Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #57

My Road Glide in the back of my Ranger - this was in 2012. I use a Rampage lift
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	311300  
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #58

Hydra lift

Your 2004 winnebago Vectra is strong enough to carry a:
Hydralift MC lift (https://hydralift-usa.com/) see attached photos.
Designed and built for a 1000 lb bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydralift-folded.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	311321  
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #59

2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.

I converted our gooseneck toy-hauler from another commercial chassis.

I converted my ancient BMW dual-sport motorcycle so I could crane it into the jig I built on the platform over the gooseneck hitch.
I foraged the 12v 2,000#-capacity crane from a retired service truck, then built a stable frame to support it.
The motorcycle is top-loaded, so this system eliminates tipping.

I think attempting to maneuver 400# of unstable metal up or down a ramp is a particularly bad idea.
But I will be 69 in a few weeks, and these days, I tend toward not breaking stuff.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #60

loading a harley

I pulled a 34' enclosed trailer for ease of loading and extra storage. I hauled a 3 wheel Harley and my Cadillac. Nice to arrive in with everything clean and undamaged.
Les Chermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #61

I have a 6' bed and have used the Cruiser Ramp from Cruiserlift.com - Carrier / Hauler / Loader Transportation Systems for the past 5 years. Very reliable and safe when properly installed. With the 6' bed, my Ultra Classic fits with the tailgate down. My buddy has same with a 8' bed and can close the tailgate.
TortollaTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #62
SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGlo52 View Post
Folks, if anyone has done this please let me know if it is easily done and how well you like it. I have 2004 winnebago Vectra That we flat tow a Jeep Wrangler behind it. Problem is that I have a Harley that stays home all the time. I am thinking of selling the Jeep, getting a Ram 1500 and putting the Harley in the bed of the truck. Has anyone done this does it work well, tow well. Kwife insists on crew Cab, 4 door truck. What size of bed do I need. I appreciate all responses. TIA.
Contact Paul Verwys at LoadAll InnerBox Loading Systems Inc. (www.loadall.com). One caveat, however: You will need a wheel chock to keep the steering head from turning and allowing your tie down straps to loosen. Paul will recommend a Condor Pit Stop wheel chock. IMHO the Harley is too heavy and will be difficult to back out of that chock. I would suggest a WheelDock chock instead. www.wheeldock.com.

I have a RAM 2500 8 ft bed and the system works great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ram 2500 with Tuono.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	311341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram 2500 with BMW K1600.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	311342  

SPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem is the bed height of all new pickups even if 2wd. Its some kind of contest to see who can jack their trucks up higher for the macho effect.
I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 2wd with a reasonable bed height, but it wouldn't fit a Harley. Perhaps a standard cab model would.
Roadwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #64

Jayco Owners Club
We did this for years. Looked hokey as hell but who cares! Our old truck was a Silverado 1500 long bed. Our 1100 Yamaha Silverado fit perfect in bed. We used 6’aluminium loading ramp and found a slight grade. Parked the truck low and drove right up into the bed. Hardest part was securing it with ratchet straps as there are no wheel chocks or rings in the floor. Once you compress the forks your good. On one trip we even hooked the boat on the hitch and drove 600 miles to the UP of Michigan. Fished and rode for 2 weeks!
Susie410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by madred View Post
I have a 2005 vectra and when I started full time I started with a pickup and a system that loaded the goldwing and it worked great but I did not like the extra weight that the pickup had and when we stopped for one night and wanted to go to a store I either had to unload the bike or carry it with me. I decided to go with a rear lift that attached to the back of the Vectra. This allowed me to pull a smaller vehicle (chevy hhr) and now a (chevy equinox). There are two lifts that I am aware of, Cruiser lift and a hydraulic system (can't remember it's name). I decided that the Cruiser lift was best because I can repair it with items from Lowes or any hardware store. Have been using this for 15 years and I only replaced the electric winch, it did not break, I just decided that I wanted something a little stronger (I am carrying the one one in case something happens to the new winch).
Just wondering,
What is the length of your Vectra? Our coach, an '05 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, is almost a sister ship to yours. In fact, the Vectra and the Horizon are the same rig, with minor differences. I hauled our '08 Level II GL 1800 on a Hyrdralift on the back of our Horizon for over 2 years and 8,000 miles. I had ZERO issues in doing things that way. Contrary to popular belief, the coach ran straight as an arrow. No wandering, no porpoisingl, no odd tire wear, nothing. The coach ran at the same EXACT height without that lift and bike on there, as it did with it.

The only reason I switched to hauling the Wing on a Rampage in the back of our truck was because, I was overloading the tires on the coach. Not a heck of a lot I could do about that so, we changed. The truck handled the weight of the Wing just fine too. The payload of our '11 GMC Sierra is 1500 lbs and, the Rampage lift and the Wing, was close to 1,250-1,350 lbs. or so. There were, and most likely will still be, times when we don't unload the Wing for a night after disconnecting and, just drove the truck around with the Wing in the back. We'd go off to dinner, some light shopping etc.

I mean, yeah, no road racing with that 1,300 lbs in the back of the truck for sure but, it's not all that bad. But, everyone's got to do what they feel is right for them. WE sure liked that Hydralift though. Without a doubt, it by far, is the top of the line for lift/carriers. Not one single issue ever happened with it in the time we owned and operated it.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	311366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	311367  

Name:	lift three.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	311368  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior7 View Post
The problem is the bed height of all new pickups even if 2wd. Its some kind of contest to see who can jack their trucks up higher for the macho effect.
I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 2wd with a reasonable bed height, but it wouldn't fit a Harley. Perhaps a standard cab model would.
Well.
As you can see in the pics, our truck, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 is not very high at all. It's 9 years old and still rides at the same height as it was when we bought it years ago. The Rampage lift doesn't care anyways on how high a bed is. It still loads a full dress motorcycle without hesitation.

