Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Towing & Drive shaft

We had to have our Diesel Pusher towed last year in Dallas, TX.
Was not as bad of an experience as I had feared.
Tow truck rep was very experienced at towing big rigs, and would not tow without removing drive shaft. He also advised that he wasn't qualified to re-install, but only remove and leave re-install to the pros - and he wanted us to know before he removed and started towing.

Towing went off without a hitch but scary to watch the whole thing lift off the ground by the front.

Tow truck had a cover plate to go over the hole where the shaft came out (not sure what to call that) and control excess oil leakage. Tow distance was maybe 18 miles.

Repair facility was very fair in my estimation: $18.00 to re-install drive shaft, plus parts & labor for 'actual' repairs.

Zero problems since and satisfied with the experience.
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
We had to have our Diesel Pusher towed last year in Dallas, TX.
Where did you get towed to?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageishecker View Post
My previous DP was towed once. The tow truck driver pulled an axle instead of disconnecting the driveshaft. He said it was just as good. I've read since then that was a no no but don't know why. Since I no longer own that coach I don't know if there was any long term issue.
Removing the axle from one side is actually the preferred method but removing the driveshaft is easier and doesn't require a cover plate to be installed to keep the oil in the axle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Tow & Repair

Hi -
We were towed to J & R Truck Repair @ 3151 Halifax.
Would return again.
Can't remember name of tow service (I could go dig up receipts), we called J & R after we broke down and they sent the tow service gentleman.
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Removing the axle from one side is actually the preferred method but removing the driveshaft is easier and doesn't require a cover plate to be installed to keep the oil in the axle.
And less mess.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #48

Someone mentioned letting the tow insurance lead the way. Obviously they haven't read the countless tow stories where the tow rig arrives and they try to make it work with the wrong set up...or heaven forbid tow with the drive connected.

I'm a firm believer in knowing the drill ahead of time to make sure the people involved don't damage my vehicle.

I also read a horrific account where the poor soul disconnecting the drive train got his skull crushed. I wasn't there and I'm still traumatized.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Removing the axle from one side is actually the preferred method.
Removing ONE axle is not OK.

From this site.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tow4...s-t108868.html

OK...here is the whole truth and nothing but........ANYTIME you have axle shafts still installed in a differential, parts inside are spinning......some that are meant too, and some that are not.* Let me try to explain.

Each differential has an axle carrier assy in the middle that the axle shafts slide into. Inside the carrier are 2 side gears and 2 pinion gears. If you pull only 1 axle shaft, the remaining shaft is still spinning the side & pinion gears at twice the RPM's of the tire RPM's. The only way to ensure that nothing will be damaged is to pull both axle shafts on each differential. There is no oil supply to these gears when the whole carrier assembly is not spinning.*
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Someone mentioned letting the tow insurance lead the way. Obviously they haven't read the countless tow stories where the tow rig arrives and they try to make it work with the wrong set up...or heaven forbid tow with the drive connected.

I'm a firm believer in knowing the drill ahead of time to make sure the people involved don't damage my vehicle.

I also read a horrific account where the poor soul disconnecting the drive train got his skull crushed. I wasn't there and I'm still traumatized.
+1
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Removing ONE axle is not OK.

From this site.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tow4...s-t108868.html

OK...here is the whole truth and nothing but........ANYTIME you have axle shafts still installed in a differential, parts inside are spinning......some that are meant too, and some that are not.* Let me try to explain.

Each differential has an axle carrier assy in the middle that the axle shafts slide into. Inside the carrier are 2 side gears and 2 pinion gears. If you pull only 1 axle shaft, the remaining shaft is still spinning the side & pinion gears at twice the RPM's of the tire RPM's. The only way to ensure that nothing will be damaged is to pull both axle shafts on each differential. There is no oil supply to these gears when the whole carrier assembly is not spinning.*

Correct. From the Dana service manual:

"WARNING

Do not lift the front wheels (non-drive wheels). This alters
the oil’s position in the drive axle, draining it away from the
drive pinion and its bearings. If the pinion is rotated under
these conditions for any period of time, bearings will overheat
resulting in axle damage or failure.

This is impossible to lift the drive wheels, remove all axle
shafts to prevent gear rotation and cap the wheel hubs to prevent
loss of lubricant and a possible road hazard. See the following
section Proper Vehicle Towing with Wheel Differential
Lock for removal procedure."
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Correct. From the Dana service manual:

[I]
"WARNING

Do not lift the front wheels (non-drive wheels). This alters
the oil’s position in the drive axle, draining it away from the
drive pinion and its bearings. If the pinion is rotated under
these conditions for any period of time, bearings will overheat
resulting in axle damage or failure.
These instructions ; about running the pinion bearing dry ;are correct .
For a FRONT engine coach, but a DP , with the pinion facing the rear , the pinion bearing actually gets more oil ; and with the crown gear running through 16 quarts of oil ( as is the case with a lot of DP differentials ) I wouldn't worry about the bearings, spider and side gears; in a tow situation ; because the angle of the differential on a 30'+ coach would probably only equal climbing a 3% grade.
Now if the entire tow route was up a 6% grade , all bets are off.

Tags
class a, tow