Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2023, 01:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Headlamp wiring connector overheating

The Deutsch diode receptacle for my headlamps (located in the electrical bay outside below the driver's window) is overheating. You can see by the photos how it melted. I replaced the diode receptacle and female but it is still overheating when both headlamps are plugged in and turned on. If only one headlamp is plugged in and turned on it will not overheat, only when both are plugged in. The 2 15A auto resetting fuses do not get hot, only the diode. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	384531   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	384532  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	384533   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	384534  

ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2023, 07:58 AM   #2

If fuses or breakers aren’t tripping it tells me that there is a high resistance in the connector. Bad crimps are typically the cause although it can also be the connections within what the connector is hooked to.

As an example - the plastic connector that holds the wires into the back of the dash air blower speed switch for our dash A/C and Heat is all melted. Looking at the plug and the switch it connects to - it’s obvious the switch was failing due to its poor design (the contact tabs are held to the back of the switch by rivets that loosen over time and use due to resistance in the connections).
The heat created across the joint was such that whatever 2 metallic connections in the assembly were in use would get hot enough to melt the plastic yet not blow the fuse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10DC77C7-FE9E-497C-B9B9-88DC716AFD30.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	384572   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BAEF77D-292D-4913-A0FD-48DF6088E2F9.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	384573  

Old 01-18-2023, 08:26 AM   #3

Just a thought...
I know on SOME newer vehicles, as delivered from the manufacturer, the Low Beams and the High Beams will never be illuminated together (as was the practice years ago in the old Sealed Beam era).
I have seen modifications to have the Low Beams to stay on when the High Beams are on.
If this modification was made on to your rig, this could explain the high heat generated at the connector.

Or if the headlamp bulbs were upgraded to a higher wattage bulbs (if the lamps are halogen).

Tim
Old 01-18-2023, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Just a thought...
I know on SOME newer vehicles, as delivered from the manufacturer, the Low Beams and the High Beams will never be illuminated together (as was the practice years ago in the old Sealed Beam era).
I have seen modifications to have the Low Beams to stay on when the High Beams are on.
If this modification was made on to your rig, this could explain the high heat generated at the connector.

Tim
This can also happen when people re-lamp with high wattage lamps without upgrading the wiring and socket (porcelain). In fact, I will say that this is the most common cause of melted connectors.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascdds View Post
The Deutsch diode receptacle for my headlamps (located in the electrical bay outside below the driver's window) is overheating. You can see by the photos how it melted. I replaced the diode receptacle and female but it is still overheating when both headlamps are plugged in and turned on. If only one headlamp is plugged in and turned on it will not overheat, only when both are plugged in. The 2 15A auto resetting fuses do not get hot, only the diode. Any help would be appreciated.
Are the plug and receptacle shown in your first post for a single lamp? Or are both lamps wired together in a harness where all the current of both lamps go through that connector?

If all the current for both lamps go through that one connector - I would be suspect of either the headlamps have been upgraded without consideration of the wiring and associated connectors, or poor wiring terminations.
Bottom line, and the point of my previous post is - melted plastic, whether it’s the insulation or the terminal receptacle or plug is not always evidenced by a blown fuse or tripped relay (12 volts across 1 ohm of resistance is the same as a 12 watt light bulb of heat concentrated within the plug, aka 42 btu).
Old 01-18-2023, 09:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Just a thought...

Or if the headlamp bulbs were upgraded to a higher wattage bulbs (if the lamps are halogen).

Tim

There was a recall about 3 or 4 years ago and I do believe that they modified it so that the low beams would stay on when the high beams are on. However, the connector heats up even if the high beams are off and I can't understand why it would take 3 or 4 years for the modification to cause a problem. Also, the headlamp bulbs are original and have not been changed.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Are the plug and receptacle shown in your first post for a single lamp? Or are both lamps wired together in a harness where all the current of both lamps go through that connector?

If all the current for both lamps go through that one connector - I would be suspect of either the headlamps have been upgraded without consideration of the wiring and associated connectors, or poor wiring terminations.
Bottom line, and the point of my previous post is - melted plastic, whether it’s the insulation or the terminal receptacle or plug is not always evidenced by a blown fuse or tripped relay (12 volts across 1 ohm of resistance is the same as a 12 watt light bulb of heat concentrated within the plug, aka 42 btu).
Both lamps are wired together in a harness and all current of both lamps go through that connector. However, the headlamps and wiring have not been upgraded or changed in any way.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #8

The last post in this thread may be of interest to you (in fact, all of the posts in the thread help in determining the final outcome) - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/hea...wn-494295.html

It sure sounds like the problem your having.

Tags
heat, heating, overheating, wiring