Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 01:35 AM   #1

headlights don't work 2008 Ventana

I just bought this 2008 Newmar Ventana, the headlights shut off then came back on in a few minutes, it did this twice while driving. Now the headlights will not turn on. The fog light circuit breaker was clicking and got hot. Any help?
Johnrmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #2

Lamps

In my years as a mechanic I've found if you have a circuit acting oddly its usually a ground wire problem, when activating the headlamp or any other circuit the ground is critical as it provides the path for the 12volt positive feed back to the ground terminal on the battery, a completed circuit.
If the normal ground is faulty or missing the 12volt positive will seek another path back to the negative on the battery, usually thru other components and electrical systems causing unusual things to occur in unrelated systems. You need to start checking votages, If you don't all ready have a volt meter, harbor freight has one for about 10 bucks, works pretty good and is easy to use.
If you already have a knowledge of the electrical system, I'm sorry for getting so basic, but wish you luck, I unfortunately learned this lesson the hard way, while at a Chevy dealer in the early 80s I was working on a corvette that burned up all the harness
, turns out the ground wire from the battery was loose and the car was grounding thru other systems overheating the wiring and melting them inside all the harnesses, ended up rewiring the whole car.
My dad always told me the hardest learned lessons stick with yo the best, that one was a doosy.

Don
2000 American Eagle
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:29 AM   #3

A new to you Rv with electrical issues , headlights in particular .

You need to figure out if the Previous Owner has been messing with the lights .

Some factory circuitry will not tolerate high wattage replacement bulbs .

As Don , mentioned you need to go over the wiring looking for issues , but because a PO may have added something to the system , you need to check everything .

Have to ask if your coach is on a Freightliner chassis ?
Do you have a multimeter and a 12 volt test light ?
I believe your headlight self re-setting circuit breaker may have failed completely , so you need to find and test it.

I had a Freightliner headlight relay ; for high/low beam right side headlight ; stick in it's high setting , and the way Newmar had wired the front cap and headlights , the relay was powering both right and left high beam filaments, not a problem on high beam ; BUT when you switched to low beam the left side relay was powering both low beam filaments and the high beams didn't go off ; power draw was doubled and the headlight 12 volt circuit breaker , that powered both relays , would trip every 30/40 secs.
Like Don , I spent my working career in automotive mostly doing electrical systems and I've seen some awful DIY messes , so if you see some thing that doesn't look factory ( even some stuff that is ) that doesn't look right , there's a good possibility it isn't.
Take pictures and post them of anything you have questions about and we'll do our best to talk you through a proper repair.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Since the fog light circuit breaker is hot, you are either pulling too many amps, it's grounding out, or you have a bad circuit breaker.

I would start with the breaker. Verify it is sized correctly, not corroded. Replace it.

I would disconnect the lights, one at a time, and see if breaker is still hot. If so, the circuit and/or light is grounding out. If it isn't, it still could be the lights pull too many amps if both are on.

A necessary tool is a multimeter. I really like this one. (I have several HF ones, but the clamp on amp, capacitance, temp probe, etc makes this one exceptional. )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Z3...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the headlight, see if you have voltage at the headlight. If not, start tracing it back. Do you have voltage at the fuse? At the switch? As mentioned, some install a relay to handle low voltage at the headlight. (Great idea. ) Check for one. It may be bad.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #5

This is Spartin Chassis, I have not found a circuit breaker for headlights, the previous owner had problems with loose connections at the Smart wheel module which the headlights run through.
I got wiring diagram from Newmar which is no help it doesn't show fuses or breaker.
Thanks all.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrmnelson View Post
This is Spartin Chassis, I have not found a circuit breaker for headlights, the previous owner had problems with loose connections at the Smart wheel module which the headlights run through.
I got wiring diagram from Newmar which is no help it doesn't show fuses or breaker.
Thanks all.
Is the wiring diagram labeled as being from Spartan for your chassis , or do you need to contact Spartan for wiring schematics .
Old 05-15-2022, 06:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrmnelson View Post
Thanks all.
I would call Newmar again and ask for fuse & circuit breaker layout. Our Tiffin has a laminated card for each fuse area.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #8

Got it fixed! Turned out that the headlights had a ground not to good and the wiring to headlights had poor splices. Took to another technician that knew stuff he removed splices and soldered new wires in. Removed and replaced ground wire. My final work was done after being worked on by a large repair shop and a mobile RV repair. Both of them knew nothing about the circuit breaker which it does have.
Thanks to all!

Tags
headlight, headlights, light, lights, vent, ventana