Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Why do you feel you need a drink at the end of a driving day?

May not "need" a drink, may just enjoy one.
ChaplainEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #58

Just put it in a cup, don’t display your brand!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #59

For me, having a safe day of travel and arriving at our destination as planned is worth a celebritorial event. For me, it's a good cold beer. I enjoy the moment!......I think, enjoy life moments however you seem right for you! CELEBRATE! Dance, sing!
land wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:49 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I admire you for your responsibility.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:52 PM   #61
US1

I'm also a member of a beer forum. They were all talking about RV'ing today. lol
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #62

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LOL... There's beer drinking forums ?
Old 12-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #63

I checked with the DOT here in Iowa. And was told even rolling down the road open containers were ok but not in the driving area.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:33 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Mlodgeo1

[QUOTE=Vato;6376924]As far as LEO is concerned
We have been traveling in every state for more years than I’d share and never encountered an issue. Like others have replied, be responsible and respectful of property and surroundings and the campgrounds aren’t looking to hassle their guests.

I would hope any cop with a sliver of common sense would acknowledge

"no driving, no problem"...

unless your particular location has an ordinance...

When my jacks go down it's time for the celebratory cold one![/QUOTE
mlodge82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:21 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes2 View Post
So, funny story. My brother in law borrowed my then-new motor home and spent two weeks on the bourbon trail in KY with a couple of buddies who joined him. Alas, they got to the Buffalo Trace distillery after it closed for the day. Well, being adaptable, they decided to overnight in the parking lot. Broke out the grill, made some steaks, and settled in with some good bourbon and cigars. As they were enjoying the warm night air a local police officer rolled in to question their being there and drinking on the property. All three of them pulled out their Secret Service badges and said, "We're just here to protect the property tonight, officer." The officer just smiled and went on his way.
Some KY counties are dry, even though they have distilleries operating in the county. It's legal to make it but not drink it in that county.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #66

As long as you are in your RV, you should be safe. That's what I have been told by many LEOs.
dannonebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:49 PM   #67

In Arkansas, a "dry county" is one where it can't be sold. You can go to another county (wet) and carry all you want home to consume.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #68

Let's change a small fact with the original question.

I parked for the night in what looked like a former Kmart in the greater Atlanta metro. The facility was currently in use as an outpatient rehab facility.

It was about 7 PM; I grabbed some fast food at one of the many restaurants around the parking lot. About 30 minutes after parking, there was a knock at the door....local law enforcement told me I could not park there. Fortunately, I had not yet poured an adult beverage. I am single and travel alone, so what if I had been drinking when the police showed up? I would have been legally unable to move the coach had I been drinking.

This has been in the back of my mind since then but have not seen anything on the topic in any forum.

Thoughts?

The two police officers were polite and respectful, yet made it clear I needed to leave.
rlc1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:04 PM   #69

This is a silly question IMO. If you are parked and set up, no cop is going to arrest you for a DUI if you're just sitting there. That would be the same as drinking in your house, but getting arrested because you have access to the cars keys to the car in your garage
ViperHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:09 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Ive asked myself this question several times, and my working “answer” has been:
1) campground, jacks down and set up for the night (or while setting up [emoji4]) - no problem
2) public space like a rest area, truck stop, walmart, flying j rv parking spot, etc - no way … too much possibility of a leo knocking on the door
3) campground with posted signs - yes … signs are likely there to enforce in case of nuisance factor … just dont be that nuisance.
4) campground exception: a few native american run campgrounds are posted “no alcohol consumption inside or outside of rig”. Some may take exception to this … but knowing how some of the nations and bands have struggled with destructive alcoholism, out of respect to them i will abstain.

Yes driving can be nerve jangling, especially long days with tough traffic or high wind or rough roads. But tne price to pay and the repercussions of a dui are just too high to risk. If i cant select a situation and just say “no” to myself, then i figure that is a problem in itself.
I agree, great post