Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #1

Having Trouble Finding High Load Index Tires

Hi All,

First - I really apologize if this has been asked before (like hundreds of times), but I've searched the forum(s) and not finding what I'm looking for. I've got less than a year RV experience (bought my first RV last year), and recently found out the tires (all 7) are approx 10-12 years old. I know that is a big safety no-no (didn't know to look at tire age when I bought it). Here is some spec info:

- 2000 Southwind 32' (Ford)
- GVWR = 20,500 lbs
- Front GAWR = 7,000
- Rear GAWR = 13,500
- Tire size = 245 / 70R / 19.5
- Located in Washington State (just FYI)

Current tires are Double-Coin with a max single / dual of 5,675 and 5,510, which I believe puts them at a load index of about 141.

I'm having trouble finding tires online that have a load index of at least 141, I'd much rather get a higher index to increase my safety margin. Of course, would want all-position tires. I suspect the cost of a high load index rating will cause my ears to bleed.

Can anybody provide tire suggestions and / or links to places that likely have these tires?

Thank you so much!!
squidchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 02:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
Hi All,

First - I really apologize if this has been asked before (like hundreds of times), but I've searched the forum(s) and not finding what I'm looking for. I've got less than a year RV experience (bought my first RV last year), and recently found out the tires (all 7) are approx 10-12 years old. I know that is a big safety no-no (didn't know to look at tire age when I bought it). Here is some spec info:

- 2000 Southwind 32' (Ford)

- GVWR = 20,500 lbs

- Front GAWR = 7,000

- Rear GAWR = 13,500

- Tire size = 245 / 70R / 19.5

- Located in Washington State (just FYI)

Current tires are Double-Coin with a max single / dual of 5,675 and 5,510, which I believe puts them at a load index of about 141.

I'm having trouble finding tires online that have a load index of at least 141, I'd much rather get a higher index to increase my safety margin. Of course, would want all-position tires. I suspect the cost of a high load index rating will cause my ears to bleed.

Can anybody provide tire suggestions and / or links to places that likely have these tires?

Thank you so much!!

Have you tried simpletire.com?
Old 01-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #3

Google RV tires

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest calling a local tire vendor and talking to someone there. Give them the weights and ask what load range they recommend. Get some quotes for a good quality tire. Then get back on line and do some research. I would not recommend a lad range that provided for additional safety factor.

When I was looking for tires the only tire they had in stock was an off brand that I did not want. They gave me quotes of 3 brands that I was familiar with and ultimately decided to go with Yokohama, took a week to get from the regional warehouse. All 3 vendors offered the same tires so I suspect they were checking the same warehouses. I wanted Toyo's but couldn't find any.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:09 PM   #5

Tha_Rooster and Fast E,

Thank you for the suggestions, I did a lot of googling and have been to simpletire. I guess I did not be a little more specific in my post. It's not that I can't find that size tire, it's that for an all-position tire the highest load index I can find is 136. The 141 double-coins I have now are no longer made in that size.

Jacwjames, the places I've called pretty much give me the same options I'm finding online.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Maybe I'm mistaken trying to get another set of 141s.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track by looking at it this way:

What if I take just my Rear GAWR (13,500 lbs), divide that by 4, which equals 3,375 lbs giving me an LI of approx 123. If I add a 20% extra safety factor to 3,375 (4,050), then I wouldn't need an LI of more than approx 129.

OR

Would I instead divide the Rear GAWR by 3 (If one of the 4 duals had a blowout), which would = 4,500, giving an LI of 133?

Thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it!
Old 01-21-2022, 11:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
Tha_Rooster and Fast E,

Thank you for the suggestions, I did a lot of googling and have been to simpletire. I guess I did not be a little more specific in my post. It's not that I can't find that size tire, it's that for an all-position tire the highest load index I can find is 136. The 141 double-coins I have now are no longer made in that size.

Jacwjames, the places I've called pretty much give me the same options I'm finding online.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Maybe I'm mistaken trying to get another set of 141s.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track by looking at it this way:

What if I take just my Rear GAWR (13,500 lbs), divide that by 4, which equals 3,375 lbs giving me an LI of approx 123. If I add a 20% extra safety factor to 3,375 (4,050), then I wouldn't need an LI of more than approx 129.

