Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #1

Headlight Alignment

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, and a complete rookie to RV'ing. I was gifted a 30 ft 1998 Coachmen Miranda. It has 40k miles and runs like brand new. The issue I am having is the headlights are not lined up correctly. Driver side is pointing too far up, and the passenger side too far down. I have checked youtube and anywhere else that might have a video on how to adjust them. Due to the age of the rig, I have been unable to find anything on how to correctly adjust them. I have tried the screws that are on the actual headlight assembly. They turn but dont move the headlight in anyway. I took it to a repair shop that works on a lot of Class A RV's but even they could not get them to adjust. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have single round headlights on each side.

Thanks
bcso93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 07:47 PM   #2

Photo's would help, can't remember the exact footage but in the old days we would line up RV or car approx 8 plus feet from garage doors in the evening, turn on lights and dial them in, again that was long ago.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:51 PM   #3

There are two adjustment screws to adjust headlamps. One for vertical one for horizontal adjustment. I'd bet the moving parts are corroded in-place. Sparingly use Liquid Wrench on everything that looks like it should move/adjust, then try again next day.
These are standard automotive headlamp assemblies, nothing special.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #4

I will try to get some photos uploaded today.. was thinking about just buying new headlight light assembly but so far every RV parts place I can find online has nothing even close to the round headlights I need. They have them for the Coachmen Catalina, Catalina Sport, and Santara.
bcso93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

Most are from a car and should have a DOT # on the lens, snap a pic blow it up. If you Google # should come up or a chart. I have to adjust mine from the rear. Older ones had springs some newer ones have pivot balls. I supposed the screws may have become rusty and plastic threads stripped rather than thread in or out.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! It's really pretty basic. They either adjust or they don't. The screws may be stripped. If so, the only solution is to replace the housings. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #7

Can you open the hood and see the adjusters?
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #8

The headlight bulb buckets used in motorhomes are usually off the shelf units used in some popular truck or van, often a model that had recently been discontinued when the motorhome was made where there was surplus inventory. For example my 2002 Safari Trek uses the headlight bezel assembly from a 1990-99 International 4700 / 4900 medium duty truck, and the tail light assembly from a 1992-1994 Ford E series van even though it is built on Chevy / Workhorse P series chassis.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The headlight bulb buckets used in motorhomes are usually off the shelf units used in some popular truck or van, often a model that had recently been discontinued when the motorhome was made where there was surplus inventory.
The auto industry runs on JIT-Just In Time. Parts are received within hours of being assembled into a finished vehicle, there aren't over runs to dispose of when a change is made. It's why computer chips currently plague the auto industry.

Most likely the RV designers have a few light choices that would work. Purchasing makes the best deal and that is what is used.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #10

They do Just in Time now, not 30 years ago.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #11

If you find out what headlight assembly wss used, there are usually after market units available if the car was at all popular.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #12

I assume OP has a Mirada, not Miranda, and that it looks like this:

If that's correct, they are standard sealed beam headlights. No "from another car" to do here.

I suspect the adjusters are just not working. Time for "take it apart to see how it works" guy to go to work here. Whatever is supposed to move when you turn the adjusting screw isn't moving. Pretty common for sealed beam headlight setups. Might just take some pushing in the bulb to get it freed up.

(And I did just in time stuff at a GM car plant over 30 years ago, not that it matters here.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #13

Just in Time does not mean "whatever is in the parts bin". The vehicle is engineered for specific parts. Those parts come in "just in time" for when needed for the unit.
Most parts are NOT "just in time". Just in time implies that they are VIN sequenced. Like Engine / Trans / Seats / dashboard etc for a particular VIN. Headlights typically are NOT JIT. But they do come in a crate and are available for the next VIN that is being built.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #14

VIN sequencing and JIT are unrelated. Parts are VIN sequenced because of options and after sale tracking. ALL parts are JIT, even a box of a thousand washers.

Tags
light, lights