Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Hey bbb-
Depending on when and where you plan to take your driving test I may be able to help. Will PM you. If you've driven a larger diesel pusher before or towed a large fifth wheel you'll be probably be fine. If not, I'd probably suggest taking a boot camp lesson from one of the services. I think some have been mentioned, but these guys have someone in San Diego. https://www.rvbasictraining.com/abou...locations.html
JDek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #44

Passed

Took my driving test today. Passed.

I'm glad I had read this and a couple of other threads....my blood pressure probably would have been a lot higher otherwise.

I experienced many of the things mentioned here, general confusion among the staff. From having difficulty of finding the correct test to take to having to repeatedly stress "Non Commercial " class B.

In the end everyone I dealt with was pleasant and professional, they just don't do these very often (which tells me probably a lot of folks driving w/o correct license) so it takes them longer. The clerk who helped me on the written test said it had been a couple of years since she had done one, it took her awhile to find the correct notebook that gave instructions on what to do. My driving examiner said it had been around four years.

I realized as long as I had patience things would work out fine...they did.

As far as taking a licensed driver with you; well my neighbor has a trucking company, I waved at him as I drove to the DMV. My examiner saw me drive up myself but there was no question as to having a correctly licensed driver with me.

Pre trip was fairly thorough but there is just a lot less to cover on the Non Commercial vs. the commercial class B.

Skills test consisted of parallel parking, offset backing, straight driving forward and reverse but no 90 degree backing into a spot ( the only one I had actually practiced a little). Pretty straightforward stuff.

Driving portion was maybe 30 minutes driving through Modesto. Only problem when she asked me what the clearance was on the bridge we just passed on the freeway was. $@;!. I usually check these...not this one.

All in all, took way too much effort to register my MH and get properly licensed, especially when I'm going to be a resident of TX or SD soon but I am glad I did it anyhow.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #45

Hey Don..I was told Non Com B for over 40Ft and over 26K GVWR. But what about 2014 Phaeton DP 36gh..36ft in lenght and 32,320 GVWR??? DMV can't explain!
McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #46

I think we are ALL Confused here now in CA. We want to buy a 2014 Phaeton 36gh Dp. GVWR is 32,320. Here is what DMV states: 2017 DMV Regulations: States and Situations That Require Special Licenses
California (Need Class B Non-Commercial License if driving a vehicle weighing over 26K lb) yet the handbook states Class B Non Comm ONLY if MH is over 40ft????
McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CA rules separate "Housecars" from towable RV's.

A Class C licensed driver may operate ANY Housecar "40 FEET AND LESS" in length (GVWR does not apply).

ALL Towables must comply with GVWR rules:

See: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
CA rules separate "Housecars" from towable RV's.

A Class C licensed driver may operate ANY Housecar "40 FEET AND LESS" in length (GVWR does not apply).

ALL Towables must comply with GVWR ratings:

See: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart

Sare travels

That's correct, under 40 ft you won't get hassled. CHP won't stop you, house car or RV.
DOT over 26k requires you to post on vehicle, RV or house car does not require, even over 40 ft.
CA is confused, I have applied for NC B license and have my permit, but there only two offices near my area that even give the physical test, I just extended my permit with DMV today, the next avail date, Aug.
If you ask two different techs at DMV, you get different answers.
My daughter works for DMV, do she hit me the somewhat straight skinny, DOT information.
The Pittsburgh DMV office will conduct air brake test if your coach is so equipped.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #49

Under 40' you're good with regular class C license.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #50

Have any California owners of a DP that's shorter than 40' but has a GVCR over 26,000 lbs. had a problem with not getting the class B license ?
mr buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #51

There shouldn't ever be a problem. In Cali a motorhome non-CDL is only concerned with length and not weight. The 26,000 pounds has nothing to do with the equation. Weight only figures in when you're towing a trailer: over 15,000 pound 5th wheel or over 10,000 pound bumper pull and you need a non-CDL Class A.

The only issues with over-zealous CHP officers involves owners of triple axle toy haulers that require a Class A non-CDL as they're over the 15,000 pound mark. I've heard stories of drivers being pulled over to check their driver's license for the correct endorsement, which, BTW, is un-Constitutional. We're taught early-on in the police academy that you can't pull someone over just to check their license status. But that's another story.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr buster View Post
Have any California owners of a DP that's shorter than 40' but has a GVCR over 26,000 lbs. had a problem with not getting the class B license ?

It's over 40 ft, and over 26k but in reality the weight doesn't matter it's length in many states.
I had taken the test for non commercial B. DMV folks are confused between employees and location. One gave me the air brake test the other office actually gave me the commercial B test.
Long story short, after drive test, non commercial B done.
You don't get asked about license or length of coach.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #53

There is a good bit of confusion about Class B Non Commercial. I got my learners by passing the written tests given by the local DMV. The book said one thing, the official said another. I studied it all and passed. The driving part is up to the individual examiner. I managed to pass that too. over 6 weeks later, still waiting for my permanent license.
I say be ready to study and pass for a full blown CDL. It was imperative that I arrive (for the driven test) at the DMV with a Class B licensed driver or higher.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Luckily here on WA we only need our standard drivers license. My son has a Class A so I could borrow him if they change the requirements.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #55

IL. goes by weight. Over 16,000 you need either a class C or B. I elected to go with a B because I'll be pulling a trailer with a car on it. Rules of the road book is a little confusing though, ya have to read it carefully. It states you do NOT have to have a CDL for a motor coach, so some people argue that no special license is required. If you read further, 16,000 is the break point where a different class license IS needed. I just retested yesterday.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr buster View Post
The CA non-commercial Class B still requires a "skills test."
If the vehicle presented for the test is not a Class B required vehicle (over 40' in length), the DMV "should" check the length and decline performing the test...until the correct vehicle is presented.
See:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...648/dl648pt4_1

This requirement has caused some issues when a learner's permitted driver arrives alone for the test. The workaround is to say you and the RV were dropped off there (driver with proper license, left )

Safe Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test, california