Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hard wire a TPMS monitor

Im looking to hard wire my tpms monitor so that i can hide the wires. has anyone done this. i have a 2006 discovery 39S
istumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

Ran the power cable through the dash & spliced to lines supplying an accessory/lighter socket.

I consciously selected the unkeyed socket, so the circuit is always live. In retrospect, maybe not my best choice as the low pressure alarm has gone off, middle of the night, when cold weather causes tire pressure to drop.
Cincy Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by istumpy View Post
Im looking to hard wire my tpms monitor so that i can hide the wires. has anyone done this. i have a 2006 discovery 39S
Hi there. I did mine this way. I have an EEZ RV system. Took a good, long USB cable (cloth covered, etc) and stripped one end to expose the power and ground wire, routed under the dash, and spliced these into an acc/key-on power wire (I chose tapping into my nav system wire harness for key-on power). I only wanted power going to the system when the ignition key is on. The other end is routed to my driver side window. Presently, I have my TPMS display mounted on the window suction cup mount that came with my system (on the lower driver side-window). I might switch my wiring to pick up key-on power and ground at my auto leveling system just to shorten and tidy that up. But you get the idea...

Here's a picture of mine and USB wiring diagram.

Hope this helps a little..

EdClick image for larger version

Name:	20200921_165652.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	301808
Name:   VZAci.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  17.4 KB
Old 09-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Just like Cincy Steve, I ran the wire through the dash to a cigarette lighter that I installed hidden away under the dash. I secured the TPMS plug into the socket with tape so it would not rattle off. The cord is as hidden as possible around the mount that I glued to the dash. Mine is wired to an ignition on circuit.

I've done the same with my cell phone holder. I like a clean dash and loose wires drive me nuts. It is worth the time and effort to achieve a nice clean and professional look.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had a spare space for a rocker switch on the left side panel. I added a master switch for the electronics that turns on/off the GPS, TPMS, and the dash camera. Only wires showing are right behind the units themselves and disappear into the dash.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0964.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	301813
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #6

Timing is perfect

Just getting ready to do this in my rig. Definitely appreciating all this advice!
Old 09-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #7

I would definitely put it on a switch. Also some devices have a fuse inside the plug that goes in the cig lighter socket. I prefer to make sure I am fused for the device not what the chassis mfg fused the socket if you catch my drift.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My coach has a removable cover on the dash. I made a 12 volt block that has both ignition ON USB/cigarette style lugs and plugs that are hot all the time. I drilled a 3/4" hole on the side of the dash, that can only be seen form outside the driver's window. I ran the wiring for my TPMS, dash cam and Silverleaf laptop through the hole and made all the connections under the dash.

Name:	20181027_152635.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	301824
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased this Wiring Harness that plugs into the Freightliner electric brake module.

In addition to being a brake controller connector (which I don't have) it also has connections for always-on power and ignition controlled power.

I have my TPMS, Garmin GPS and BlueFire app on an iPad connected to the always-hot, and my dash camera to the ignition controlled connection. All of the connections are under the dash with the wires running up the side of the dash and the A pillar for the dash camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2517.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	301830  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by istumpy View Post
has anyone done this.
I did. Similar process as others have described.

There is one possible unintended consequence, though. On mine, keeping the display powered disables the power on/off switch, leaving the display constantly powered ON. What I failed to fully appreciate is that, occasionally, during an overnight, the temperature dropped enough to cause a tire pressure to drop below the low limit, which resulted in the TPMS alarm going off.

It was far enough away from the bedroom that the alarm didn't wake me. My DW's persistent elbow in my ribs did, however, wake me.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #11

Another vote for maybe reconsidering doing this. As some have said, always on gives you no options. Another consideration that hasn't been mentioned, if one of my sensors loses connection to the display unit, for my EezTire system it's a simple unplug and replug of the usb cable which is five inches from the ignition. The six sensors will reconnect within minutes without that annoying beep telling me I've lost a sensor.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #12

I’m in the same camp. With a 60 hour battery life I only have to charge the TPMS every few weeks. Restart is a quick toggle of the on/off switch. The charging cable is plugged into a usb charger in the 110 outlet next to the drivers seat so it’s easy to plug in when needed.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:18 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In our RAM 3500 I wanted to install: TPMS, Rear View Monitor, Dash Camera, GPS, and additional USB outlets for iPad & iPhones. I had exposed cables. The dash winds up looking like a control center with all those displays. The iPad has magnetic dash mounts as do the phones.

I installed a 12 circuit fuse block from Blue Seas under the center console. From there I was able to run hidden wires to everything I wanted. The fuse block is feed by a 40 amp line, proper wire gauge for length of run. That is connected to a relay under the hood. From there it goes to the a 40 amp fuse and the battery. The relay is activated via a piggyback fuse in the front fuse panel that is only hot when the engine is running. So when I turn on the engine all the dash stuff powers up, except iPad and iPhones and no exposed wires for all those devices.

The 12 circuit fuse block provides a dedicated fuse for each device and USB outlets. Thus some are fused at 0.5 or 1.0 amps or larger as warranted. I don't like the idea of splicing-in a USB cable to a 10 or 15 amp fused circuit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #14

A Step Further

I took this idea a step further and provided a switched source of power for all of my “accessories”. I bought a six switch panel that I mounted to the right of the steering column. I used a fuse tap to get power from the fuse panel. Then I wired a cigarette lighter extension cord to each switch. Each cord has it’s own in-line fuse appropriately sized for the device it supplies. I ran the six extension cords up under the center console. My 2015 THOR Palazzo has a lot of room behind this console. Then I cut a hole in the top of the console that will pass the male end of a cigarette lighter power cord that comes with almost all of these types of automotive accessories. This “large” hole is then covered with a dash top utility tray that I made. I then secured each cigarette plug with tape so they will not pull or vibrate loose. I then bundled all this wire together up under the console. I now have a lighted switch for my rear view/side view camera system, a phone charger, the power cord for a CB radio, my TPMS system, my GPS mapping system and my windshield mounted dash camera. No exposed wires and each device can be turned ON/OFF with the flip of a switch.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tpms