OR

Would I instead divide the Rear GAWR by 3 (If one of the 4 duals had a blowout), which would = 4,500, giving an LI of 133?

Thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it!

You must have been a Nuke rate Chief, like too much math. However by the numbers, the obvious choice is the higher number carrying the whole weight on 3 tires, except real world 2 tires carry half the load and 1 tire carries half the load. Probability of that happening? From the post you have made I would say very slim.

I'm sure the higher rated tires are also higher ply rating and harder than the lower number tires, which results in harsher ride quality and aggravates the evils of the F53 front suspension. Go for the 20% margin and enjoy the ride improvement.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:50 AM   #7

I'm one who tends not to want to "over-think" the load index issue. I'm not completely positive but I believe your coach came from the factory with Michelin XRV that had a load range F / 12-ply rating ...what Fleetwood determined was adequate for the coach loaded to the maximum weights. Most seem satisfied with moving to a load range G / 14-ply rating. You could go to a load range H (which I believe is the maximum for that size but tire experts can correct me if that is incorrect), would not only be pricier but might give a slightly harsher ride.

Toyo makes a great tire in that size that has a load range H / 16-ply rating, the M143. I believe the load index is in that 134-136 range and is more than adequate for an extra safety margin in my opinion.

https://www.motorhometires.com/produ...-be-undersold/
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I'm one who tends not to want to "over-think" the load index issue. I'm not completely positive but I believe your coach came from the factory with Michelin XRV that had a load range F / 12-ply rating ...what Fleetwood determined was adequate for the coach loaded to the maximum weights. Most seem satisfied with moving to a load range G / 14-ply rating. You could go to a load range H (which I believe is the maximum for that size but tire experts can correct me if that is incorrect), would not only be pricier but might give a slightly harsher ride.

Toyo makes a great tire in that size that has a load range H / 16-ply rating, the M143. I believe the load index is in that 134-136 range and is more than adequate for an extra safety margin in my opinion.

https://www.motorhometires.com/produ...-be-undersold/
Sumitomo or Yokohamas

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
Sumitomo or Yokohamas
Absolutely!!

My three favorite brands are Toyo, Sumitomo, and Yokohama for RV tires.

The Toyo M143 immediately came to my mind as I knew it came in a Load Range H. I wasn't sure about the other two.

However, I just checked and the Sumitomo ST719 does come in a Load Range H in that size also:

Brochure for ST719

The ST719 I believe is manufactured in the U.S. at Sumitomo's Buffalo plant.

I haven't found a Yokohama in a 245/70R19.5 that has a load range H. That's not to say there isn't one but I have yet to find it. The Yokohama RY023 comes in that size and is a very popular tire. However, it is a Load Range G / 14-ply rating. The RY203 is made in Yokohama's U.S. plant in Mississippi.

to OP: In all honesty, if it were me, I'd stick with a Load Range G in your application. It will give the best compromise between comfort, handling, ride quality, and price. Moving to a Load Range H not only is more pricey but will most likely give a slightly worse ride. To me, I think it's overkill to go to a Load Range H in a short gasoline Class A as you have ...but that's just my personal opinion. Others I'm sure will disagree.

If you prefer shopping in person, check with Les Schwab, a northwest favorite, as they can actually acquire most any tire for you and most locations traditionally give RVers good service.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #10

Thanks for all the feedback!

RealNiceTent - Funny! I could have been a nuke (ET) but decided to go conventional (for various reasons). Advanced ET was more than enough math that I cared for, not too bad though, made it 21 years. I didn't know that (probably on average) an H would give a harsher-harder ride than a G. Makes sense though.

Fast E - Thanks for the input, Toyo, Yokos, and Sumis seem to be the favorites here.

theroc - Thanks, didn't know that the originals were probably F, I know I would not have been comfortable with having Fs if I was the first owner. I looked at Yoko's web site and it says the RY023 does not come in a 245.

I made myself a cheatsheet of the models that Toyo, Yoko, and Sumi has for the 245/70R19.5 size. It looks like for Toyo there is no G option, Yoko and Sumi each have 1 G type. The prices are from simpletire, maybe I can get them cheaper from a Les Schwab or other place that offers a military discount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo M154-M143-5.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	354527  

Tags
tire, tires