied

Bruce
Old 10-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRNep View Post
I plan to check the rv out without my tow behind it and see what happens again.

I probably need to read up better on operation of the exh. brake, but may we leave the exh. brake engaged all the time. What do you do? Had a HR Neptune and I engaged the exh brake only when needed-never had this jerk.

After this occurred the first time I slowed down to about 30mph and engaged exh brake then I applied the brake-the jerk occurred again. Needless to say, I left exh brake off the rest of the way home. Jerk seems to occur when exh and foot brake are used at the same time. that is no jerk when exh flipped on but when brake petal is applied

Bruce
Personally, I put the engine brake on before I need it. Maybe as I crest a mountain the engine brake goes on before I pick up any speed. It's asking a lot of the engine brake to actually slow you down in a quick manner and that's not really what they are designed for. Think consistent slow descent with an engine brake.

My guess is the brake line current was totally a coincidence. Have you been running around with no brake lights? That may have its own set of problems.

Good luck - I hope it is just these simple things and not something bigger.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
mine shifts hard into 2nd when decelerating with the engine brake on (vgt exhaust brake for the detail oriented) and standing on the brake while going down a grade, approaching a turn that requires slowing for instance. Sound familiar? Nothing to worry about, but definitely noticeable.

I only use the exhaust brake when descending grades, and when I want to roll on out on a long straight, I turn it off so I can coast without slowing. So in mountain driving, which is very common for me, I’m turning it on and off frequently. I also often take over shifting when I’m not satisfied with the programmed shift strategy. It’s nice to take a break and let it shift in its own, but there are many situations where that is just suboptimal.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #11

I don't leave the exhaust brake on full time , because it will activate on rolling hill where I'd prefer to coast ( even on cruise where activation will shut cruise down) . Some chassis set ups won't engage cruise if exhaust brake is on.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #12

I check the voltage of chassis bat. 12.7v
connected bat charger and I will take a look in the morning.
We use our coach a lot. But for camping on short trips. So in the past 2 yr I think the chassis bat have become anemic. My excuse, I assumed the chassis bat were being charged when on shore power. I know it is not now and will make it a habit to put a charger on the chassis bat as well as the house bat. Hopefully these 2 plus years old bat will come back to life for us.
I'll report back tomorrow
thx
Bruce

Have your alternator output checked and chassis batteries load tested , should be 13.2 minimum when running 14.2 with low batteries.
Low volts can affect all electronics.
Run the Allison trans check for codes to see if low volts comes up .
Old 10-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Some exhaust brakes activate as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, while others are programmed to activate when the brake pedal is pressed. Do you know which method yours is set for? It's a chassis programming option, but usually set to the motorhome makers specification. The exhaust brake on switch merely allows it to activate - it doesn't actually start braking until conditions are met.

I ask because you may be experiencing an immediate downshift as the exhaust brake comes on. At a certain speed or rpm, the brake activation may be harsh.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #14

My exh brake I think begins as soon as the foot is removed from the accelerator petal.

I did find the chassis bat to be low. So I have it charging today to check things out after we get through with ANOTHER hurricane in south Alabama.

thx

Tags
brake, engine