Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #1

Has toilet paper been discussed this week?

As I ease into full-timing it, I understand I need to make adjustments in some of my basic supplies. One is the bathroom paper. I understand that my coach's delicate innards prefer special RV toilet paper, and I'm not going to argue that. But I don't know where to get it how to identify it. Do Wal-mart/safeway type stores carry a line of RV paper products, or do I need to go to a marine or RV supply house? How do I tell that I've got the right stuff?

rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

RV TP is special in couple of ways
1) IT COSTS MORE
2) Can't even wipe your finger clean AFTER using

Forget about it!
Use what ever TP you have been using.
Nothing special required.

I use 2 ply SOFT-Thick-FLuffy TP and a big ole wad.
Haven;t plugged up the toilet, waste tank or sewer hose in over 50 yrs of camping/rvng (7 yrs FTng)

Water...is the key
Fill toilet bowl FULL before flushing #2
Fill black tank dang near FULL before dumping
(WHOOSH Affect--------fast moving river WILL move boulders/slow trickling stream can budge a pebble)

After dumping ...couple full toilet bowls flushed back into tank....couple full sinks drained into grey.
Keeps tank bottoms wet, anything left WET and can slosh around while you drive

RV is SAME as S&B ...just on wheels

Don't make RVng complicated......relax/enjoy and go see the sights.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

Has toilet paper been discussed this week?

We don’t full time, but have been RV’ing for 20+ years and have always used ‘Septic Safe’ TP. Have never had any issues. I just make sure that after dumping the black tank I put several gallons of fresh water back in so the tank bottom is always covered.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with both the above but there is a TP test!!! Just take 2 squares of the paper put them in a glass half fill ed with water; put your hand over the top and shake. If the paper breaks up it's good.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #5

No problems here with Septic Safe products last five years, 4 months out of the year.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #6

A recent discussion:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/toile...ue-452246.html

Probably one of the most discussed subjects on this forum. Pick an answer you like and go with it.
Lynn
Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
As I ease into full-timing it, I understand I need to make adjustments in some of my basic supplies. One is the bathroom paper. I understand that my coach's delicate innards prefer special RV toilet paper, and I'm not going to argue that. But I don't know where to get it how to identify it. Do Wal-mart/safeway type stores carry a line of RV paper products, or do I need to go to a marine or RV supply house? How do I tell that I've got the right stuff?

Shoot the coach's innards are as simple and non complicated as you can get.

We use Mr Whipple's "Don't squeeze the Charmin" here.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #8

Have used the worlds number one TP from Costco for years without any problem on our old Dutchstar without a Macerator and now the LTV Unity with a Macerator. Suit yer self.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments and for bearing with me on topics that for you are . I've got my hands full researching other things I need to know immediately -- like the value of roadside assistance, slide activation sequences and the wisdom of replacing just some tires with the good stuff v all of them with the budget brand. . . . The threads are so darn entertaining I have to read them all. And with the immense amount of reading some of these topics entail, I have to "delegate" some of my questions to get them answered before Tuesday.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #10

I agree 100% with Old-Biscuit . Forty five years and fifteen different RVs I just buy the same stuff (Charmin, Northern ect. ) that I buy in the 36 roll pacs at Sams Club. I don't save it either. It goes down the toilet. I've never had a problem. Don't bother to over think this, just flush it
Rob Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

A word of caution as to macerator toilets which are present in most of the newer class A's
they will not tolerate very well the heavier paper and the drain line from many of them is 1.5 inches so beware. Many of them also go to the grey tank instead of the black.

Most of the coaches including mine have a regular large diameter drain under the 1/2 bath which goes to the black tank. So be careful if you have a newer rig and know how the plumbing is designed.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #12

Next to oil, tire pressure, TP is one of the most asked topics on this or any RV forum. Rule one is that TP and stuff that comes out of mammals are the only things to go in black tank. Rule 2 is use plenty of water per flush. Any questions? Go back to Rule 1.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #13

We have the SeaLand Vacuflush toilet. We do use Scott's RV Toilet Paper purchased at Walmart. It is back near sporting and automotive in the small RV section.

The Sealand uses vacuum, through smaller tubes and duckbill valves, to move the waste to a remote black tank. Therefore we are cautious when it comes to TP.

They have both 4 and 8 roll packages.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #14

I ask my DW to buy 1000 sheet rolls of TP - they are single sheet and dissolve easily but you do use more. The key is to not add to the "pyramid", lots of water and less thick paper. If you have macerator toilets, you can go back to sleep.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet