RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Heading back into Florida after Irma.

Would like to know when RV's that took refuge during Irma out of state are returning. I'm in Virginia and just wondering when I should head back. I hear that they don't want people rushing back in so that it doesn't cluster traffic for people and resources to assist. Also if road debris clear, hate to have a blow out or get damage after I fled safely without damage. Hope everyone is safe...I have to get to Palm Beach County.
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am in North Florida, a lot of power lines down and debris on the roads. they are telling us maybe a week or 2 until power is restored. most of the fuel stations are closed and still without fuel. It might be wise to give it a day or 2 to get sorted out before you head back. Conditions here are not all that great right now.
Most of us should have power back by the end of the week in north Florida but down south things are much worse.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have a lot of RV's from all over Florida here in South Alabama. A lot of them are thinking about heading back home Tuesday or Wednesday.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #4

I figured it...I got power in Boynton Beach FL where i live just worried about getting in and safely. I agree we should wait till around Thursday
Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Between interstates flooding, major power outages (half the state), many fuel stations closed due to lack of power and fuel...

Well, now isn't a good time yet. We are in NE Florida. There are curfews in a number of towns due to lack of power, streets flooding, etc. The St. Johns River in Jacksonville has overflowed its banks.

I suggest you keep watching and following the news in the coming days. By then some others on iRV2 may have some better news also. But for now, even I-95 in South Carolina has issues as the rains and wind from Irma are there as I type this (Monday night). You might slowly start working your way down to North Carolina, but I am not sure about much further just yet.

BTW, I am typing this on my laptop using the Mobley hotspot in my car. Most of our county does not have power yet. It is slowly being restored. Areas further south with major damage are not so lucky.

I wish the news was better, but it is what it is right now.

Be safe.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #6

Thanks !! I agree with all. Plan on waiting out...
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

We are currently in an RV park around Savannah, GA in our MH. We evacuated Key Largo with our MH towing our SUV, and our pickup truck towing our 26' boat. We had multiple boat trailer issues and head to leave the trailer an boat in a trailer repair yard about 30 miles South of Ft Drum, FL.

We are planning on heading back to Key Largo on Thursday, hopefully meeting up with family members from New Orleans who are driving down to help us with water remediation in our home. We had a neighbor in Key Largo go into our home and he reported that we had about 4" of water in our home. So we want to get that issue resolved ASAP to minimize any mold issues.
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #8

We're in Hotsprings, heading to JAX tomorrow, if our destination is going to be liveable...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #9

We are planning to get back into north FL on Friday , then home on Saturday. All subject to change depending on what we see and hear on the news
Old 09-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm going to wait until next week to head for the Miami area.
Hope Interstate won't be too crowed by then. So everyone going that way, start back in the next couple days.
They should have all roads cleared by the 22nd when I get there.
Probably will still be no electric then. :(
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
We are currently in an RV park around Savannah, GA in our MH. We evacuated Key Largo with our MH towing our SUV, and our pickup truck towing our 26' boat. We had multiple boat trailer issues and head to leave the trailer an boat in a trailer repair yard about 30 miles South of Ft Drum, FL.

We are planning on heading back to Key Largo on Thursday, hopefully meeting up with family members from New Orleans who are driving down to help us with water remediation in our home. We had a neighbor in Key Largo go into our home and he reported that we had about 4" of water in our home. So we want to get that issue resolved ASAP to minimize any mold issues.
On Monday, residents and business owners who rushed to assess the damage could go no further than the Racetrac gas station in Florida City. A police roadblock prevented them from getting onto the Overseas Highway.

But residents and business owners in Key Largo, Tavernier and Islamorada can return, starting at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Entry requires a yellow re-entry sticker or proof of residency or business ownership in those three cities. A roadblock will be put around Mile Marker 74, just before Sea Oates Beach where part of the road has washed out. An FDOT road crew will repair the road tomorrow.

But on Monday, officials said they could not guarantee the roadways or other infrastructure was safe.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

Thank you for the update! We did pick up the re entry stickers before the storm. So we should be fine getting back in.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #13

We plan on returning on Thursday.

Tags
florida