RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #15

To Arch Hoagland - I believe Texas is now in the process of eliminating vehicle inspections all together. I did get an inspection this year, but since we have a gasser it is the same standard inspection as a regular auto (lights, signals, tires, brakes, wipers, etc.). There are a handful of counties that require smog emissions testing (the largest cities and surrounding counties), but where we live is just outside those testing areas. As for the headers, we have the full Banks Power System which includes their headers. The system came with the original purchase. We have had no problems with ours and believe the previous owners had the same experience. I know we run cooler, and maintain 63-65mph at 2200rpm. This last trip we got 7.6mpg; on fairly steep grades we dropped out of overdrive and went up to 2800rpm with little loss of speed. Check our signature for more details of our setup.

So, in conclusion, I think you can't go wrong with the Banks products.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Go with the thickest flange, less chance of warping
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The reason I ask what state he lives in was that he said:

"My plan is to get a Five Star tune and put a set of headers on and delete the catalytic converter"

In California if you delete the catalytic converter you won't pass smog.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The reason I ask what state he lives in was that he said:

"My plan is to get a Five Star tune and put a set of headers on and delete the catalytic converter"

In California if you delete the catalytic converter you won't pass smog.
Over 10,000 GVW it is basically a safety inspection,the inspector would have to bend over to check. Plus I will install a resonator in the cats place to keep noise down. I also have a connection for inspections. A friend that specializes in exhaust told me the exhaust temps will be a lot lower without the restriction. I will keep it and put it back on if it ever turns in to an issue.
369dragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2001 Mirada had a couple broken studs (one on each side). They were on my "watch" list for several years, never go worst, never leaked. but I know they were on borrowed time. When I sold the MH, I showed them to the buyer, and told them to keep an eye on them as they needed to be replaced.

My "New-to-Us" 1999 Southwind has one broken stud on the drivers side. Here are my thoughts:

The OEM studs (as crappy as they were) lasted almost 20 years. Even if I replaced the studs with the same OEM crappy studs (which I wouldn't), they should easily last another 20 years. Way, way beyond my plans to keep the MH

Next spring (or maybe this fall), I plan on removing the manifolds and installing all new new studs and gaskets. I'm doing this for my piece of mind, and its a selling point in a few years if I decide to upgrade.

This is a $15k coach, spending 2k to get a meager improvement in performance is not in my cards. I looked at aftermarket headers, tuners, etc. Even if they produce the gains their sales literature promises, the gains are so small (if they really are there) that even if I kept this coach for 20 years, I'd never recoup the cost, and it would do little to nothing to add resale value to an OEM configuration.

I can spend that 2k on other, more measurable, improvements, i.e. new shocks, tires, airbags, new COPs and plugs, etc.

To get the maximum HP out of the 300 hp, I make sure the maintenance items are up to date, i.e. clean MAF sensor, replace air filter.

The Cat Converter on mine was partially plugged and the PO removed it. I suspect on older MHs of my vintage, dealing with a partially plugged cat converter will improve performance more than any aftermarket header or tuner.

This is all my opinion and the direction I'm going...

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #20

I installed a set of Thorley headers on our 03, Workhorse chassis. They are not ceramic coated, they're T304 stainless steel and have a 5/8" flange. Direct bolt in, no cutting or welding and no problem with O2 sensors.