I've since sold/traded in the Wing and can, and do haul the new bike, an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT on that same Rampage if needed. The Rampage doesn't live in the back of the truck. Its home is on a cart I made for it. I simply roll the cart up to the back of the truck, roll the Rampage into the truck bed and bolt things down. DONE. When we're back home from a trip, whatever bike I'm carrying, is off loaded in about 5 minutes, and the cart is rolled up to the bed and, the Rampage is rolled right onto its cart and parked off to the side. The truck is now a truck again.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	311372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	311373  

Old 12-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well.
As you can see in the pics, our truck, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 is not very high at all. It's 9 years old and still rides at the same height as it was when we bought it years ago. The Rampage lift doesn't care anyways on how high a bed is. It still loads a full dress motorcycle without hesitation.

I've since sold/traded in the Wing and can, and do haul the new bike, an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT on that same Rampage if needed. The Rampage doesn't live in the back of the truck. Its home is on a cart I made for it. I simply roll the cart up to the back of the truck, roll the Rampage into the truck bed and bolt things down. DONE. When we're back home from a trip, whatever bike I'm carrying, is off loaded in about 5 minutes, and the cart is rolled up to the bed and, the Rampage is rolled right onto its cart and parked off to the side. The truck is now a truck again.
Scott
Love it. Thanks for sharing it all. I am planning something similar in a few years!
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well.

Scott
How do you like the Africa Twin? I am ready to trade my BMW K1200GT in on one.
Jeffsammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsammons View Post
How do you like the Africa Twin? I am ready to trade my BMW K1200GT in on one.
Hey Jeffsammons,
Well, after being a Goldwing rider for well over 30 years, I gotta tell ya, the A/T is like a go kart compared to that bike. I elected to go the *DCT* or, Dual Clutch Transmission version. You may be aware of it but, to others, it's a totally AUTOMATIC motorcycle. YEP, NO CLUTCH! You start it, with your right thumb, push the *D* button and give it throttle, DONE!

The regular D mode is Honda's economy mode. On flat ground, with mild throttle, it will shift through all 6 gears in around 150'-200' or so. It actually feels like you're bogging the bike. But, Honda designed it to be like that so, must be ok.

But, if you push on that D button twice, you put the tranny in the *S* mode. That is the SPORT mode. It holds each gear longer for more spirited riding and shifting. Some purists, absolutely need a shifter and a clutch. They can't operate without doing something with their left foot and hand. After as stated, well over 30 years on a Wing and countless other motorcycles for another 20 years, it took me a whopping two city blocks on a test ride on a DCT to determine, I'LL NEVER GO BACK TO SHIFTING, IN MY LIFE!

In case you're not all that familiar with the model, there are two different models of the Africa Twin. The first is the base model Africa Twin. It comes in either a manual version or, the DCT version. The second model is, the Africa Twin Adventure Sports. It also comes in manual or a DCT. The A/S model is equipped with a larger fuel tank, longer travel suspension, spoked but, TUBLESS RIMS, and a few other odds and ends.

The 2020 models are equipped with factory cruise control and, self canceling turn signals. Whereas, the previous years, like my '18, had no cruise control or self canceling turn signals. The earlier European versions, '19 and below, DO have self canceling turn signals but, the U.S.A. versions didn't. No one on the planet can explain why.

As for how does it ride? I love it to death. The technical name for mine is the CRF1000L2D or, Africa Twin, Adventure Sports, DCT. It's a 270 degree, parallel twin cylinder that is dang near as smooth as any of my Goldwings. The exhaust note is there but, not anywhere near over powering. I'm used to dead quietness of a Wing. And this note on this Twin, is just right. Although it's sporting 6.3 gallons of fuel up high, it's not all that top heavy to me.

Great brakes, OUTSTANDING POWER, cornering and handling is perfect for my type of riding and abilities. Oh, it has *Paddle shifters* just in case you feel the need to manually shift it. And when those paddle shifters are used, those shifts are lightening fast. A good buddy of mine who'd been riding Harleys for most his life, took my A/T A/S DCT for a ride and, it took him about 5 blocks to make a decision to SELL his Harley and procure, a 2020 A/T DCT. I could go on and on about it. I like it a ton. P.M. me if you'd like more info.

Sorry OP for getting a tad off track here.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2520.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	311608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	311609  

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	311610   Click image for larger version

Name:	leaving for trip.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	311611  

Old 12-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have noted a rampage lift is the way to go.

After a few years of not having the harley along I got the okay to get a truck and the rampage. I got a 2010 Ford ranger added supersprings, air shocks and a helwig sway bar. Last trip I had all weighed at a truck stop and the truck with bike weighed 4460lb. The part of the Rampage lift that extends over the tailgate ISN'T supporting the weight of the bike, the lifts main section that bolts to the bed carries the weight.

I have one of the harbor freight motorcycle repair lifts in the garage. The Rampage lift is stored on that when not in use. With a piece of wood on top of that it makes a good work table against the wall. I roll the harbor freight stand with rampage on up to the bed of the truck and push it on.

Sometimes i take the FXR as it is easier to move around but the Ultra is my go to bike.

Truck with bike tows like a dream. My last trip to Maggie Valley NC and hitting some short yet steep climbs still drove awesome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	311620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	541.4 KB
ID:	311621  

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg