Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

Have you replaced your Class A windshield, multiple times??

Afraid I'm stuck in the middle, between Thor (Serrano) & Geico, on what is now about to be the 4th replacement of my windshield glass. On a 2012 rig. Geico claims it's a "Manufacturer defect" as the cause. Thor says "not possible".

It wasn't until the 3rd install, that I thought to consider the cause to be a stress crack. So I ran a pin across the entire crack to check. Not caused by a strike, whatsoever.

Confirmed as indeed a stress crack, by the glass jobber who did the last (3rd) replacement. Stating that the ceiling & dash padding protrudes into the area the glass must sit. Causing the glass to pop out enough to allow a stress crack to occur.

Thor though, responded to me with a rather compelling argument, PDF's included, that the glass wasn't installed properly by this glass jobber. Thus being the reason the glass install failed, allowing the cracking to occur.

With neither Geico or Thor willing to assume responsibility to fix this last (3rd) replacements failure, that currently has the glass ready to drop to the ground, I reached out to another glass company. Their assessment was that the glass jobber used the wrong glue, which means Thor is off the hook. But maybe not!

This new glass company, after offering me this assessment of "fault", then got back to me with an indication that their research had them discovering that this kind of cracking, is common to Thor's very large, curved piece of glass. Stating that they will replace the glass by installing another (4th) new one, using the correct glue & conforming to Thor's recommendations on how to replace. But, because of the possibility that the cracking might occur again, based on their research, this new glass company won't guarantee their work.

How might you help?

Have you too had multiple windshield replacements? With a Thor product, specifically on their Serrano? Obviously my primary goal is to get the glass from falling out. More important to me though, is that I not have to keep up replacing this glass, at $1,000 each time (Deductible).

Thanks so much for your considerations!
Bosko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

One other thing I might worry about is being dropped by GEICO due to excessive claims. If that happens, searching for a new insurance company could be problematic/expensive.

Is an install at the Thor factory a possibility? If it cracks after that they can't say it wasn't installed properly.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
One other thing I might worry about is being dropped by GEICO due to excessive claims. If that happens, searching for a new insurance company could be problematic/expensive.

Is an install at the Thor factory a possibility? If it cracks after that they can't say it wasn't installed properly.
2017 Sportscoach 360 dL and had windshield replaced at 3k. Repair shop convinced Forest River it was stress crack. Forest River covered it under warranty. So far pleased with Coachmen/Forest River on minor repairs. At 10k miles now and so far all good.
Still pleased with your 2014? Javlich
Ricbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post

Can't Thor then just claim it was broken due to a Road Hazard. Not covered by warranty then.

And it really could be a road hazard, or a coach malfunction (such as air leveling system failure causing excess frame twist. Which is how my windshield cracked.

I'm not sure what state OP lives in - but in FL if you have comprehensive insurance coverage, there is "no deductible" on a windshield replacement. May want to check your state to be sure this isn't the same where you live (or claim FL as your resident state if your a full timer.)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

WOW! They have you in a tough spot! Sure hope you can get it resolved soon.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not saying this applies to you, but my DW uncle cracked two windshields on his MH by letting the MH down off the jacks too quickly.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, class a, replace, windshield