Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I was thinking about this article and no one talked about the most important fact that the two halves of the drive shaft are matched at the point of manufacture and balanced. BEFORE the tow operator removes the drive shaft get some spray paint, crayon or what ever to mark the relationship of the two halves of the shaft. This way you will not have to guess if they are correct.

If they end up 180' out you could experience vibration. this was a recommendation from the drive shaft manufacturers tech support team.
That has been on my "to do" list for some time and I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder, I am going to add it to my fall winterization checklist since I need to crawl under there to grease the U-joints anyhow.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #30

I have had my 2010 Four Winds hurricane towed 5 times since I purchased it new in 2010. Every time the drive shaft has been removed and was re-installed by the mechanic that worked on the unit.
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #31

ladagobago. I was just going to post the same thing that you posted. Heard about what you posted many many years ago. Only time I have been towed the drive shaft was disconnected and reconnected by the tow truck driver. I looked under while he was reconnecting the shaft and saw that he was not connecting it back to line up with the paint marks that I had put on before it was disconnected so I had him line the marks and after 75,000 miles no problem.
AtriumRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtriumRV View Post
ladagobago. I was just going to post the same thing that you posted. Heard about what you posted many many years ago. Only time I have been towed the drive shaft was disconnected and reconnected by the tow truck driver. I looked under while he was reconnecting the shaft and saw that he was not connecting it back to line up with the paint marks that I had put on before it was disconnected so I had him line the marks and after 75,000 miles no problem.
Thanks for the response. I don't know everything there is to know about my MH but I do absolutely research every thing I Offer on these threads. Often folks type what the think they know rather than fully investigating the facts. Some other here are like an encyclopedia of wonderful knowledge and I applaud them.

I see no need to enter a conversation with "I don't know anything about it but good luck" just to get their posting number higher.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #33

Got to pay attention
Tow truck said as long as it is towed like 12 miles at 35mph it's ok.
Not sure I agree but he had to call to get approval
Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #34

Having Class A Towed Question

Chevelle, even short tows can cause bushing and bearing damage if there is no lubrication which is what happens if you tow without pulling the driveshaft. That tow driver just didn't want to crawl under and remove the driveshaft. Removing both the axles also work because these truck rear axles all have full floating axles and the differential won't be turning.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #35

We question it
Insurance denied request to pull shaft
So now they said they will stand behind any damage for next 500 miles.
This was sellers insurance. When we bought the coach.
Needless to say we did not buy that company Insurance.
Now we wait n see
Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #36

Personally I would have paid the difference but that's because I have been a master technician all my adult life and am very familiar with what happens. More than likely you will be ok.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #37

1.5 - 2 miles at 35 we followed
Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #38

Then you should be fine
Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #39

On Big trucks which is usually the same as a DP the tow truck operator will pull an Axel shaft to tow. it is easier and quicker.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
On Big trucks which is usually the same as a DP the tow truck operator will pull an Axel shaft to tow. it is easier and quicker.

He should be pulling both axles
Old 09-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
How do you keep the oil in the differential and hub when the axle is pulled?

Unless Tow truck guy has some sort of plate/cover to install over the axle shaft opening on the hub, the oil is going to start running out.

What am I missing here?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #42

Sure, some of the oil runs out of the hubs and messes up the wheels, unless you have small buckets to catch it.

They make covers for long distance towing and the hub is deep enough to hold some oil for the bearings. Sometimes we would stuff rags in the axle tube to keep dirt out.

The differential level is just below the axle tubes and it's not turning so no oil is thrown out to the axle tubes.

We never went more then 25 or so miles dragging them back to the shop and after fixing them, we would just top off the diff level.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tow