Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2022, 08:43 PM   #1

Headlight upgrades

Trying to upgrade the headlight bulbs to Led bulbs. But our headlights have a locking ring that actually locks the HID bulb into the housing. We have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter. Anybody with information PLEASE HELP!
DCDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #2

Well Sir,
The very first thing you need to do is, do a volt test at the final point BEFORE spending any money on LED'S or any other type. The final point is where the wires enter the back of your headlight bulbs. In a very, very large number of motorhomes built, the voltage loss for the headlights is considerable due to many factors. They use the same harness on multiple models due to the ease of making ONE HARNESS for all. And that means in lots of cases, you end up with way too much wiring for the headlight harness and that amounts to voltage loss.

I know, I did this test on a few coaches and each and every time, I came up with less voltage than what is supplied. I've watched more than once, a person hook up a larger gauge wire directly from the batteries to the back of a headlight and that headlight went CONSIDERABLY BRIGHTER than when it was using the supplied harness.

So, just a suggestion here. Check your incoming voltage at those headlights. Then decide what you think would be an improvement. LED headlight bulbs are improving daily, no doubt about it. And there are adapters out there that can adapt ones that may not fit so well. And one other thing, the way an incandescent or Halogen bulb emits light, is quite different than an LED bulb. That means the reflective housing might not reflect the actual light emitted from an LED in the same fashion as it would from the original bulb it was designed for.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:18 PM   #3

You mention HID bulbs. If it's just an after market HID bulb in a factory housing designed for halogen, an LED replacement should fit. If the whole headlight assembly is a specific built HID unit that could be different. If just a bulb, you need to know what model bulb it originally used. One physical problem with some LEDs is the cooling fan assembly is sometimes too large if the housing socket is recessed. If there's a dust boot these sometimes need to be modified to fit the fan assembly. A lot depends on the brand.

HID won't suffer from the same low voltage problem as standard halogens because they use a regulated high voltage driver to light and maintain the bulb.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:19 AM   #4

There a some LED bulbs that don’t need a cooling fan and are easy to install.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:56 AM   #5

Are you sure you have HIDs? I don’t know of any that came with them. Do you have a pic of your housing and what year and model of MH you have?
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
There a some LED bulbs that don’t need a cooling fan and are easy to install.
Agreed, we changed our headlights on our BayStar last year to LED and it was a simple swap.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:05 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I have used M4 Products as a source for all my RV LED lights. Call or email Steve with any of your questions and they are very good at explaining what will be the best fit for your situation. They helped me with LED bulbs for my 2003 Alpine headlights.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:40 PM   #8

I removed the stock headlight, purchased brand new headlight set and did retrofit with bi-xenon projector, photos below was before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	367965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	367966  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	367967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	367968  

Old 06-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00zx6r View Post
I removed the stock headlight, purchased brand new headlight set and did retrofit with bi-xenon projector, photos below was before and after.
Yes, the projectors are the best way to go. Nice update to your coach!
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00zx6r View Post

00zx6r,

This looks good.

Would you care to share your info with us?
Where did the bi-xenon projector kit come from?
Will it be possible to do this with other model OEM headlights?
Was their a significant improvement in visibility?
So was it worth the effort?
Have always wanted to upgrade but never seen a kit to do so. But then again the Bi-xeon bulb won't last any longer than the stock bulb so I'm not sure it's worth it as it is a pain to change bulbs in my rig already. wish it was LED for longevity.

But it sure looks nice!
Old 06-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I love the bi-xenon projector headlights. We have them on 2 of our cars, but I didn't see a place that had them for our 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus when I replaced those headlights last year.

Our car headlights are original from 2009 on one. The 2007 had one headlight go 2 years ago (actually, the ballast went out). I replaced the complete assembly since the lens were in bad shape.

I'm completely OK with replacing the headlights every 13 years.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I love the bi-xenon projector headlights. We have them on 2 of our cars, but I didn't see a place that had them for our 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus when I replaced those headlights last year.

Our car headlights are original from 2009 on one. The 2007 had one headlight go 2 years ago (actually, the ballast went out). I replaced the complete assembly since the lens were in bad shape.

I'm completely OK with replacing the headlights every 13 years.

DRM901,

!3 years is really good. I've had bi-xeon headlights in my last two vehicles.
A 2012 VW Touareg and my current 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and had to replace either the lamp or the ballast in both after 7 years , which isn't bad.
So I think that it would be better than the stock bulb after all.

But still am not aware of any way to accomplish it.

Tags
headlight, light, upgrade, upgrades