Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #43

Dandy Don

Your reply was what i was looking for here. Some generaic suggestions as to what would make the coach fit the descp of a home

Not a boozer here but just want to stay one step ahead

Anyone else have any particulars of the elements needed to present the coach as a home?
cyqk is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
While most of us would agree, not every jurisdiction considers and rv a home, even if the inhabitants are full time. I know this from personal experience, not myself but a friend who was living in his motorhome. However, whether you can have a beer in your RV after you're parked for the day is a solution looking for a problem. 99.99% of the time no one is going to notice or care.
Don't know if quoting yourself is bad form or not but here's a more detailed explanation.
My buddy is a bird hunter as am I. The law in the state in question states that birds must have a fully feathered wing attached for identification while birds are "in transport". My friend had fully dressed birds in his RV freezer. He was informed by game wardens that "for legal purposes, this state does not consider an RV a home." Dumbest thing I've heard in a very long time, but I was there and heard the exchange myself. My friend was not cited so never had need for a court challenge.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqk View Post
Anyone else have any particulars of the elements needed to present the coach as a home?
Seems you don't need to worry about how you "present" it. Won't it depend on the law of the state you are in at the time.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Don't know if quoting yourself is bad form or not but here's a more detailed explanation.
My buddy is a bird hunter as am I. The law in the state in question states that birds must have a fully feathered wing attached for identification while birds are "in transport". My friend had fully dressed birds in his RV freezer. He was informed by game wardens that "for legal purposes, this state does not consider an RV a home." Dumbest thing I've heard in a very long time, but I was there and heard the exchange myself. My friend was not cited so never had need for a court challenge.
Not too long ago I believe Alaska had the same problem with boats.

I guess it had to do with more than the daily legal limit of salmon stored in freezers of vessels that were out for longer cruises than just daily fishing.

Don't know how it all panned out but again the law and the law abiding citizen clashed over what made sense.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:14 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

They probably didn't make an issue of it since they are on very shaky ground as long as the RV is parked, but they could have waited until he pulled out the next day (or whenever) and probably be in a strong legal position. The RV changes from a home to a vehicle in a moment.

The definition of a home and when you are in it has been adjudicated many times and higher courts near always decide in favor of your "castle rights" to do as you please within your home, temporary or otherwise. Even in a hotel room. The exception is when the state is deemed to have some other overriding responsibility to enforce. Wining a court battle years later isn't much consolation if a gung-ho enforcer ruins your day, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:39 PM   #48
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes2 View Post
So, funny story. My brother in law borrowed my then-new motor home and spent two weeks on the bourbon trail in KY with a couple of buddies who joined him. Alas, they got to the Buffalo Trace distillery after it closed for the day. Well, being adaptable, they decided to overnight in the parking lot. Broke out the grill, made some steaks, and settled in with some good bourbon and cigars. As they were enjoying the warm night air a local police officer rolled in to question their being there and drinking on the property. All three of them pulled out their Secret Service badges and said, "We're just here to protect the property tonight, officer." The officer just smiled and went on his way.
I love it!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Why do you feel you need a drink at the end of a driving day?
Medicinal.
Why did Queen Elizabeth always have a scotch before going to bed?
Alcohol taken in moderation is quite healthy. It’s relaxing, reduces stress, has positive affects on cholesterol and Blood Pressure, burns fat. Should not be taken with contra-indicating medications. Talk to your physician.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:06 PM   #50

I always enjoyed sitting out at the end of a drive and having a beer. Then my allergies kicked in. Now not only am I allergic to just about everything outside, I did an allergy test and found out I’m allergic to malt! So no more beer for me. Now I’ve moved onto adult drinks and have 1 or 2 (depending on when I pull in) whiskey gingers at the end of the day. The open whiskey is in the fridge in the basement compartment.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:40 AM   #51

Gary RV roamer

Seems the more i watch whats happening from governments in north america the last decade the less i believe that you home is your castle!!

Keep the suggestions coming....greatly appreciated
cyqk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:07 AM   #52

Having a beer at the end of the day...

I assume the OP is talking about stopping for an overnight while traveling.
Just don’t answer the door with an open container in sight (or anything else that may be deemed illegal in certain states) in sight, and don’t walk around outside with an alcoholic drink in your hand unless it is disguised.

If a LEO asks if he can come inside your camper the answer is no. They cannot come inside your camper without probable cause. (see or smell something)

These are things to think about when you are traveling whether it be liquor or weapons or other things that legalities, and the way you can carry them, may vary from state to state. Without probable cause, No one can come in your motorhome without a warrant. For any questions about whether you have this or that the answer is always no.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:40 PM   #53

When at a truck stop, rest area, etc it may not be wise to imbibe, as you must be in condition to drive, if so asked/directed to. There have been a couple times, after a long day of difficult traffic, that I have needed a muscle relaxer (Dr. prescribed, heavy duty). I could only take them if the wife did not, so she could respond to a need to move.

When camping, then enjoy!
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #54

Quote:
And the Name of that State?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Montana
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqk View Post
So your on a road trip in your coach and at the end of the day when you drop the anchor wether its at a truck stop, park,campground and alcahol is in order what rules do the police inforce??
What do you do so that no charges can come your way??

Thks
Merry Christmas
Download the app "State Lines". It has alcohol and dring laws for each state and other legal information.
Don Hediger is offline   Reply With Quote